• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

My son did not tell me the complete recipe for the kalbi but I can tell you he started by combining ingredients from recipes from his uncle, a recipe from a cookbook of well known Korean restaurants in LA and from his mom and then added some of his own ideas. It is marinated and then basted with the sauce while being grilled. I know it includes Pear Nectar, Coca Cola, garlic, gochujang, ginger, soy sauce, salt and pepper, and sesame oil.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

Very exciting international delicious recipes and artistic plating designs. I don't know any another forum has such great display of cooking skills.

A few recent meals

dcarch

Sous vide Calamansi chicken on wild rice risotto

chickenwildricerisotto2.jpg

chickenwildricerisotto.jpg

Sauteed shrimps on rice noodles

Shrimpsricenoodles2_zps5d100383.jpg

shrimpsricenoodles_zps960db699.jpg

Smoked pork shoulder on aspargus

roastedporkasparagus2_zpsa6c50ab3.jpg

roastedporkasparagus_zps2ddc1503.jpg

• Like 5

heidih – You are very kind, thank you

dcarch - We posted at the same time. Holy smokes, that pork shoulder!

Still on a Mexican jag

Pollo en escabeche – We make this frequently. Season chicken thighs with allspice, Mexican oregano, black pepper, and salt. Brown chicken thighs and remove. Fry white onion and carrots, add halved garlic cloves, and then simmer with the chicken, vinegar, pickled jalapenos, and chicken broth until done.

Green bean salad with red onion and salsa verde dressing – Nuke green beans until tender-crunchy, and toss with sliced red onion and a dressing of tomatillo salsa, lime juice, cilantro, and olive oil. Outstanding flavor-effort ratio. :smile:

Served with store-bought olive oil bread.

p2117715557-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 3

Sapidus, speaking of international cooking, I am so fascinated by your recipes. I have learned a lot from your cooking. Thanks.

For smoking, I don't go for the ring and the bark, just pure smoke flavor at low temperature. That shows the "Money Muscle" smoked at 150F, kind of sous vide by smoke.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

mm -- you've been killing it with the rabbit/hare dishes this past week! I've had a lot of rabbit dishes recently but haven't tried cooking with it myself -- I may have to give it a shot.

Kudos to all the awesome dishes folks have been posting recently -- this thread is on a roll right now (no thanks to me!)

looks good

Wapi

but how was that Octopus?

perfect? it sure looks like that.

Thank you!

I was very pleased with the result. Very tender. However, next time I'll try the temperature and time as recommended in Modernist Cuisine so that I can compare. One thing is certain, sous vide and octopus are a great match.

mm -- you've been killing it with the rabbit/hare dishes this past week! I've had a lot of rabbit dishes recently but haven't tried cooking with it myself -- I may have to give it a shot.

Kudos to all the awesome dishes folks have been posting recently -- this thread is on a roll right now (no thanks to me!)

Thanks!

Today, no hare, so I had pigeon. Marinated in red wine with juniper.

VLpEMuol.png
Cabbage is braised in red wine and layered between slices of cooked apple.
CqEtFE2l.png
Potatoes are cut, shaped and fried.
q1YN5lEl.png
The pigeon is seared in goose fat and finished in the oven. The cabbage/apple compressions are glazed in the reduced cooking wine with a little creme de cassis and butter. There is an apple/red onion chutney that sits on top of each. The jus is thickened with a little foie gras terrine and the livers of the pigeons.
rwpJhvbl.png
JVKBxpkl.png
Served with pommes pailles (matchstick fries)
aLLdQJAl.png
Legs with salad
hHaM9D4l.png
  • Like 4

Great looking pigeon mm84321, is it wild or farmed squab? I think i prefer the flavour of the farmed ones, especially those from France. They're deliciously meaty and more tender than wood pigeons.

It was grouse for me tonight. Pan roasted with a blackberry sauce, parsnip crisps, some roasted pink fir apple potatoes and sauteed broccoli rabe on the side.

IMAGE_50.jpg

20131008a.JPG

A couple of comfort dishes, old favourites; goat rendang and crab linguine.

