• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2013–2015

ChrisTaylor

The walking onion bulbs I planted last year are coming up. If they survive I will have a nice substitute for green onions in my Asian dishes. But, I do not expect them to do well .

Why?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Why?

I did not prepare the soil properly last year. So, I am wondering, if I do it now, will they be able to do their "walk" at the end of the season?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

They're a very tough plant.

Did you start with top-sets or older bulbs?

You said that you didn't properly prepare the soil...what do you mean by that?

I moved a patch last fall and some have been heaved out of the ground by the frost (bad winter here.)

I need to get out there and reset them soon but in the long run it's not going to bother them a bit

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

They're a very tough plant.

Did you start with top-sets or older bulbs?

You said that you didn't properly prepare the soil...what do you mean by that?

I moved a patch last fall and some have been heaved out of the ground by the frost (bad winter here.)

I need to get out there and reset them soon but in the long run it's not going to bother them a bit

I started with bulbs from a friends garden. When I planted them, I just cleared enough space to put them in. The rest of the ground is covered with grass. I am concerned that the new bulblets will not be able to take root. I am hoping that I can clear the grass away in time for them to drop. Obviously, no bulblets have formed yet. So, I am thinking that I have time.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

You have plenty of time.

They take root very easily or you can always just hand plant them.

• Like 2

You have plenty of time.

They take root very easily or you can always just hand plant them.

Thank you! I have developed an interest in edible perennials. This onion was the most interesting vegetable on the list. I am thinking about trying rhubarb, if someone had some extra roots :smile:

• Like 3

Thank you! I have developed an interest in edible perennials. This onion was the most interesting vegetable on the list. I am thinking about trying rhubarb, if someone had some extra roots :smile:

Rhubarb is good but Caucasian Spinach (Hablitzia Tamnoides) is one perennial edible that I'm VERY excited about....I have a bunch of seeds planted.

http://emmacooper.org/files/hablitzia.pdf

• Like 1

Rhubarb is good but Caucasian Spinach (Hablitzia Tamnoides) is one perennial edible that I'm VERY excited about....I have a bunch of seeds planted.

Caucasian spinach sounds amazing, the ideal dark green veg for colder climes. BTW, this got me thinking, do you know Chenopodium  Alba? It has many common names. It grows wild in my area .

Yes, Lamb's-Quarters is very abundant here.

• Like 1

Should I assume that there is no longer any source for these seeds? I saw the source in the article.

I planted some roots cut off from green onions I had bought last year at the Asian grocery at the suggestion of, I believe, of our member dcarch.

I just threw them in a flower box on the deck, and even though I do not get enough sun once my trees' canopy comes on in late spring they were quite successful. They were leggy and floppy due to lack of adequate sunlight, but I was able to use them for all the green onions I cared to use through summer and into fall.

I'd say onions are a hardy crop in very adverse conditions. Also I had no insect problems, and when I put my cyclamens outside to try to give them a bit more sun, they were immediately inundated by creepy scale insects. Those damned things jump like fleas or jumping spiders! UGH! We had Japanese beetle infestations two years in a row. They are very destructive. No problem with the onions.

Good luck with yours Naftal.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Fedco sells the seeds but it looks like they're sold out for the season...

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/search?item=2590&

I sourced the seeds via the Hablitzia group on Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I found this website. Some of you may know it, I thought it was good because it addressed my interests and my planting region specifically.

http://tcpermaculture.com/site/

• Like 1

Peas are up, spinach is up, collards are up, onions are up.  No lettuce or brussels sprouts.  Sigh.

Was going to plant some more stuff this morning, but we got over an inch of rain last night and it's too muddy.

• Like 3

My garden is finally clear of snow - and turned to mud. But inside my tomato seedlings have been moved into beer cups (the ones going into my garden. I have about 50-70 more to give away. Some very interesting varieties, If anyone is in the Finger Lakes area and wants seedlings let me know.) , radicchio and cardoon into 4" peat pots. The basil, broccolini, Chinese cabbage and mini cabbage should be ready to move out of seed trays next week. 

And the spring bulbs that the critters didn't eat are blossoming! I'm never sure whether I am a cook who gardens or a gardener who cooks. And does it matter?

