• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Shopping: Do It Solo Or With A Partner?

weinoo

alone, it's one of my zen moments :-)

This is a great reason.

Zen moment?!

Have you seen shoppers with cart loads of expensive cuts of meat, and paying with Food Stamps?

Have you been behind someone at the cash register sorting out a hundred coupons?

dcarch

• Like 1

alone, it's one of my zen moments :-)

This is a great reason.

Zen moment?!

Have you seen shoppers with cart loads of expensive cuts of meat, and paying with Food Stamps?

Have you been behind someone at the cash register sorting out a hundred coupons?

dcarch

I always do the self checkout. Watching the coupon queens makes me nuts. As does being behind a person with a big order who goes through the whole scanning/checkout and only at the end starts rooting through a gigantic purse to find their checkbook...or exact change. ARRRGH.

• Like 1

What irritates me most are the clots who line up at the checkout, take forever bagging what they buy then seem utterly astonished that they are required to pay. They then spend another half a day trying to find their money, count out an approximation of the the correct amount, subtract the coupons and try to remember their own names.

Checkout people are usually astonished that can I work out the price I have to pay in my head before the till tells them the answer and that I already have the correct amount in my hand.

My ex-wife- would just mutter over and over again under her breath "Don't do it! Don't do it!"

She knew I was about to pick the cretins up and deposit them in the nearest freezer cabinet. So she stopped coming shopping with me. After which, I was free to freeze the feeble out.

I won't say the end of our marriage was entirely down to shopping, but it certainly contributed.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I've shopped alone all my adult life, except for those few times when friends were visiting and I brought them along to the weekend Farmers' Market(s), when they were content to just observe what I got and rummage a littlle bit amongst the offerings themselves and comment upon it to me. Supermarkets - always alone. I alternate between simply getting what I need and "browsing", in the broad sense, depending also on the circumstance.

I find the whole scenario to be similar to when I go to something like a flower or an orchid show - if I have someone along on the trip it always either slows me down or inhibits me because he/she has different "sampling" or "discovery" or "inspection" or "interest" or "rate-of-browsing" speeds and any number of variants thereof. When I still grew orchids passionately, I tried never to go to a show with a friend, because my browsing proclivities whether with the exhibits or the vendors were never the same as anyone else. Ditto "grocery shopping". Sure, compromise is always an option, but for greatest enjoyment, whether shopping or looking, I find it is always best done ALONE.

Edited by huiray (log)

Well huiray just told my story. The only person I could stand to food shop with was my son in ethnic markets. He would wander and get entranced by unusual items; no foot tapping or constant glancing at the time.

I shop alone.

Why does this remind me of a George Thoroghgood song?

I do agree with Annabelle. The last time I went shopping with Johnnybird I told him his designated area was the kids seat. I got the rest of the cart for our staples, veg, fruit and any protein. He had to pay for what he put in his area and I paid for our household items. His bill was about 75.00 and mine was about half of that...course I didn't buy the sunglasses, Frisbee, cassette tapes and candy he did.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites