• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

lesliec

Amusing strategy. Not for animal lovers.

Aware of this strategy but it seems like way too much trouble and my cat would definitely be upset if I repurposed his toys. :-)

I suspect that the age of the eggs is more critical than these little gadgets. With fresher eggs I get a much thicker foam with the same amount of effort.

I also tend not to use eggs at their very freshest, though I often will make egg white cocktails with a new batch of eggs, just for the novelty.

That said, my non-egged shaken drinks get quite frothy by themselves if I don't double strain, so even with less than super fresh eggs, I get decent if not fluffy froth. Doesn't gum syrup set the froth? Perhaps adding a touch of that if you have it (I don't) might preserve whatever froth is created so that it doesn't fizzle out in the glass.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

A somewhat modified version of the Smoke & Choke cocktail detailed here.

2 oz Gentleman Jack

0.5 oz smoked maple syrup (whoever smoked this wasn't fucking around--I suspect the final drink is about as smoky as the one made with an actual smoked bourbon)

0.25 oz Cynar

4 dashes Peychaud's bitters

1 dash Scrappy's orange bitters

Stirred and then strained into an Old Fashioned glass w/ a lonesome, robust cube.

It works, I reckon. I couldn't imagine knocking back more than, well, one of these ... but I'd make it again, yeah. And I'd make it for people that I suspect might potentially enjoy this. Remind me, haresfur.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

White Lady last night with Beefeater gin, Cointreau, lemon juice + egg white in a 3:2:1 ratio. Really good, although I need to work on my egg foam technique. The texture was thick throughout but it was missing a nice thick layer of foam on top, despite my best efforts.

Next time I will just go for the stick blender, especially with older eggs.

10636882883_35ac25af2d_z.jpg

I assume you do a dry shake first?

I have discovered that dry shaking or whipping after shaking with ice yields better results.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I'm still at work and craving a good stiff stirred rye drink.

Requesting suggestions.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'll be out soon enough, Adam. I want something with which to toast my forthcoming freedom.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I have discovered that dry shaking or whipping after shaking with ice yields better results.

You are confusing me. Are you saying I should shake with ice first, then whip with the stick blender (after straining the ice I imagine?).

Sorry it's Monday and I am a little slow.

I'm still at work and craving a good stiff stirred rye drink.

Requesting suggestions.

Oldfield/Down and Brown?

Are these stiff?

Or good?

Weirdly, I seem to have arrived at these drinks myself.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll go with Fernet, at any rate.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

One of the first drinks that got me thinking.... A great cocktail, to be sure.

Still working the Ransom Old Tom/Pierre Ferrand dry curacao thing here:

2 oz Ransom

3/4 oz PF dry curacao

1/2 oz Russo nocino

2 dashes Aphrodite bitters

Stir, strain, orange twist.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Great suggestion. Hit the spot. Thanks.

I followed it up with a Philabuster via Kindred Cocktails; enjoyable, though the flavors didn't quite meld for me.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Great suggestion. Hit the spot. Thanks.

Rafa - Glad you liked it. It's a good one for sure.

Speaking about good stiff stirred rye drinks, I ended up with a Sazerac tonight. With Bulleit rye and St. George absinthe, it was nothing short of spectacular.

10683310733_f23b7863f1_z.jpg
  • Like 2

What specs do you use in your Sazerac?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Now I'm craving chicken wings.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

What specs do you use in your Sazerac?

I go with the Bartender's Choice version. Chill a glass with crushed ice and ~ 1/4 oz absinthe. Meanwhile, muddle 1 white sugar cube with Peychaud's (I used 3 or 4 dashes) and a barspoon of club soda in a mixing glass. Add 2 oz of rye, add ice, stir, strain into emptied glass. Lemon peel.

I'm a fan of that version as well, though I tend to prefer a touch of demerara syrup to a sugar cube if I have some handy. I need to try the St. George absinthe in a Sazerac.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Speaking of Sazaracs, I'm partial to a genever saz that I call Man Enough to Drink Pink.

ETA: The Toronto is a great drink although my opinion may be coloured by my first made for me by Murray Stenson at Zig Zag. I simply asked him after my first drink, "What's next?" His questions were 1) brown or clear? 2) bitter or sour 3)do you like Fernet? I wasn't sure if the last question was a test, but clearly I passed. He poured small samples of Fernet for some women standing behind me and it was pretty amusing to watch their reactions.

I'll have to try one of the Benedictine variants.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Speaking of Sazaracs, I'm partial to a genever saz that I call Man Enough to Drink Pink.

I remember that you mentioned that one a while back on your eG blog. I am thinking that this could be a good use for my new bottle of St. George dry rye gin.