• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! (2013 Part 2)

lesliec

So it was Thursday night again, which is as good an excuse as any to visit the Hawthorn Lounge in bustling downtown Wellywood.

After the initial pleasantries (which, oddly enough, included a drink), I said to Gian, 'I'd like to play with some different amari'. So he thought a bit, worked out he had just enough Ramazzotti in a spray bottle to make a drink, and started creating.

Ginger.jpg

The main ingredient in these two is Stone's Green Ginger Wine, which Wifey and I used to drink with Coke (sophisticated, we were) when we met back in the 70s. Add a bit of Ramazzotti (the one on the left) or Averna (the one on the right), some Smith & Cross (which is virtually impossible to get here, but never mind) and some Mole bitters and you have a pretty good drink. At this point, the Averna version has a slight edge, to my taste; it's darker, richer, more grown-up. But then, float some Mezcal. Wow!

The ginger is certainly there but doesn't dominate. You can smell the Smith & Cross. One dash (say 4-5 drops) of the bitters is enough; more starts getting too chocolatey and doesn't seem quite right. But the Mezcal really lights up the drinks. With that in the mix, the Ramazzotti version wins hands down.

So then we needed names. With a gingerbread theme in mind, the Ramazzotti is You Can't Catch Me. The Averna was going to be Catch Me If You Can but Kindred already has one of those, so it's now Run, Run, As Fast As You Can.

Enjoy them - they're going fast.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I am not familiar with ginger wine - how does it differ from ginger beer, tastewise?

Completely different. Much stronger in taste, not that I've had it on its own for maybe 30 years, if ever!

This is the best Wikipedia can do, and the 'real' site isn't much more informative.

The two drinks might work with ginger ale, as distinct from beer, I suspect.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

I am not familiar with ginger wine - how does it differ from ginger beer, tastewise?

I think ginger wine is probably more like Domain de Canton than anything. Stones is a currant wine flavoured with ginger. Ungodly sweet and not really at all like ginger beer. I use it in things like whiskey mac and a Ginger Envelope. More discussion on ginger wine in the posts below the link.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Rafa has much to answer for, the bounder. Last night we had his The Man Comes Around again. It was so good we then had to have another one ...

Trifecta of spousal abhorrence: Mezcal, Spanish brandy, Fernet Branca. We're having it tonight.... ;)

I refuse to take any blame for you foisting this on your spouse.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Man Comes Around is brilliant, although I used cognac as I had no Spanish brandy.

So, what did you wife think about it?

While I was enjoying a Kingston Negroni I made another awful realization - I had not made a proper Manhattan in months! (the desperation Manhattan I had to make at a recent party that had a do-it-yourself bar using Canadian Club whiskey does NOT count...). So that's what I ended up making for my husband. Rittenhouse rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Jerry Thomas' decanter bitters, brandied cherry.

10200149633_e359c4579b_z.jpg

• Like 2

The Man Comes Around is brilliant, although I used cognac as I had no Spanish brandy.

Don't leave us hanging. Has she recovered?

I'm gratified by all the enjoyment that many of you are getting out of this drink, by the way. It's idiosyncratic but it hits a lot of my sweet (or bitter) spots and I'm glad it hits yours too.

Oh, right, thread topic. Many nights of many Martinis for me (Broker's, Dolin, Regan's, lemon twist), plus a few things I'm working on for this month's MxMo. And I just bought a bottle of glorious manzanilla, so I'm looking forward to a weekend of sherry cocktails. I think I'll start with a Bamboo.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Looks like they are no longer on speaking terms.

Aphrodisiac. No speaking needed. ;)

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Looks like they are no longer on speaking terms.

Aphrodisiac. No speaking needed. ;)

It is an unspeakably good drink.

Yesterday was Aethercon 2013, the biggest day on the Wellington steampunk calendar. After the festivities, six of us (in full costume, much to the befuddlement of other patrons) went over to the Hawthorn Lounge, where four of us felt it would be appropriate to order Rusty Automatons (rye, bourbon, Cherry Heering, mole bitters) . If you know anything at all about steampunk you'll probably appreciate why that's so appropriate. If you don't ... in brief, us steampunks like automatons and dirigibles and ray guns and stuff. Anyway, it's a nice drink. More or less rust-coloured, nicely balanced. From somewhere, about five minutes in, I started getting a taste of coconut. Surprising but good.

It was even more appropriate because the drink was created by Jonny Almario, who used to work at Hawthorn a few years back.

• Like 2

My eG Foodblog

The jalapeno julep from Edward Lee's new-ish cookbook, Smoke & Pickles.

A half dozen mint leaves muddled w/ 1 oz jalapeno-infused simple (add a couple of chopped jalapenos to a cup each of sugar and water, bring to boil, set aside for 20 minutes) and 2.5 oz bourbon. Crushed ice. Topped up with a bit of soda water.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

These are some drinks we enjoyed recently at the Zetter Townhouse in Clerkenwell. Original recipes are devised by Tony Conigliaro.

Negroni for my friend. He called this pretty standard and had some better ones in the Negroni Bar at Polpo restaurant later on... and after that, some superb barrel-aged specimens with mixed vermouths at Shoreditch House. He knows what he likes to drink.

