• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

lesliec

Genevieve is the Smith & Cross of genevers.

You need to work in ads when finance does its number on your morals :biggrin:

Genevieve is the Smith & Cross of genevers.

I think I need this asap. Can no longer resist.

See Rafa? You can sell.

"Acura, the Smith & Cross of hatchbacks."

"Gillette, the Smith & Cross of razors."

"Microsoft, the Smith & Cross of personal computing."

"You're a one trick pony, García. I'm going to need your badge and your smokes on my desk."

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

A good one to settle the stomach:

1 oz Beefeater Gin

1 oz Fernet (last of my non-Branca)

Build over ice

Add 2 oz tonic (Cascade - yes Chris it is good)

A tiny wedge of lemon squeezed over and dropped in

I just made this. It is now and forever named the haresfur and tonic.

Suffering from an upset stomach (too much food, or too little booze, or something) I gave this H&T a try. I was low on Fernet so I reached into my stash of Unicum </humblebrag>.I think you have a patentable tonic on your hands, H.

Edited by Rafa (log)
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Geez, I'm out on a Sibilia bender and you guys have me in a tutu when I return. I like it.

In honor of my dad, I lit the candle and made:

2 oz Willet rye (110 proof)

1/2 oz Punt e Mes

1/2 oz Dolin dry

1/2 dropper housemade Forest bitters (thank you Zachary)

1 Luxardo cherry

Lovely ice sphere

His dad used to drink perfect Manhattans, so it sort of honors both. His usual was a Martini with 1 part Boissiere to 2 parts gin and a big olive, on built in a nice glass. Tomorrow.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Have been making a cocktail lately with 1-1/2 rye (Pepper's 1776), 3/4 Calisaya, 3/4 sweet vermouth (M&R), a couple of dashes of Fee's orange bitters, and an orange peel garnish. Pretty much the bitter orange Manhattan it would seem to be, but very tasty. I'd give credit to whoever came up with this, but I can't remember where I came across the recipe.

West Indian Summer from beta cocktails.

1.5 oz kummel

1. oz Old Raj gin

0.5 oz lemon juice

1 bsp maraschino

1 bsp simple

a dash of Regan's orange bitters

Stirred and strained. Being kummel-heavy, this one's a slow burn for me. I like it but it's not exactly going to topple the Hemingway off its perch this summer. Maybe a 1:1 kummel:gin ratio might be worth exploring. Or lime juice instead of lemon.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Another ti' punch variation using rye this time. I had to use Rittenhouse of course so it could be a:

Ri' punch

about 2 oz Rittenhouse rye

about a bar spoon cane syrup.

1 half a tiny lime squeezed & dropped in.

1 ice cube

Better than the Canadian whisky version although I got it too sweet. It's like taking an Old Fashioned on a vector to sour rather than towards bitter.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Suffering from an upset stomach (too much food, or too little booze, or something) I gave this H&T a try. I was low on Fernet so I reached into my stash of Unicum </humblebrag>.I think you have a patentable tonic on your hands, H.

I guess I should pick up some Unicum just because I can. :smile:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Another beta beverage: 2 cups of blood. This one's a bit of a monster, like so many of the beta cocktails drinks, containing the following:

0.75 oz Bitter's mole bitters

0.75 oz Suze

0.75 oz Punt e Mes

0.75 oz mezcal (Ilegal reposado in place of the sugested Vida)

1 bsp agave syrup (I just used straight agave nectar--it's not like a little extra agave-fuelled sweetness is going to do much against the best part of an ounce of bitters)

2 dashes Regan's orange bitters

Stirred and strained. Instead of grapefruit oil I put a drop or two of Fee's grapefruit bitters on top. I mean, it's not like the drink is anywhere near bitter enough from the outset.

EDIT

I accidentally poured it before adding the agave and fuck damn did I quickly realise my mistake. Turns out a barspoon of agave nectar is enough to take this from too much of ... something to very but pleasantly bitter.

EDIT 2.0:

Now that I've had a couple cocktails I feel like whiskey. I'm writing reports for my students, see. This is mind-numbing when you have 23 to do.

I had some High West Double Rye first of all. Am amazed at how much a couple drops of water--no more--opened it up. Smoothed off that slight edge. Now I'm finishing off the last of some Russell's Reserve bourbon.

Just think: it could be your first grader I'm reporting on.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 1

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

I guess I should pick up some Unicum just because I can. :smile:

Hmm, didn't know Unicum warranted a humble brag. It has long been a staple in my bar where it rest comfortably in the freezer waiting for its call to duty!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Another beta beverage: 2 cups of blood. This one's a bit of a monster, like so many of the beta cocktails drinks, containing the following:

0.75 oz Suze

0.75 oz Punt e Mes

1 bsp agave syrup (I just used straight agave nectar--it's not like a little extra agave-fuelled sweetness is going to do much against the best part of an ounce of bitters)

Stirred and strained. Instead of grapefruit oil I put a drop or two of Fee's grapefruit bitters on top. I mean, it's not like the drink is anywhere near bitter enough from the outset.

Interesting - the version of this on Kindred doesn't call for agave. Rafa put it there, referencing cocktailvirginslut, and they don't mention agave either. Is your recipe straight from the beta source, Chris?

