• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

lesliec

Drink by JoNorvelleWalker, lighting by Caravaggio.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I tried another light-weight cocktail from the Art of Shim; this one failed to wow me.

British Diplomat with dry vermouth, Pimm's No. 1, maraschino liqueur, and aromatic bitters (I used Boker's). It was very much dominated by the French vermouth (I used Noilly Prat extra dry), with subtle undertones from everything else. I upped the bitters but the drink was not that interesting.

11144344664_25da4cd1e6_z.jpg

I don't believe a British diplomat would drink this.

Probably right. The rationale for the name was that it was based on another drink called the Diplomat. They substituted Pimm's for the sweet vermouth, making it a British Diplomat.

A proper British diplomat would drink anything he was offered, and claim to have enjoyed it.

Last night for us (and the night before as well, as it happens) was El Cigarillo Maduro:

Cigarillo.jpg

Rather nice; tequila, sweet and dry vermouths, Cointreau, Angostura and mole bitters. Recommended.

And another rubbish evening in Welly, as you can see.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Recently picked up a bottle of Aviation gin, so I made a Gin Fix with it tonight. It came out drier than I wanted, so I added a little bit more pineapple syrup. Better, but still didn't quite hit the spot. Then my eyes fell on a bottle of absinthe... so I dashed some in. Ah! That's what I was looking for!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

A not-really-successful attempt to do something with a new addition to my collection: Bitter End's Memphis Barbecue Bitters. I wanted to call it Smokin' With Some Barbecue but that'd just be an insult to Kermit Ruffins because this drink isn't very good. It's not sink-worthy but the combination of the Perique and one of those bitters--or maybe it's the Perique and High West (I think it works with other ryes)--brings out this weird buttery quality that I was not at all aiming for.

3 dashes barbecue bitters and 1 dash Creole bitters prepared, with a sugar cube, in the manner of an Old Fashioned

60 mL rye (High West)

30 mL Perique

Less than the some of its parts.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Spurred on by the excellent sherry cocktails popping up everywhere these days, I went to the store and purchased a bottle of El Candado Pedro Ximenez Sherry, only bothering to educate myself on the different types of sherry after the fact.

Even if it wasn't the sherry I intended to buy, the PX sherry is terrific, potent stuff and inspired this as-yet unnamed drink (served up with a lemon peel expressed over it and then discarded):

1 1/2 oz. rye (Rittenhouse BIB)

1 1/2 oz. Armagnac (Marie Duffau Napoléon Bas Armagnac)

3/4 oz. Cynar

5/8 oz. PX sherry (El Candado)

3 dashes orange bitters

Edited by turkoftheplains (log)
  • Like 2

1.5 oz. portugeuse grappa

100ml grapefruit soda (7+g/L CO2)

this simple high ball was another test of my new bottling tool which transfers carbonated liquids to 100ml bottles. the soda is fun and a great compliment to this very unique portugeuse grappa. I haven't exactly idiot proofed the bottler yet. and I have another setup that bottles into 187's. all the physical machinery works so now it is just ironing out the kinks of operations like pressure and chilling, maximum possible carbonation levels and the like. I'll slowly have to drink my way through it.

• Like 1

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

For those of us in the US, today marks the 80th anniversary of the ratification of the Twenty-first Amendment: "The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed."

What are you making? Those not in the US are free to participate in the festivities. Probably a mai tai or two for me!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1.5 oz. medronhos

barspoon absinthe (my own yerba-mate version)

100 ml grapefruit soda (whole foods grapefruit juice strained and carbonated to 7+ g/L dissolved CO2)

I looked really hard for some tequila but couldn't find any so I picked up the decadently funky medronhos. then I thought of anise. I don't make a lot of highball style drinks but this is quite simply the tastiest thing I have had a long time.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

'dy punch

Brandy, cane syrup, tiny lemon, ice cube

Made one with cheap French brandy and one with Courvoisier. Actually the generic brandy one is better IMO but both were quite quaffable.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I decided to finally crack open my bottle of Sipsmith London dry gin to celebrate Repeal Day yesterday. I tried it neat and it was love at first sip. Very flavorful but restrained at the same time. Juniper, lemon, some coriander in the finish, almost sweet. Overall really smooth and harmonious. I considered having more just neat, but ended up with a Gin Fix: gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, persimmon garnish.

11230588406_16dbe6c4d8_z.jpg

I panicked for a moment thinking that I would need to go all the way to London to buy more once this bottle runs out. But thank god it's available in the US (HiTimes and DrinkUpNY both have it in stock). I notice though that my bottle has red wax and a dark blue label, versus the green label & wax on the website. I wonder what that is all about. Maybe it's just the duty free version of their packaging (I got it in Heathrow).

The only bad thing to report about this gin is that the closure has a quality issue - the top piece detached from the artificial cork right away.

Drinking an Occidental (from PDT book). Calls for Nonino Amaro, Grand Marnier, and Linie Aquavit in a Fernet Branca-rinsed coupe. Not having the Linie, I subbed Aalborg Jubilaeums Aquavit. Can anyone tell me if the difference between the two aquavits makes an important difference and, if so, how?

I've been researching aquavit lately and came across an article that lists all the aquavits available in the US, with some tasting notes.

Linie has the particularity of being aged for about four months in sherry barrels and is described as being very smooth.

http://aquavitweek.com/aquavits-in-the-us/

How was the Occidental?

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Spurred on by the excellent sherry cocktails popping up everywhere these days, I went to the store and purchased a bottle of El Candado Pedro Ximenez Sherry, only bothering to educate myself on the different types of sherry after the fact.

Even if it wasn't the sherry I intended to buy, the PX sherry is terrific, potent stuff and inspired this as-yet unnamed drink (served up with a lemon peel expressed over it and then discarded):

1 1/2 oz. rye (Rittenhouse BIB)

1 1/2 oz. Armagnac (Marie Duffau Napoléon Bas Armagnac)

3/4 oz. Cynar

5/8 oz. PX sherry (El Candado)

3 dashes orange bitters

Typically I buy a bottle of sherry once-a-year around this time of the year (but usually only one a year). What do people recommend as a good sherry that is both nice straight and excellent in cocktails?

That's a tough one. PX is fantastic stuff with Christmas pud or blue cheese, and in a Rapscallion (et al). Fino or manzanilla are brilliant in summer, both alone or in things, but you may by climatically disadvantaged this time of year. I haven't tried cream sherry in a cocktail, but it's a delight with a bit of ice and orange zest - again, better in warmer weather.

On balance I might go for PX, but this may just reflect my love affair with the stuff.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Last night, an Improved Holland Gin Cocktail:

1.5 oz Anchor Genevieve

.75 oz St. George Dry Rye

.25 oz Simple

.25 oz Leopold Bros. Maraschino

.125 oz Vieux Pontarlier Absinthe

Dash Miracle Mile Sour Cherry Bitters

Dash Bitter Truth Grapefruit Bitters

Grapefruit Twist Garnish

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif BZocm8MIIAE0jhw.jpg

Afterward, a pour of Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel (2012 Edition)...I used to say this was the best bourbon out there that no one really talked about, but that's certainly changing.

Do you know the ABV and recipe of the 4R bourbon?

I do love my Four Roses single barrel selections. Jim Rutledge is a great master distiller and a hell of a nice guy