• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making a Prep List

sugarseattle

I've been exploring different techniques to making a prep list. We used to just make it at the end of every day, but things kept getting missed and then there would be last minute additions. Lately, we've been doing inventory once/week and then making a prep list for 5 days. The goal is that we could start seeing trends and then adjust our batch sizes to streamline things.

How do you folks manage your prep lists? Do you use a par system? Does one person do the list, or does everybody contribute?

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

We have a par system for the basics: curds, simple syrup, caramel, sauces, purees, etc and the most popular items our clients order (macaron shells, chocolate decadence, cheesecake pops). We have white boards on the outside of the cooler and freezer. Everyone contributes when something is getting low by writing it on the white board, and there is a white board on the outside of the freezer also lists current inventory for the stuff we have to maintain. Same for paper (boxes, cardboards, cupcake liners) and supplies (like heath bar or cocoa) so when it's low, it goes on the board so it can be replenished. One person (me) is responsible for writing up the daily prep sheets for the week and usually we have one day (Tuesday) that we do the bulk of the restocking for basics because it's not a heavy production day. I can look at the board outside the freezer and know that if we have less than 50 individual Decadence in the freezer, we should make another batch to have on hand and make that part of the prep list for a day.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tend to find that I'll break the menu down for each section of the kitchen and print up a list of prep for each section and laminate it so that the chefs always have something to look at to jog their minds and they can then either write a prep list on paper or use a whiteboard marker and mark it on the laminated prep sheet.

• Like 1

E.D.E!

Eat / Drink / Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

Tried cutting and pasting but didn't translate...

Excel format; mise listed under each dish(per row) with a blank daily column for quantities. Fill it out each night for the next day. Highlight items for AM prep crew and leave PM prep regular. Helps differentiate.

Edited by Isaac Miller (log)