• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Dejah, did the "Ancient Grains" come preblended, or did you do them freehand? I only cook for one normally, but that sounds so good, I'd like to make it for a group I cook for occasionally!

The grains came preblended. The leftover was good next day, reheated and eaten with milk and brown sugar.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's a blustery day, and temperatures are dipping down to single digits by nightfall. It's the time for braising!

Tonight, Braised Chicken with Dates. The kitchen smelled wonderful with coriander, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, fresh ginger with lemon juice, honey, dates, and orange blossom water added at the end. The liquid thickened from reduction and the dates. Wonderful flavours served with mashed red skin potatoes, beets and brussel sprouts.

Braised Chicken with Dates1161.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

Oven-roasted garlic shrimp with s-v'd carrots and parsnips sauteed in ghee and olive oil.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bought these really beautiful hen of woods mushrooms this weekend at Fort Greene Park.It weighed about a pound and it broke into two pieces. I put that in a pan with some herbs and butter, added a little white wine, then a little pasta water. Poured Rigatoni that had been cooked in with the mushroom. Then pasta water, then a little cream and some grated parm. This was very basic and delicious. I kept the mushrooms into fairly large pieces.

Next I had browned a loin of pork. Then I removed the loin, added a half a bottle of wine, some garlic, paprika and water and let that cook. Well, prior to that, a few days ago, i brined the loin, then i removed the loin from the brine, covered in garlic and let that sit for a day or two. Then I added the loin back into the pot once the alcohol burned off, added clams, Portuguese Chorico and baked in the oven until the thermometer read 125 on the loin. Took the pot out of the oven and added chick peas.

10048100215_3e847950c5.jpg

I also had roasted potatoes and garlic scapes. Made a white rice and added pickled cauliflower

10048144606_27120995d6.jpg

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I recently made some Chicken Karaage (link to recipe): Fried/Marinated chicken with ginger rice, thinly sliced jalapenos and onions, herbs, and a sweet chili sauce. I wasn't using enough oil so it didn't get as golden as I would've liked, but it was still very good and easy.

tumblr_mu1m6j724O1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 2

Ratte potatoes are so delicious.

Agreed - they are wonderful. Also a childhood memory for me because my mom used to buy them when I was little.

frogprincess - where did you get theratte potatoes in San Diego ?

Honkman - I am pretty sure that I got them at Specialty Produce.

Anna N

pretty snappy "refrigerator" dinners I must say.

Take a bow, rotuts! The s-v vegetables are inspired by you. The convenience of having s-v'd pouches of meat and vegetables in the fridge ready to be re-warmed is brilliant. Not much left in the crisper drawers now and most of the s-v'd vegetables are gone. Will have to turn to my freezer for vegetables for these last couple of days.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

BTW AnnaN :

would you care to share in more detail the 'finish' you put on the SV chicken? 'Finishing' SV is a sort of New Frontier for me.

and Ive got a lot to practice on !

Let me lead you to the source

http://svkitchen.com/?p=4674

My 2004 eG Blog

Alouette sans tete. Partridge legs are fully deboned and denerved.

o2lBPHil.png

Flattened with a mallet and seasoned.
6tXGkTrl.png
Enter a baton of foie gras
PHg5rfYl.png
Wrap in lardo
eApxDdGl.png
Then in caul
H6AQbh4l.png
Brown in a pot, deglaze with some cognac and chicken jus, then sliced porcini are added, covered and finished in a hot oven.
g2MEx6Nl.png
Served with mashed potatoes. I use La ratte.
MluxJHsl.png
  • Like 2

Alouette sans tete. Partridge legs are fully deboned and denerved.

o2lBPHil.png

Flattened with a mallet and seasoned.
6tXGkTrl.png
Enter a baton of foie gras
PHg5rfYl.png
Wrap in lardo
eApxDdGl.png
Then in caul
H6AQbh4l.png
Brown in a pot, deglaze with some cognac and chicken jus, then sliced porcini are added, covered and finished in a hot oven.
g2MEx6Nl.png
Served with mashed potatoes. I use La ratte.
MluxJHsl.png

Dude, every time your food looks so incredible. Do you just do this for fun or is it your job (not that jobs can't be fun too)? Where'd you learn?

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

Dejah, did the "Ancient Grains" come preblended, or did you do them freehand? I only cook for one normally, but that sounds so good, I'd like to make it for a group I cook for occasionally!

The grains came preblended. The leftover was good next day, reheated and eaten with milk and brown sugar.
May I ask where you purchased them, and what the brand name is?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Stopped by Japanese Premium Beef on Great Jones. Picked up a 1.35 lb steak for me and Miss K.

Unfortunately, no photo of it precooked. Leaving for a couple of weeks so, emptying out the fridge. Mashed potatoes, no butter left so, rice, then just cream, salt and a little parm. Baby fennel with salt packed anchovies, garlic, olive oil, a shot of parm, and some wine. Awesome Wagyu beef,.

10076752305_3048f53a4e.jpg

It was the two of us. Little one does not like char. So, I cooked it on a flat top, then placed in an oven. brought it up to 130. I would have used the grill but, she does not like smoke yet. Since it was wagyu and super marbled, i felt it need a little to let the fat melt. I normally like it much more rare.

10076806006_61c55ca8ef.jpg

The steak was crazy good.. I never really tell Miss K the different types of steak I buy. Nor does she realize the cost.. But, her reaction is real. She flipped over this. I flipped over this. It was missing the dry age but, still an exceptional piece of meat. Another test is the mashed potatoes. She barely touched her mashed potatoes until the steak was gone. And prior she was sitting with a big wooden spoon of potatoes waiting for dinner.

10078015735_2b00a55011.jpg

This is my plate, she did got less fennel and more potatoes and of course, she got the center pieces. I poured some pan juices over the steak, a little salt and of course we took advantage of the pool of juice on the cutting board.

10077955624_90395666f5.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK