• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

I want some lobster mango spring rolls, and oysters, followed by fish soup and wings with TBQ sauce. Um, and a salad.

A very citrusy meal tonight, despite the first light jacket weather of the season. Grilled chicken with shallots, lime juice, and cilantro.

p754094021-4.jpg

Brussels sprouts with garlic, parsley, and lemon juice. Watercress salad with one of the last tomatoes, and store-bought bread to go with

p859446385-4.jpg

• Like 5

Growing up on Strawberry Hill in Kansas City, there was a tavern across the street that had boiled shrimp on Fridays and Dad took us once in a while. I never found anything like it until a few years ago when I came across a recipe called Louisiana Killer shrimp. We had that for dinner tonight with bread, a Latin style salad and dressing made with lime and orange juices, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and fresh oregano. We also had deviled eggs, shrimp sauce, and tartar sauce. Not pictured was dessert, a store bought chocolate pudding cake.

DSCN0843_zpsde0fc7e4.jpg

DSCN0842_zps25d97f49.jpg

DSCN0834_zps41acf8af.jpg

DSCN0833_zpsbcad5753.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Louisiana Killer Shrimp

2 tablespoons rosemary

2 teaspoons dried thyme

1 teaspoon black pepper

5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped

1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

2 quarts chicken broth

3 ounces tomato paste

½ cup butter

1 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled, tails on

Some recipes I have seen use clam juice but I peel the shrimp, add the shells to the above and simmer it - without the shrimp, for a couple of hours. Then I strain out the shells and simmer the shrimp for a minute or two... just until it turns opaque. Serve the shrimp with at least some of the sauce. I have made the boiling liquid ahead and refrigerated it until the next day.

On another site, someone asked for tartar sauce recipes. I gave the one I made up and a lady who says she is a Chef said it was not tartar sauce so i call it nottartar sauce.

NOTTARTAR SAUCE

1 C. Mayo

2 Tbs red sweet Chili sauce or A-1

1/4 C. sweet pickle relish

2-3 Tbs. horseradish

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

Anna, I don't know where you get your patience! If I were that tired and hungry, I'd just grab the duck meat, hoisin sauce and Triscuits, and call it supper. :)

Not sure why I found it necessary to whine! My ususal M.O. Is exactly yours but the duck was a gift and I felt I had to do it justice. Larb is really fast food if you have toasted and ground the rice and crisped the shallots ahead of time.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Once again one can only hope my cooking skills exceed my photography skills. This was a recipe I was trying to recreate from memory. Called Chicken 'n' Apple, it was spiced with powdered ginger, nutmeg and perhaps cloves. It called for chicken parts, apple slices, and small cooking onions. It was a family favourite when the kids were younger but I lost the recipe. The single cipollini you see there was the only one worth using from the pound I bought from a very reputable store on Tuesday. The others were soft and mealy. I will have to keep working on the recipe. The potatoes were sv'd in duck fat and then browned in a cast iron pan.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Spare rib gumbo with tasso, andouille, mulberry smoked bacon and shrimp. Separated and seared the ribs then cooked in the pressure cooker to make a stock. While the ribs were cooking prepped the vegetables for the roux and after the stock was ready made a fairly dark roux. After the meats were added let it cook for an hour or so and left overnight. Added the shrimp tonight when I reheated the gumbo and served over rice.

P1020196(1).JPG

• Like 5

Had made a huge pot of Hot 'n' Sour soup for friends who are under the weather - great cold / virus medicine. After all the tasting and a small bowl for supper, I didn't want to cook supper.

So, it was fried rice with ground chicken, bits of diced vegetables, bean sprouts, ginger, and egg. Very satisfying!

Chicken Fried Rice1600.jpg

Condiments: Saigon Chili Oil and Fu Yu. :smile:

FuYu & Fried Rice1602.jpg

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Kim, I hope Mr. Kim's surgery went well. Moe had rotator cuff earlier this year. Long recovery.

Steve, your gumbo looks very rich. I'm sure it was delicious.

Dejah, I now have a craving for chicken fried rice.

A few of this weeks meals.

Greek%20Lamb%20Shanks%20October%2024th%2

Lamb Shanks - Greek Style.

Chicken%20and%20Southern%20style%20dumpl

Chicken and Southern Style Dumplings.

Sterling%20Silver%20Top%20Sirloin%20Roas

Sterling Silver Beef - Top Sirloin roast - Presalted and roasted at 500°F .

Beef%20Dip%20Sandwiches%20October%2023rd

Leftover roast beef - Beef Dip Sandwiches for breakfast.

• Like 4

AnnaN:

"" potatoes were sv'd in duck fat ""

would you do that again? if so, Id like more details. that's something that interests me.

thanks

I would! Rather large fingerlings halved longways, glob of duck fat, bag flat. Cook 85 C x 1.5 hours. Chilled in ice water. Did not bother with re-warming since I knew my timing left room to brown them slowly enough that they would be heated through. Salted them as they were browning. I don't eat potatoes very often but if I did I would be experimenting with some herbs and seasonings. Hope that's helpful.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann_T

When you say "roasted at 500F" did you do the high heat then turn off the oven and leave for two hours? Or something else? Looks fabulous.

image.jpg

Romaine lettuce, faux caesar dressing, real parmesan cheese and sv'd striploin.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann-T- great looking meals. It's real easy to hit the like button but there is no love button and the greek style lamb shanks are speaking to me. What's the scoop item on the chicken dumpling photo? I'm up for multiple starches at every meal.

