• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ restaurants in Oklahoma

joiei

It has been a while since I posted on eGullet. I do have some recommendations for locals and visitors alike. Some of the best bbq happening in Oklahoma right now is in the Tulsa region. Two places in particular are BurnCo BBQ and Buffalo BBQ

BurnCo BBQ is in a strip center on 11th street across the street from the Reynolds Center at Univ of Tulsa. Lunch only. Adam and Robbie open at 10:30 and there is already a line. If it is your first time I recommend th Happy Plate, a little of everything. Ribs and the sausage fatty are the

stars. Nothing is sauced the sauce is on the side on the tables. The ribs need no sauce. Everything is cooked on 8 Hasty bake grills out back there is no French fries or what have you. If you don't get there by 10:30 be prepared to wait in line. This is some of the best bbq in the whole dang state. Do not go late thinking you can get a full menu. The sell out most days. Ribs go first. Oh if they have burnt ends or Mac and cheese that gay DO NOT pass those up.

The other place that has some of the best bbq in Indian Territory is Buffalo BBQ in Sperry just north of Tulsa. Donnie Teel is the guy putting out bbq worth the drive of 20 minutes from midtown Tulsa. Donnie is a KCBS competition competitor on weekends and it shows in the quality of his bbq he serves every day. He wins a whole heck of a lot. Wednesday is smoked prime rid day. Call ahead to reserve your order.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 years later...

up date on location of BurnCo.  It is now at 18th and Boston.  And they took the 12 Hastybake grills with them.  Can you imagine a restaurant that is the best in the state in what they do that doesn't have a deep fryer but does have an inhouse butcher?  Meet me for lunch one day and I will introduce you to Adam and Robbie.  Chris, this includes you dude.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Just let me know.  Maybe just maybe we can get Chris to join us from Norman.  An Okie meetup.  Judy would be so proud.  

Edited by joiei (log)
  • Like 1

Of course.

Tuesday thru Saturdays.  Hours 10:30 till they run out of food and that has been known to be 12:30. Best to get there early, I think of it as a late breakfast or a first lunch.  THey make their own sausages, which you can purchase at their inhouse butchers counter.  They will be closed from Dec 20 - Jan 5.  

Burn Co bbq 

Chris and cyalexa, another bbq place we should check out is in Wellston, down closer to you all.  

http://www.butcherbbqstand.com/

Welliston is a little closer for me but it would be fun to try both. I staff a recipe table at the Stillwater Farmers' Market on Saturdays but it's winding down for the season; freeing me up on Saturday mornings from mid-January until mid-March. It looks like Butcher BBQ Stand has only outdoor seating. 

7 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I'm booked Saturdays until OU's spring break, but might be able to do March 12 or 19th. Is anyone else out there interested in joining us?

Great, that gives us time to plan this out.  And cyalexa we can probaby include a trip to TJ's as a part of the day.  Chris, let us know which day works for you and we will make it happen.  I know there have to be a few other Oklahomans or maybe we can interest someone from Texas or Arkansas or Missouri to join usl