• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Grill Sergeants

Dakki

So I recently found out that along with whitebread, insipid internal channel PBS and foreign propagada network Voice of America (and the similar Radio Free X supposedly-private-but-established-by-act-of-Congress networks), the USA have a whole network for their armed forces, of which the centerpiece is the aptly named Pentagon Channel.

Well, the channel itself is apparently dying, and from what my US enlisted friends tell me, won't really be missed, but I was intrigued by this show.

(Copyright stuff: It is my understanding that media produced by and for the United States Federal Gov't including the Department of Defense is essentially in public doman so it should be OK to link this here.)

I haven't started watching it, but I thought I would link it and get a conversation started. Has anyone seen this?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I have, actually. The word that comes to mind immediately, is "crap". Having worked with several military chefs in the past, this show really highlighted why I always found them to be mediocre cooks, at best.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Interesting. I was imagining some beer-guzzling grizzled Marine sharing the recipe for fried goat guts he got from a wizened old granny in some random SEA village. That would be a great show!

If I may inquire, what were the circs around working with military chefs? Also, what is a military chef? Like a mess cook?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Having never been in the military, I honestly don't know what qualifications they may have. The circumstances were varied, as I know a lot of ex-mil chefs, and none of them pretend to know how to cook. They can, however open a can of anything in 73 different ways lol.

The scene you imagined, however, was from a show that I'd like to put out for everybody...

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

(Copyright stuff: It is my understanding that media produced by and for the United States Federal Gov't including the Department of Defense is essentially in public doman so it should be OK to link this here.)

Whether it is public domain, I don't know. But linking to copyright material is always OK. Copying and pasting it here isn't.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The UK armed forces actually have a competition thats highly respected for their field 'food groups'

Ive seen the competitions: one with scrounge around to get the equipment to cook from 'whats on hand' , and another to make a 'full course meal' from standard boxed MIL food using the standard MIL field food kitchen.

the series "Two Fat Ladies" did an Ep. in a standard field kitchen, which happen to belong to some gurkhas. the gurkhas appreciated their efforts. the Martinis, and cigs for after they were done they brought themselves.

it was very interesting and shown on the BBC