• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Noonu Enoch

Suggest some Lebanese desserts or sweets recipe!

I want to try out some desserts or sweets prepared in Lebanese style. Please suggest some desserts.

Noonu Enoch, welcome to eGullet! I'm glad you asked the question about Lebanese desserts or sweets, because it sent me looking through the eGullet Culinary Institute ("eGCI") for Foodman's excellent primer, "Introduction to Lebanese Cuisine". I found a lot of other good courses along the way that I'd forgotten, so the search was helpful for me.

These courses are free, you can go through them at your own pace, and a link is provided for you to ask questions. It's hard to find unless you already know it exists, so here's a link to the post:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/28480-introduction-to-lebanese-cuisine/?p=390820

It's a long post. The dessert discussion is about halfway down.

Thanks for sharing the link @Smithy. It is a very helpful post. The desserts Baklava and Kunafe (or Kenafe) is very familiar but 'Asabih El haroos' is something new for me.

look up:

knafeh

osmaliyeh

halawet jibne

muhallabi

riz bi halib

ma'moul

and of course: baqlawa, burma, etc

• Similar Content

• By KennethT
      Is there a discussion in the book about the purpose of adding ascorbic acid?  I just saw the contest #2 in which the recipe called for it.  I'm curious because a woman I know on the internet used to work in a bakery in Vietnam, and said that to get similar results to the banh mi there, you need to add ascorbic acid.  Does it act as a gluten relaxer?  Traditional banh mi have a very tender and crisp crust, and a very light and tender, relatively closed crumb.
    • By quiet1
      We have a local Italian bakery my mom loves, but they are very expensive and hard for her to get to. She also really likes cookbooks (she reads them even if she never cooks from them  ) so I was thinking for her birthday I could get her a cookbook that has similar cookies and cakes, and offer to make a few things for her on request also.

I'll obviously look myself, but eGullet is always well informed about the quality of cookbooks so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The thing about the Italian bakery is that the stuff they make seems to me to be not as sweet as classic American recipes, and often have more complex flavors and also are usually on the light end for whatever the item is. (Like even something that's intended to be dense doesn't have a very heavy sensation in the mouth.)
    • By Raamo
      HOST'S NOTE: This post and those that follow were split off from the pre-release discussion of Modernist Bread.

Figured I don't need to dump all this into the contest thread - so I'll post here.  My journey to making my first MC loaf.

Her's the poolish after >12 hours:

Not pictured - water with yeast in it below the bread flour and poolish

That went into the mixer and not long later I had a shaggy mass:

That rested for a while - then mixed until medium gluten formation - a window pane that was both opaque and translucent (no picture for that slightly messy part)

Folded and rested, folded and rested, I think this is 1/2 the mass now ready to rest one final time.

Proofed it in the oven - I have a picture of that but it's just foggy window oven

Then it went into the oven, here it is at max temp - 450 with steam turned on.

Completed loaf:

\

And the crumb - this is awesome bread:

• By gibbs
      I got my copy of Eleven Madison Park: The Next-Chapter earlier this year and have enjoyed reading through it several times. 
      As a result, I have been considering getting the version published in 2011 for Christmas, however, I am not sure if it is a duplicate of the recipe book included with the next chapter set. 
      So I am wondering if somebody has access to both if they would be able to advise me whether the recipes are duplicated between the two books.
    • By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!