20131003.JPG

20131005.JPG

I made some macarons too this week. Experimenting with savoury flavours, this one was white stilton (mixed with cream cheese) and prosciutto. Everyone i fed these too were in raptures. A big hit!

IMAGE_49.jpg

• Like 7

Outstanding food everyone. The game meats on the thread are particularly stunning (hare, pigeon, grouse, ...). Something I really miss here.

Prawncrackers- would you mind sharing your recipe for crab linguine? That looks like something I would like to try very soon. Thanks!

Braised lamb shanks with Middle Eastern Spices, stir-fried vegetables, jasmine rice sprinkled with toasted jeera.. I made this one day ahead, let it sit in the fridge overnight and re-heated for supper last night. Really great for cool fall evening.

Braised LambShanksMiddleEastSpices1435.jpg

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

mm84321 and prawncrackers, those grouse/squab dishes look amazing.

I recently made a chicken terrine with pea puree and pear mostarda (adapted from The Uchi Cookbook). The original recipe called for rabbit.

The chicken terrine was made by first curing some chicken legs (sugar, salt, juniper, coriander, pink peppercorn, cinnamon) for about 6 hours, then cooking them sous vide (1.5 hours @ 150 F) in brown butter, along with some shallots, thyme, and garlic. Afterwards, I pulled the meat and made a terrine by sprinkling the meat with Activa RM (transglutimase). In the middle of the terrine I put a line of pickled quail eggs (pickled for ~5 minutes in rice wine vinegar and sugar infused with kombu). The mixture was set overnight in the fridge in a terrine mold, with a heavy weight on top. To finish, I sliced it, glazed it with an asian caramel sauce in the oven (400 F for 4-5 minutes), then seared it in brown butter.

tumblr_mudx0tQzr41rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 2

Outstanding food everyone. The game meats on the thread are particularly stunning (hare, pigeon, grouse, ...). Something I really miss here. Prawncrackers- would you mind sharing your recipe for crab linguine? That looks like something I would like to try very soon. Thanks!

It is for me a pretty standard recipe. This one was made with a live medium sized male brown crab, poached till slightly underdone – about 7-8mins. I always buy live crabs for this recipe so I can use undercooked meat that will finish cooking in the pasta. The white and brown meat is separated, only the white meat is used for the crab sauce to which the pasta is added. The sauce starts with two cloves of garlic sliced as thinly as possible so that they melt along with four anchovies as it’s warmed together in a goodly of evoo. It’s an oil based sauce so use plenty. When the garlic and anchovy have melted add some hot chilli flakes to taste and a pinch of pimento del vera or any paprika, it improves the colour. Add a splash of noilly prat (or white wine), cook out a little then add the white crab meat with squeeze of lemon. Warm through, add the pasta, check seasoning, add parsley, serve.

The brown meat, the best part, is added to softened buttery shallots and warmed through. Seasoned and blended to give quick pate or left chunky if desired. Spread it on some bread and eat with the pasta. I haven’t yet found anything better to do with a brown crab.

• Like 2

I've just got access to Restaurant Depot and have found some nice fish there. Picked up a hunk of tuna today and a lane snapper

Made some spicy tuna with the trimmings which is a nice snack while waiting for my wife to get home from work. Will do a tuna stack for dinner tonight. Snapper tomorrow

