• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about aging meat

ambra

I bought four lbs. of short ribs from the butcher a few weeks ago and when I did, he instructed me to age them at least 10 days in the fridge before using them or freezing them. This was because he hadn't completely finished aging them and if they were eaten right away, they would be too tough.

I forgot that he said that and I put them directly in the freezer. :(

I'm just wondering what I should do now. If I braise them will they still be too tough? Will the braising take care of that?

I really don't know much about aging or cooking with short ribs for that matter. I was just so happy to see the cut (which is not popular where I live) that I bought all that he had.

Thanks in advance.

You could still thaw and age...for 3-4 days. Your just desiccating..the beef a bit...if you don't and try to sear your risk....you'll. probably just steam the meat caused by defrosting. Drying it a bit on a wire rack..in the bottom of the frig..allowing air circulation.

The braising should rehydrate...a the slight age will provide the ability to sear and create a bit of umami

Just my thhought

Its good to have Morels