• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap alternative to wine aroma set - Le nez du vin

Mibr01ac

Hi all,

I looking at upgrading my Le nez du vin (12 aromas) set to the 54 aroma set but finding it a real pain of potentially paying GBP 300-500 for the set. Imagine all that nice wine I could by instead :).

Do anyone know of cheaper alternatives to Le Nez du vin? I have found a few but they are only 10-20 pct chapter which I still think is a lot.

Thank you and I hope you guys have some good ideas.

Michael.

Would you be willing to make your own? The eGullet Culinary Institute ran a course on evaluating wine some years ago. The introduction has instructions for making your own component kit. It was inexpensive, easy, and very useful for me. Here's the link. The instructions for making your own aroma (component) kit are down near the bottom of the post.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/62944-introduction-evaluating-wine/

Edited for spelling

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hi Smithy,

I would like to buy to have a "complete" collection of aromas but thanks for the link.

By the way do you know how long the aromas in the link can be preserved? I assume it will only be for a few days or week and in the fridge.

Hi Smithy,

I would like to buy to have a "complete" collection of aromas but thanks for the link.

By the way do you know how long the aromas in the link can be preserved? I assume it will only be for a few days or week and in the fridge.

Mine lasted for weeks, or months. It's been a few years now, but I remember being able to use them long after I'd completed the course. I don't think I refrigerated them. I KNOW I didn't try to taste them; :raz: but they held the aromas I needed.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 months later...