• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

lesliec

Tonic water on the rocks.

I'm trying a new-ish tonic water: Cascade. It's a bit expensive, but not as stupidly expensive as Fever Tree. It's also more readily available. I guess this is mostly a PSA for haresfur and, perhaps, our southern brothers in New Zealand (maybe Cascade products are available there). Not at all sweet. Rather bitter. Better than the supermarket brands, Capi and Schweppes (and I'm not outright offended by any of them--I rather like the Schweppes stuff straight, for instance).

EDIT

It works nicely with some West Winds Cutlass.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

It's Jack Rose weather. I'm out of grenadine so I made one with cranberry syrup. Nice and Thanksgivings-y.

I like them also with crème de cassis. We don't have Thanksgiving...

I'm going to have to try that.

On the apple brandy note, the cool folks at Laird's just mailed me a bunch of swag (post-its, booklets, clothes, etc), not all of which fits. Anyone want an XL black t-shirt with the Laird's logo?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

On the apple brandy note, the cool folks at Laird's just mailed me a bunch of swag (post-its, booklets, clothes, etc), not all of which fits. Anyone want an XL black t-shirt with the Laird's logo?

Me! I'm a Laird's fan, I'd love it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Damn, I'm too late. How does one get a liquor company to give you free stuff?

Tonic water on the rocks.

I'm trying a new-ish tonic water: Cascade. It's a bit expensive, but not as stupidly expensive as Fever Tree. It's also more readily available. I guess this is mostly a PSA for haresfur and, perhaps, our southern brothers in New Zealand (maybe Cascade products are available there). Not at all sweet. Rather bitter. Better than the supermarket brands, Capi and Schweppes (and I'm not outright offended by any of them--I rather like the Schweppes stuff straight, for instance).

EDIT

It works nicely with some West Winds Cutlass.

Hey, we're not that southern. South-eastern, maybe.

I'm not aware of Cascade tonic (and a quick Googling doesn't give any sensible local results). We have Quina Fina, which some swear by but which I don't find really any different to Schweppes, and Empire Tonic Syrup. The latter is made from real imported cinchona (I've seen it!) rather than essences or whatever and is much drier/more bitter than anything else. I was also introduced to anotehr tonic a couple of weeks ago which was difefrent again, but I don't recall the name. Made by and American from Singapore with a New Zealand connection, if that makes any sense.

Great fan of West Winds Gin. For the uninitiated, it's made in Margaret River, West Australia. The Sabre is their 'normal' 40% version; The Cutlass is 50%. Worth a topic of its own, Chris?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

It's Jack Rose weather. I'm out of grenadine so I made one with cranberry syrup. Nice and Thanksgivings-y.

I like them also with crème de cassis. We don't have Thanksgiving...

I'm going to have to try that.

Wearing big oversized t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up is very hipstery cool around hipstery parts of London

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Damn, I'm too late. How does one get a liquor company to give you free stuff?

Alas, someone claimed it in person before I read these, claiming that an oversized t-shirt was just what she needed to get through winter nights with inadequate heat in this city. I recommended apple brandy cocktails instead.

Should I ever get swag from a distillery again I'll set some aside for eGullet, however.

And to answer your question Hassouni: 1) Enter a contest sponsored by a generous distillery; 2) lose. Presumably winning would result in even more swag.

Wearing big oversized t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up is very hipstery cool around hipstery parts of London

Cool, now I know what I'll wear to annoy you when I show up at your bar.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Thank you. I'd been wondering why people did not find me cool...

Cool, now I know what I'll wear to annoy you when I show up at your bar.

They are contractually incapable of annoyance while on the job. Even such outlandish garb as an uber-tan and pearls will get you nothing but nice manners. Even ordering a Malibu and Coke.

If you want to get a rise you must try harder.

In any case, you have given away your huge t-shirt now, so the question is moot.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

sparkler

333 ml water

55 ml lime juice

55 ml sour orange juice

111 ml tequila

111 ml special addition yerba mate campari

167 ml rainwater madeira

167 ml plymouth slow gin

7 g/L dissolved gas.

bottler.jpeg

I needed a liter of highly carbonated sparkling cocktail to test my new high pressure liquid transfer bottler adaptation of the champagne bottle manifold. this drink is in my usual template but some quotients are divided by two to use some odds and ends laying around. a really great drink. there are all sorts of beautiful overtones and some how it really elevates the yerba mate aroma to prominence. instead of my typical gas injection carbonator that measures the gas with a kitchen scale, this contraption just transfers liquid under pressure from an already carbonated location like a keg or a champagne magnum. in this instance, the liter of cocktail was carbonated in a magnum bottle and then transfer to a few 375's. the system saves a lot of square footage by using a collar system instead of a large stand that clamps so you can basically fit everything in a drawer behind the bar, but I am trying to design a cradle that allows it to use particular 187's.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Rafa has much to answer for, the bounder. Last night we had his The Man Comes Around again. It was so good we then had to have another one ...