031 (480x640).jpg

Flintlock for me. I was a little insulted when the waitress warned me that this was 'a strong drink' and asked whether I was sure I wanted it... Guess I looked either fragile or already drunk. Anyway, it's listed as containing:

Beefeater 24 gin, gunpowder tea tincture, sugar, dandelion & burdock bitters & Fernet Branca

The Fernet Branca was hard to detect; perhaps the waitress wished to spare me the shock. The drink tasted of sugar and absinthe.

You also get a small gun cotton blast to top off your drink.

032 (480x640).jpg

El Presidente for my friend, which totally knocked him out and compelled him to drink another.

033 (480x640).jpg

Richmond for me.

Chivas Regal 12yr, apple honey & Lillet blanc

034 (480x640).jpg

It was simple and delicate. Nice for a rainy afternoon.

Later I ended up back there again for some Koln Martinis with Adam George, which we both could have enjoyed if I hadn't spilled most of mine into his man-bag. The waitress spritzes the citrus aromatics over your glass at the table.

This bar is really comfortable and a nice place to relax early in the evening. The decor is country house library-themed so it's not the place to go insane with your liquor. Music is innocuous blues.

That's not Michael Stipe in the background by the way, not matter what you think.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1

That's not Michael Stipe in the background by the way, not matter what you think.

I think I thought I saw him try.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Gabriel's Nurse, after Gabriel Byrne and, you know....

2 oz Irish whiskey

3/4 oz MB creme de cacao

1/2 oz rich demerara syrup

2 Angostura

2 oz milk

grate of nutmeg

Shake; strain over ice in an OF glass; grate the nutmeg over the top.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Los Angeles has dipped into the 60's, which means it's now fall.

I went for a Manhattan, but swapped 1/2 the rye for some Apple Brandy. It was exactly what I was looking for.

1 oz. Rittenhouse

1 oz. Laird's BIB Apple Brandy

1 oz. Carpano Antica

2 dashes Miracle Mile Forbidden Bitters

Lemon Peel.

I could've sworn a 1/2 rye, 1/2 apple jack manhattan had a name. Oh well, it's doesn't need a name - it's just needs to be the right time of year, and this is it.

• Like 1

These are some drinks we enjoyed recently at the Zetter Townhouse in Clerkenwell. Original recipes are devised by Tony Conigliaro.

Negroni

some superb barrel-aged specimens with mixed vermouths at Shoreditch House. He knows what he likes to drink.

Flintlock for me. I was a little insulted when the waitress warned me that this was 'a strong drink' and asked whether I was sure I wanted it... Guess I looked either fragile or already drunk. Anyway, it's listed as containing:

Later I ended up back there again for some Koln Martinis with Adam George, which we both could have enjoyed if I hadn't spilled most of mine into his man-bag. The waitress spritzes the citrus aromatics over your glass at the table.

This bar is really comfortable and a nice place to relax early in the evening. The decor is country house library-themed so it's not the place to go insane with your liquor. Music is innocuous blues.

Shoreditch House has got very WankMixology since I was there. Funny....

I've been a different bar and had the waiter tell my female companion a drink was "strong".

I put it down to staff training, really. I trained my staff previously to refer to drinks as either "spirit forward" or "easy drinking" rather than "strong" and "light".

I really would like to see more effort put into training floor staff at decent cocktail bars.

I like the Koln Martini, but was expecting more of a unique flavour profile. I'd give it a go again when less tired, I think.

Overall, Zetter is lovely bar and well worth a detour.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Negroni

some superb barrel-aged specimens with mixed vermouths at Shoreditch House. He knows what he likes to drink.

I've been a different bar and had the waiter tell my female companion a drink was "strong".

I put it down to staff training, really. I trained my staff previously to refer to drinks as either "spirit forward" or "easy drinking" rather than "strong" and "light".

I really would like to see more effort put into training floor staff at decent cocktail bars.

Wrong on many levels. Did the waiter look at you and think you were not to be trusted? Then again the dangerous drinks are strong and easy drinking.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Negroni

Wrong on many levels. Did the waiter look at you and think you were not to be trusted? Then again the dangerous drinks are strong and easy drinking.

If she thought I was not to be trusted.... well, she was probably right :wink:

Flintlock for me. I was a little insulted when the waitress warned me that this was 'a strong drink' and asked whether I was sure I wanted it... Guess I looked either fragile or already drunk.

So used to this. Here people warn you if the beer is sour, if the cocktail is bitter, contains a raw egg, etc... They will even take your wine glass away if you are a woman and seem pregnant...

No such nonsense at the Sycamore Den. This relatively new bar in Normal Heights looks like your dad's man cave in the 70s, complete with wood paneling, banjo, shotgun collection, and period-appropriate music selection. Kind of fun although somewhat crowded (as expected) & loud on a Saturday night.

Too busy hipster-watching, I opted not to take photos. Eric Johnson formerly of Noble Experiment designed the cocktail menu. I had a Swiss Bank, a mild daiquiri tempered by pineapple juice and a touch of absinthe, Swiss-Mist like (but with rum). It would have been a more logical choice for my first drink (starting with something subtle) but instead I went for the Dovetail Julep, a great rendition with gin & cognac, a hint of peach from the bitters and more of that Kubler absinthe. It looked like a snow cone piled into a little tin camping mug. Really nice. Also a Monk Improved, an improved cocktail with Maraschino & Chartreuse.

It will be good to go back on a weeknight when things are a little calmer.

• Like 2