• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been using an 1/2 inch steel and have been getting good results at three to four minutes.  Tonight I took temperature measurements directly on the steel as the oven heated:

30 minutes 198F.

60 minutes 364F.

90 minutes 427F.

120 minutes 450F.

150 minutes 477F.

180 minutes 477F.

The temperature never went above 477.  I did not attempt to measure after running the broiler for fear of my safety.  The pie was pretty blackened after four minutes*.  Three and a half minutes seems like a good compromise.

Still trying to figure this out, I may have gotten the oven calibration backwards.  Next time I will try measuring oven air temperature.  It should have been around 585F.  My air probe goes up to 662F.  Thoughts welcome.

*though I was using leftover bread dough, not pizza dough.

It looks like your infrared thermometer isn't working properly.  477F can't blacken the bottom of a pizza in 4 minutes.  585F- now that will produce what you're experiencing.

Have you tested your IR thermometer with boiling water?

scott123

scott123

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been using an 1/2 inch steel and have been getting good results at three to four minutes.  Tonight I took temperature measurements directly on the steel as the oven heated:

30 minutes 198F.

60 minutes 364F.

90 minutes 427F.

120 minutes 450F.

150 minutes 477F.

180 minutes 477F.

The temperature never went above 477.  I did not attempt to measure after running the broiler for fear of my safety.  The pie was pretty blackened after four minutes*.  Three and a half minutes seems like a good compromise.

Still trying to figure this out, I may have gotten the oven calibration backwards.  Next time I will try measuring oven air temperature.  It should have been around 585F.  My air probe goes up to 662F.  Thoughts welcome.

It looks like your infrared thermometer sn't working properly.  477F can't blacken the bottom of a pizza in 4 minutes.  585F- now that will produce what you're experiencing.

scott123

scott123

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

30 minutes 198F.

60 minutes 364F.

90 minutes 427F.

120 minutes 450F.

150 minutes 477F.

180 minutes 477F.

It looks like your infrared thermometer thermometer isn't working properly.  477F can't blacken the bottom of a pizza in 4 minutes.  585F- now that will produce what you're experiencing.