Trifecta of spousal abhorrence: Mezcal, Spanish brandy, Fernet Branca. We're having it tonight.... ;)

Delivery of Cynar just arrived. Will the drink produce the same effect if using Vida Mezcal and PF cognac? (I know, I know... but I am completely maxed out with respect to my home bar inventory)

Will the drink produce the same effect if using Vida Mezcal and PF cognac?

I'm sure you'll be fine. Just don't spill any. And we need full details, with pictures ... of the drink.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

What Leslie said. Also what Plantes Vertes said.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

After a rather disappointing drink experiment based on a dubious recipe made worse by a substitution, I decided on a drink from the inimitable Dave Wondrich. The Cocktail is the Sangre de Agave, as found in Killer Cocktails, as well as all over the web.

1.5 Oz Reposado Tequila (Piedra de Azul)

0.5 Oz Dark Rum (Goslings)

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Cassis (Mathilde)

0.5 Oz tsp Rich Demerara Syrup

Lovely cocktail. Wonderfully rich. I love the interplay of the dark rum and cassis, which is supported by the backbone of the tequila's peppery notes. Perfect blend of rich and fresh, and a great way to end a rather long day.

• Like 1

Rafa has much to answer for, the bounder. Last night we had his The Man Comes Around again. It was so good we then had to have another one ...

Trifecta of spousal abhorrence: Mezcal, Spanish brandy, Fernet Branca. We're having it tonight.... ;)

Delivery of Cynar just arrived. Will the drink produce the same effect if using Vida Mezcal and PF cognac? (I know, I know... but I am completely maxed out with respect to my home bar inventory)

Chris Taylor made this for me using my cheap French brandy and even cheaper rotgut Mescal. I thought it was alright but Chris would be able to give you a better opinion of the substitution.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I think the cheap brandy worked. I mean, it's not like the two Spanish brandies sold at Dan Murphy's are expensive and refined. As for the mezcal, well, mine isn't exactly a $100 bottle. It was fairly close to what I make with actual Spanish brandy, really. So I think your substitute will be fine.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

bostonapothecary -- how much pressure is in the gas lines? The working pressure of regular vinyl tubing is alarmingly low -- maybe 50-70 psi. Braid-reinforced tubing is quite a bit stronger, but it is stiffer.

From the car world, the difference in cost for fuel injection hose (working pressure around 100 psi, burst strength around 600 psi) versus "regular" fuel hose is probably 4x. Submersible fuel hose cost is, well, don't ask.

My motto: Drive, then Drink.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

@Princesse, I've used Sombra (mucho humo) and Fidencio Clásico (mild smoke) and enjoyed it with both. Vida should be fine.

I made it with Spanish brandy originally because I wanted something that would add both sherry notes and proof, but Dan tried it with cognac and liked it, so PF should work fine. The only potential issue I see is with the PF 1840, which might change the balance of the drink with its proof. But even then it would probably taste okay.

For those of you who liked the drink, you might enjoy the similar but Turkish coffee-themed

by Rafa García Febles, NYC.
1 1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Demerara Rum, Lemon Hart 151
1/2 oz Coffee (Cold)
1 t Old Tom Gin, Ransom
1 ds Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole
1 ds Cardamom bitters
Stir, strain, rock.
My notes: Turkish coffee, cigar, bitter chocolate.
...as well as Rhett Williams' very good Black Rider:

by Rhett Williams, Pourhouse, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
1 oz Brandy, Torres 5 Year Old
1 oz Mezcal, Fidencio
3/4 oz Cynar
Combine ingredients with ice, stir. Strain into a cocktail glass.
--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community
Personally I prefer these ingredients with the balance skewed heavily toward the Cynar, but ymmv.
Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

bostonapothecary -- how much pressure is in the gas lines? The working pressure of regular vinyl tubing is alarmingly low -- maybe 50-70 psi. Braid-reinforced tubing is quite a bit stronger, but it is stiffer.

From the car world, the difference in cost for fuel injection hose (working pressure around 100 psi, burst strength around 600 psi) versus "regular" fuel hose is probably 4x. Submersible fuel hose cost is, well, don't ask.

My motto: Drive, then Drink.

I'm using stuff rated for soda which goes pretty high. the pressure I'm working at is 65 PSI but I think a lot of transfers can be done much lower. I'm about to order some more optimal hose. I think something with the smallest diameter of all the common high pressure beverage hose. It works really well but it still demands that the users completely understand all the operating principles which is a no go for a lot of bar programs unfortunately.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

That's a good'un. Lovely color.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com