• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Steve, do you eat all your meals at the stove?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :smile:

Steve, the mussels look really good. I like the combination of the mussels and chorizo. Especially homemade chorizo.

Homemade%20Halibut%20fish%20and%20chips%

Homemade Halibut Fish and Chips with a Dill Pickle Tartar sauce.

• Like 6

Fuzzy iPhone picture but you get the idea.

Bought some camargue red rice and found a salad recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi. Rice, quinoa, dried apricots, spring onion, normal onion, fried rocket, pistachios, zest and juice of orange, bit of lemon juice, and garlic.

An explosion of colour, texture, and taste.

salad.jpg

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Steve, do you eat all your meals at the stove?

Nope I just cook and plate the meals there. I guess I'm a one trick pony with the photography. I shoot on auto and the photos look better under the incandescent light of the vent hood than room fluorescents.

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)
  • Like 1

Ann_T: I dread it every time you have a post with halibut. Drives me crazy with WANT...We do get it once in a while "fresh" as opposed to frozen. I never seem to be able to keep it from drying out a bit. Any guidance on cooking juicy halibut?

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I love chicken feet dim sum style. A friend just dropped off 10 lbs of clean frozen feet.

Any ideas for these other than as stock and braised dim sum style would be appreciated.

Chicken feet1609.jpg

A manicure will be needed before any recipe! :laugh:

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ann_T: I dread it every time you have a post with halibut. Drives me crazy with WANT...We do get it once in a while "fresh" as opposed to frozen. I never seem to be able to keep it from drying out a bit. Any guidance on cooking juicy halibut?

Dejah, It doesn't matter whether you pan fry, grill, or finish off in the oven, just don't over cook it.

The halibut last night was fresh, but the season comes to an end in a few day and then I'll have to settle for frozen until March. Even the frozen isn't bad, since it is flash frozen at sea.

Braised lamb shank over mashed potatoes with turnips, carrots glazed with bourbon honey and cornbread. I browned the lamb shank in a cast iron dutch oven then deglazed the pan and cooked in a pressure cooker. The PC really elevates the quality of the stock. It was a bit of a hike but I took the photo at the table.

P1020210(1).JPG

• Like 6

I love chicken feet dim sum style. A friend just dropped off 10 lbs of clean frozen feet.

Any ideas for these other than as stock and braised dim sum style would be appreciated.

attachicon.gifChicken feet1609.jpg

A manicure will be needed before any recipe! :laugh:

Filipinos and South Africans grill them. I haven't done it, but I reckon you'd want to steam or braise them first--similar prep to if you were planning to deep fry them for dim sum applications. I guess if you wanted to go down the South African road you could dust them with a peri peri seasoning (say, ground up bird's eye chillies, a bit of salt, a bit of pepper, maybe some tomato and lemon powder if you've got either one on hand) prior to grilling.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Steve - your plate looks amazing. Don't know what calls out to me the most - the lamb or the carrots. image.jpg

Crispy chicken skin, hand chopped chicken thigh and scallions for simple lettuce wraps.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Couple of recent dinners.

-----------------------------

• Short-cut pork spare ribs steamed w/ soy bean/broad bean paste (陳年豆瓣醬) [Mingteh Food] (this one), chopped smashed garlic, julienned ginger, sliced fresh Chinese mushrooms (tung koo), vegetable oil, slight drizzle of sesame oil, dash of Shaohsing wine. Garnished w/ chopped scallions & coriander leaves.

• Halved Brussels sprouts & sliced Marconi pepper sautéed w/ garlic & vegetable oil.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9781a_800.jpg

DSCN9784a_800.jpg

-------------------------------------

• Beef short ribs browned in vegetable oil (seasoned by frying smashed garlic in it then reserving the garlic), tossed w/ mutenka shiro miso paste [Maruman] (see here and here for more info), the garlic added back in, sufficient water added & the mix simmered for a bit; halved/trimmed bamboo shoots [First World brand] added, followed after a while by young daikon, lily buds, Chinese-type shiitake mushrooms (far koo), and the mix braised for about 1½ - 2 hours or so in total.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9785a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 6

This ones for huiray, a totally improvisational conglomeration of quasi chinese influence. I started with a little toasted sesame oil, added canola then stir fried leftover sous vide pork (ala Thomas Keller), shiitake mushrooms cooked in butter, fresh shrimp, baby bok choy, onion, garlic,and finished with Lee Kum Kee spicy noodle sauce. MM84321 I took the photo in the bedroom closet to add a little flair.

P1020217(1).JPG

• Like 8

Nice dish, Steve!! :-)

Reminds me a bit too of the last episode of Top Chef in New Orleans, which featured the Vietnamese community in N.O. - in which the winning dish was said to best "represent the spirit of the Vietnamese Community in New Orleans", not that it was the best "Vietnamese Dish".

My son is home for a couple of days. Promised him Mexican tonight and Prime Rib tomorrow night.

I have this huge cast iron round griddle given to me by a neighbour a few years ago that I had never used. But I used it twice in the last week to make a couple of stir fry type dishes - one with pork the other with beef tenderloin. I don't think I will use my wok again. It was perfect for tonight's Chicken Fajitas.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Marinating%20October

Marinated the chicken in a little of the homemade salsa.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Searing%20October%20

On the griddle. Lots of room - no crowding. 23" in diameter.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Searing%20October%20

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Veggies%20October%20

Moved the chicken off to the side. Added the onions and green peppers.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20Flour%20Tortillas%20

Served off the griddle with homemade flour tortillas.

Chicken%20Fajitas%20October%2029th%2C%20

With salsa and Guacamole. Matthew made the Guacamole.

• Like 12