zyvy2usa.jpg

netamagu.jpg

• Like 1

Chicken and lobster in three services

P1b2mIrl.png

The carcasses are colored in olive oil then simmered in chicken stock. This is the base of the gelée for the first service.
8jnc5JRl.png
Some tail meat is mixed with sole, then butter, cream and egg whites to create a mousse.
HGu06TWl.png
This is chilled, then passed through a fine tamis, and blended with more lobster meat. These are piped, formed and steamed for the second service.
WmHcOyWl.png
The chicken is rubbed generously with olive oil and butter and roasted in the oven.
SjKkFMPl.png
Once finished, the chicken carcass is cut up to make a jus, which is then thickened with lobster coral. The "sucs" are retrieved from the skin of the chicken for the first service.
jOVKCqtl.png
First service is the gelée with aforementioned sucs, the knuckle meat of the lobster, oyster and tail meat of the chicken, which I warmed slightly in some of the roasting fat of the chicken.
oPaqVI2l.png
7T1yoMKl.png
Second is the breast, served with the "boudins" of lobster, and the coral jus
skLfIsol.png
Vegetable accompaniment. Fresh peas (which I just picked this morning, incredibly sweet), lima beans, carrots, turnips and baby leeks.
CyN6wQal.png
Third and final service are the thighs and claws served with Caesar salad. The croutons are brushed with coral.
zqcpnHhl.png
  • Like 6

With the garden producing fantastic beefsteak tomatoes we have been living on bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches. Sriracha mayo added after picture time.

p309515692-4.jpg

I'd be happy with this , breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.

Grilled%20Prime%20Rib%20October%209th%2C

Grilled a small prime rib over indirect heat. The roast was presalted on Monday.

Edited by heidih
fix quote tags (log)
  • Like 4

I’m finally back after a long absence. Long story short – an almost month long illness followed by a bad fall that resulted in a fractured vertebra that has me in a back brace until at least the beginning of November. That has put a crimp in my cooking and made sitting at the computer very uncomfortable. I’ve done a bit of cooking and with my lap top, I’ve been having a veritable feast the last couple of days looking over all of the incredible meals in this thread they you’ve all made since I went MIA. I couldn’t possibly go back and mention everything that amazed and impressed me, but I loved it all and deeply appreciated the recent defense of the ordinary type of food that I tend to cook. Like others mentioned, I enjoy seeing food in all its guises – plain and ‘fancy’!

Some things that I’ve managed over the last few weeks -

A throw together dinner of cheeses, meats and veggies:

med_gallery_3331_114_43884.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_137886.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_80765.jpg

Mr. Kim’s birthday – I began an almost month long illness early that morning and so Jessica, and our nieces together to get his birthday dinner finished. They did a remarkable job. He had requested muffalettas, salad and bananas Foster for dessert. They got a good picture of the sandwich for me:

med_gallery_3331_114_98093.jpg

My mother made some BBQ pork tenderloin and I served it with baked beans, green beans and some boxed mac and cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_36281.jpg

A dinner of shrimp tacos and black beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_12744.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_5433.jpg

Spaghetti w/ Bolognese sauce and garlic rolls:

med_gallery_3331_114_140650.jpg

Baked spaghetti w/ raw veggies and garlic rolls:

med_gallery_3331_114_167852.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_89617.jpg

Pecan coated tilapia w/ steamed potatoes and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_95242.jpg

The fish is served with an orange and wine sauce and I thought that the fish was a little bland. Next time I think that I’ll add the zest to the sauce along with the juice.

Very successful day of cooking today. I tried 2 new recipes and they both turned out delicious! I did Geoffrey Zakarian’s Caesar salad and Gruyere and black pepper popovers:

med_gallery_3331_114_15457.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_41291.jpg

The salad is really delicious – the dressing is made with white anchovies. They were hard to find, but really worth it for their more subtle taste. The popovers were spectacular and something that I’ve been wanted to try for a long time.

My mother and I went down to Chesapeake to visit friends. They have a lovely garden and urged us to pick as many figs as we liked from their trees. One of the ways I used them was to make a prosciutto and fig pizza:

med_gallery_3331_114_37016.jpg

Topped with arugula:

med_gallery_3331_114_145191.jpg

Served with white anchovy Caesar salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_45759.jpg

A soup and sandwich dinner – Mr. Kim’s ham and cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_30474.jpg

Mine was a BLT, made with some of the last of our friends’ amazing heirloom tomatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_90307.jpg

The best tomatoes we’ve had all summer. The soup was Ruhlman’s Rotisserie Chicken and Leek soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_139607.jpg

Breakfast for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_139714.jpg

Cheese omelet, cheese stuffed potatoes and Benton’s bacon. Served with French toast and fig syrup:

med_gallery_3331_114_145778.jpg

• Like 3