Anna N - I'm pretty sure your photo skills are doing justice. Those SV potatoes and chicken dish look great. And thank you for your posts and comments reinforcing the reason for this thread.

huiray - It would be hard to comment on all your prolific posts across the boards but the sockeye salmon dish looks great and doable.

Tonight's supper. Pan seared rib-eye with bearnaise sauce, celeriac puree and asparagus. The rib-eye hit the scales at 1.8# so it was broken down to dinner size portions. The celeriac was cooked with a little rice ( http://food52.com/blog/5293-michel-guerard-s-celeriac-puree) with a little more enrichment from butter and cream. The best ever. I finished the bearnaise sauce with the pan drippins after the steak rested and it was awful tasty.

P1020202(1).JPG

• Like 3

I noticed Ann_T's mention of Sterling Silver beef and wondered if it's a Canadian store grading. - Sobeys. They have a great beef sale on this week - SS prime rib roast @6.99 / lb, usually about 3 - 4 dollars more per lb. I bought the whole trimmed 7-rib chunk still in cryovac. Hope that'll keep well in the freezer for a month or so. Should I wrap it in butcher paper as well?

I also picked up a package of 2 Sterling Silver chuck roasts. It's a blustery night, so I made Chinese Beef Stew. The kitchen smelled wonderful with star anise and cloves. The recipe was for ox tails, but I prefer less work in eating. :rolleyes:

The recipe included fresh lemongrass, which I have never seen in a Chinese recipe. Anyone know if this is common? I really didn't notice any difference from the lemongrass.

Chinese Beef Stew1605.jpg

Eaten with Jasmine rice:

Bowl of Chinese Stew1607.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I noticed Ann_T's mention of Sterling Silver beef and wondered if it's a Canadian store grading. - Sobeys. They have a great beef sale on this week - SS prime rib roast @6.99 / lb, usually about 3 - 4 dollars more per lb. I bought the whole trimmed 7-rib chunk still in cryovac. Hope that'll keep well in the freezer for a month or so. Should I wrap it in butcher paper as well?

Dejah, Sterling Silver is on both sides of the border. It is sold here on the west coast in Thrifty Stores which I believe are now owned by Sobeys.

Spicy%20Pork%20Rice%20Bowl%20October%202

Rice Bowl - Spicy Pork Tenderloin.

• Like 3

Ann_T, that roast beef is a thing of beauty; I could hardly restrain myself from trying to take a bite of that sandwich!

Thanks Judiu.

Ann_T

When you say "roasted at 500F" did you do the high heat then turn off the oven and leave for two hours? Or something else? Looks fabulous.

Anna, No, I roast from start to finish at 500°F. Using Barbara Kafka's high heat method. That little roast took less than 30 minutes. Plus a 15 minute rest. Came out of the oven at 112°F. I use this method not just for beef, but for Pork, turkey, Chicken, Lamb, etc...

Ann-T- great looking meals. It's real easy to hit the like button but there is no love button and the greek style lamb shanks are speaking to me. What's the scoop item on the chicken dumpling photo? I'm up for multiple starches at every meal.

Thanks Steve. Got to love Greek with rice and potatoes. The "scoops" with the chicken and dumplings would be mashed potatoes.

Indian tonight, from Neelam Batra

Chile chicken – Dried red chiles, slivered ginger, and onions fried together. Add chicken, paprika, and garlic, and then simmer with vinegar and water until liquid has evaporated and chicken is done. Um, tasted much better than it looked . . .

p187946211-4.jpg

Cauliflower and potatoes – Fried cubed potatoes and cauliflower florets separately, added minced ginger, turmeric, and cayenne, and then cooked over low until quite tender, finishing with cilantro and garam masala. Younger son liked this, mostly because of the potatoes.

p500510835-4.jpg

Pureed watercress raita – Watercress pureed with scallions, cilantro, and chile, whisked with yogurt, and then topped with chopped tomato, black pepper, and freshly-ground cumin. Beautiful green color when everything was mixed together after picture time.

p434188886-4.jpg

Garlic naan – Heated in the oven and brushed with butter. Not bad for store-bought!

p97105053-4.jpg

• Like 7

The recipe included fresh lemongrass, which I have never seen in a Chinese recipe. Anyone know if this is common?

I've never come across lemongrass in Chinese cuisine, either. In fact, despite living within spitting distance of the border with Vietnam, I have never seen it in any market or supermarket - not even in the weird imported stuff sections. (I dare say it might be available in the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai, but again as an imported speciality for use in Thai cooking.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Mussels with homemade chorizo. Mussels are a little bit of a hit and miss on the Gulf Coast. I went to Joe Patti Seafood (Pensacola FL) looking for oysters but they were not available so took a chance on mussel's. They were in great shape with only one cull out of two pounds.

P1020208(1).JPG

• Like 4