• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Green Pan Non-Stick????

Norm Matthews

I know. I have heard it called a gimmick and a piece of junk. I have also heard of people who like it. In any case I got one for free today.. points accumulated at a grocery store. Tomorrow is the last day they can be redeemed for one of these. It is not light weight or thin. It is a fair sized skillet with a riveted handle and a glass lid.

Well I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions or first hand information about it.

I know. I have heard it called a gimmick and a piece of junk. I have also heard of people who like it. In any case I got one for free today.. points accumulated at a grocery store. Tomorrow is the last day they can be redeemed for one of these. It is not light weight or thin. It is a fair sized skillet with a riveted handle and a glass lid.

Well I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions or first hand information about it.

We had two of these, made by Henckels. They lasted about a year.

I got a set of two of the GreenLife ones for Christmas last year. I like them. But, I mostly use them for eggs and a few other tasks where I really want nonstick. I never use them over very high heat. Mine have soft handles so can only go in a low oven. I've never put them in the oven. They aren't expensive and they server the limited purpose I want them for.

Strange, I was just researching this after meeting a man in the grocery store who was trying to find a proper cleaner and couldn't read the labels on cleaning products. He finally decided to go to another store and see if he could find his original helper, which he claimed was something like Soft Scrub with Palmolive - or perhaps it was Palmolive with Soft Scrub. At any rate he said his pan had originally worked well but not was no longer nonstick for eggs, with or without butter put in the pan first. He was having a terrible time getting the pan clean.

After I left, having been no help at all, I looked up "greenpan recommended cleaning" and found several disgruntled posts in which people reported that the surface had ceased to be nonstick after a relatively short time. Some noted that the pans do better if they're never subjected to high heat. The manufacturer says the thermal conductivity of Thermolong is such that one need never do more than "medium" (or was it "medium high"?) heat. They didn't go so far as to say that high heat would destroy the surface as it would Teflon.

I overstated in my first sentence when I used the word "researching", since my "research" consisted of reading 3 articles and the first levels of their link...but overall I decided not to bother with these pans. If someone else has had better experience than the folks I read, we can hope they'll post here.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have the Green Pan which has been fine but the new Cuisinart Greengourmet is of much higher quality and not too expensive.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

They lasted about a year.

What failed on them?

The non-stick coating failed on them. They look perfect but alas, food sticks. And no, I never used them on high heat. We have been in touch with the manufacturer and they have said to return them at our expense and if found to be defective, they will replace them with goods of equal value. We haven't done this yet, and I am not sure we are going to.

• Like 1

It has typical non stick warnings with the paper that came with it: Medium heat, let cool before washing, avoid frequent dishwasher use, no cutting in the pan, no metal utensils with scratchy edges, etc. I didn't need another skillet but it was 'free' with points I had accumulated. I doubt I'll use it often or in a manner in which non-stick properties will be important and last of all I won't have any problems tossing it if it does not perform well.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)