• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

lesliec

Nothing wrong with being gay. Had one of my Mai Tais tonight (with Gunpowder) and my head is ever so slightly spinning, so nothing constructive to add.

True, but there sometimes is with posting drunk. On the whole I wish I'd left the Mount Gay on the shelf. I had confused the Black Barrel that I bought with Extra Black, or whatever it was called, which they released for Mount Gay's three hundreth anniversary. I can't help but think the product name confusion was part of the marketing.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I like to float the violette/other liqueur and watch her hair change color.

Edit: based on choux' photo it seems that the R&W violette gives a more purplish color.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Something new for me tonight. I've been looking for a way to use up my recent purchase of Mount Gay Black Barrel. Black Barrel is a rum that tastes to me like whiskey, so I decided to try it in a whiskey recipe:

Cold Whiskey Punch (Imbibe!, p 76)

1 teaspoon sugar, dissolved in a little water

juice of a half lemon (I did not get much juice so I used a whole lemon)

1 1/2 wineglassesful Black Barrel (recipe calls for Red Top Rye)

2 dashes Appleton 12 (recipe calls for rum, Splificator specifies Jamaican)

"Shake well [with shaved ice] and strain into cool stem punch glass.... Serve with a straw"

Wow this is good. I haden't had anything to eat or drink all day (and I notice from the clock that it is now tomorrow). I would not have believed Black Barrel would turn into anything so wonderful. My garnish, as specified, was a lemon slice. Wonder what this would be like with rye? But to my knowledge I have never tasted rye, and I am a bit afraid to buy a bottle to find out that I don't like it.

Nice thing about this drink is it makes the level in the Black Barrel bottle go down real fast. The hard part was finding a big enough stem punch glass.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've been in Tokyo for the past week. I bought a bottle of Yoichi single malt whisky at my little neighborhood grocery store and started mixing. I started with an Old Fashioned with Boker's bitters. Intense. The Yoichi has a lot of smoke and a ton of flavor overall.

11582906584_8b9e7a8696_z.jpg

The next day I stumbled upon a farmer's market and bought a very aromatic dogwood honey, fresh ginger, and a couple of lemons. I thought that, with its smoke, the Yoichi would work well in a Penicillin.

11634477116_539024b6ba_z.jpg

I found a really cool coffee shop/cocktail bar/vintage design store in Shibuya and they made me a textbook perfect Negroni. Also a Whiskey Mac with blended whiskey, stone ginger wine, and lemon peel.

11596705974_c9ca50258e_z.jpg

The next day it was time for a visit to the Park Hyatt for a Lost in Translation moment. We ordered their house Manhattan (Templeton, Carpano Antica, and Abott's bitters), and a Brandy Sour with Earl Gray-infused brandy and fresh yuzu. The cocktails were good; it's too bad that their bad menu is not up to par (fish and chips, mini sliders, etc).

11644572553_be0a199a1e_z.jpg

11644705554_d9fde231c9_z.jpg

• Like 2

To toast out my year, a Martini with Champagne. Robert Hess has something similar he calls a Champagne Antoine. For now I'll call mine a Good Riddance. Cheers to all.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 2 weeks later...