I've made the Kindred version and quite enjoyed it, but it's not a patch on the very serious Tres Sangres, of similar bitters-heavy style. Maybe I'll try again with a bit of syrup and see how it is.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

0.75 oz Suze

0.75 oz Punt e Mes

Interesting - the version of this on Kindred doesn't call for agave. Rafa put it there, referencing cocktailvirginslut, and they don't mention agave either. Is your recipe straight from the beta source, Chris?

I've made the Kindred version and quite enjoyed it, but it's not a patch on the very serious Tres Sangres, of similar bitters-heavy style. Maybe I'll try again with a bit of syrup and see how it is.

I took the recipe from the beta cocktails book itself, yes.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Right then. Agave it shall have. Probably this very evening.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Right then. Agave it shall have. Probably this very evening.

Yup. Fixed. Thanks.

• Like 1

Two things:

A John Collins made with Bols genenver.

And the Spice Trade from beta cocktails. The one described as FUCKING METAL. I'm not sure what to make of this one (1 oz each kummel and Herbsaint, 0.75 oz curacao [i used Grand Marnier] and a couple dashes of Angostura bitters). At first the Herbsaint dominates but then the kummel pops up to say hello. The first sip isn't some a very great thing at all but the finish is rather nice. Herbsaint and curcacao take the edge off kummel.

EDIT

As the drink disappears, I warm to it. I can't help but think it could do with a garnish, though. Not citrus. Thyme, maybe. Lemon thyme? Thoughts?

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

What's left? Ok...

by Rafa García Febles, NYC.
2 oz Irish whiskey
1 sli Lemon (lemon coin; a cut of peel and pith containing a bit of flesh and juice)
1/2 t Barley malt syrup
Build in glass over ice, stir, rest, sip.

Two things:

A John Collins made with Bols genenver.

And the Spice Trade from beta cocktails. The one described as FUCKING METAL. I'm not sure what to make of this one (1 oz each kummel and Herbsaint, 0.75 oz curacao [i used Grand Marnier] and a couple dashes of Angostura bitters). At first the Herbsaint dominates but then the kummel pops up to say hello. The first sip isn't some a very great thing at all but the finish is rather nice. Herbsaint and curcacao take the edge off kummel.

EDIT

As the drink disappears, I warm to it. I can't help but think it could do with a garnish, though. Not citrus. Thyme, maybe. Lemon thyme? Thoughts?

I hadn't made the connection until now, but the Spice Trade is very similar to the better developed (IMO) proto-beta cocktail (alpha cocktail?) Weeper's Joy from 1892:

by William Schmidt, "The Only William," NYC.
1 oz Absinthe
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 oz Kummel
2 ds Curaçao
1/2 t Gomme syrup
Stir, strain, up.
--
Edited by Rafa (log)
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

So last night I made a 2 Cups of Blood, including agave syrup as discussed above. Last time I made it (sans agave) I don't remember it being as strongly chocolatey (although ¾ of mole bitters might be expected to give that effect).

Verdict: not convinced. It's OK, but for a big dollop of bitter I'll stick with Tres Sangres or Rafa's splendid The Man Comes Around.

My eG Foodblog

SWIM supplied the gin for my Martini and it was l u s h.

Thanks!

I am slightly confused but it sounds like you liked it, so everything's fine. Plus a photo of the Chenonceau castle as a bonus, very nice. Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

But what were you drinking?

Please read the name of the thread before posting in future.

:raz:

Yeah. Unable to post anything coherent at this instant, so please give me a minute or two. :-)

Plus the iPad interface for eG really sucks, just saying. Not cute smiley faces or any other fancy option.

Plantes Vertes,

My drink of the night was an Airbag, which may or may not have saved my brain during a bad accident a few years ago (you will be the judge).

11060583135_72244a5ae5_z.jpg

It was bitter, smoky, acidic, metallic. Reminded me of the chemical smells when the airbag deployed. Very good.

And I cannot believe that Rafa forget to mention the cherry bomb garnish. Shame on him!!!

Last night, two weird drinks on opposite ends of the classiness spectrum.

Airbag

by Phil Ward, Mayahuel, NYC.

1 oz Reposado Tequila, El Tesoro Reposado (Calle 23)

1/2 oz Batavia Arrack, Van Oosten (Smith & Cross)

1/2 oz Mezcal, Los Amantes Joven (Fidencio)

3/4 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula

1/4 oz Allspice Dram, St Elizabeth (homemade)

1/4 oz Bénédictine

1 ds Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole (I used Aphrodite bitters because I couldn't get my bottle of Bitter Truth mole bitters to open, despite my overwhelming manly strength)

Stir, strain, up.

My notes: Pepper, vanilla, chocolate, allspice, herbal depth, dunder, all beautifully integrated, smooth, and elegant. Wow.

Despite looking on paper like a, well, like a car crash, this is a beautifully composed drink, with every ingredient playing its part. Spicy, sweet, deep, lightly bitter, and flavorful. In the shocker of all shockers, Phil Ward really knows what he's doing. Try it and let me know whether an Airbag

[...]

I realize that I've strayed from my mission by mixing a drink as ungirlie as Ward's Airbag. In my defense, it is on the sweet side.

After all this html code I think I need another drink... Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com