• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Should Bamboo Spoons be Oiled? Lacquered Bamboo Spoons?

Shel_B

I've been looking for a couple of new bamboos mixing spoons, and came across an admonishment to be sure to oil bamboo utensils, especially mixing spoons that often get into hot mixtures. Now, my favorite, long time bamboo spoon is 35 years old, and it's never been oiled. It seems to be holding up quite well. So, what's the skinny on oiling bamboo spoons?

I've also noticed that most of the spoons I've looked at have been coated with something, perhaps lacquer or some similar protective coating. Does anyone know what that coating really is? And what's it's purpose - it eventually wears off? I'd much prefer an uncoated spoon - good bamboo doesn't need help from industrial coatings.

... Shel

I oil mine, both boards and utensils. They look and feel much nicer and I haven't had any of my boards warp since I started doing it, but it could be all in my head.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.