Elainaq

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

The broccoli and cilantro has gone to seed in a big way and have flopped over after all the rain we've had. The onions are starting to bulb. I left off starting my tomatoes as my lights burnt out and new ones ordered.

I can get my seed started and up to speed and hardened off in the next four weeks.

Pests except the 4-legged kind haven't been much of a problem the last couple of years. I let the birds have their way in the garden when it comes to bugs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Everything looks pretty good in the garden (knock on wood).  The peas are still alive and well.  Some lettuce has emerged.  Spinach and collards going strong.  Of course, not near big enough to pick yet, but it gives me a thrill every time I go out and see some progress  :smile:   No sign of the okra.....I've read those seeds take like 21 days to germinate.  Patience Shelby, patience.

I was totally burned out on gardening last year but this year I've come back with a vengeance.  The weather has been very nice here.  Usually Kansas goes from winter to summer....no spring.  Not the case this year.  Last week I planted 15 Early Girl tomato plants and 6 cherry tomato plants along with about 200 sweet corn seeds.  I've never planted sweet corn so we'll see.

I also accidentally rototilled some of my lettuce seeds up  :hmmm: .  Don't tell my husband.

We will be going to the greenhouse in a town near here on Monday to get a few things.  I'll report back on my finds.  Hopefully it will include some eggplant plants.

I snapped a few pics of the garden.  Nothing fancy  :laugh:   It will look better when everything gets bigger.

Part of the asparagus bed

photo 1.JPG

Peas on the far right.  Onions in the middle. Spinach and collards on the left.

photo 2.JPG

Tomatoes

photo 4.JPG

• Like 7

We will be going to the greenhouse in a town near here on Monday to get a few things.  I'll report back on my finds.  Hopefully it will include some eggplant plants.

I grew some lovely eggplant from seed a few years ago. I used these, from Renee's Garden Seeds in California:

http://info.reneesgarden.com/seeds/vegetables/eggplant-container-little-prince/

I don't know if you want to try and grow from seed at all, but I had great success with these little plants. The plants, the flowers and the smaller fruit were all gorgeous. Unfortunately, I don't really like eggplant so gave most of them away. :wacko:  But i did enjoy growing them and plan to use them again. If you like smaller fruit, these are nice. She also has Italian and Asian varieties with mixed seed or color-coded so you get 3 varieties/colors in one package.

I love her seeds for smaller gardens, because one package will often give you a selection, not just one type of plant. 

• Like 1

Oh Shelby, I am so jealous. Snowing here both yesterday and today. The garlic looks fine but my spring flowers (daffodils, miniature iris, scales and hyacinths) look so sad! I was hoping to till this weekend and plant peas and lettuce but no such luck. Maybe next week......

Elaina

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

You garden looks great Shelby!

Thanks for sharing the photos. I, for one, would be very interested in any future progress reports you would care to share with us.

Good luck with the corn. It likes a lot of nitrogen and water. It's best to try to get it harvested before the really hot dry part of summer, or it will parch. You also can't plant a single row, or it won't pollinate properly. I always moved the corn to a different area of the garden each year and tried to plant it where I had peas or beans the year before, because those crops actually fix nitrogen in the soil. I would definitely expect to have to irrigate it in Kansas.

Your okra should do well in the hot dry Kansas summer. In really dry years where everything else was parched, the okra was thriving and producing like crazy.

Condolences to Darienne and ElainaA who reported recent snowfall. It's time for winter to move on!

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

First of all, allow me to say I am no doubt among the world's worst gardeners. 

Followed up by I have planted tomatillos for the past few years with some success.  They are one thing you cannot buy in my area.  Ever.  I plant seedlings from a local grocery store first of June.  You don't plant in East Central Ontario until June 1st.  Rule. 

No need now to plant Poblanos.  They have been in two grocery chains for about three years now and these two chains have expanded their 'exotic' products greatly.  Thanks heavens.   :wub:

This year, Cylexa has very kindly sent me some epazote seeds which I intend to plant immediately indoors.  And hope for the best.  Thanks again, Cylexa.

Any information on growing epazote welcomed.

ps.  I think, I hope, I pray that the snow is finally over.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.