• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless Steel Mesh Strainers for Kitchen Use

Shel_B

I want to get some strainers like these - maybe even these. It seems simple, but in the past, when I asked about vegetable peelers and food mills, I got plenty of good information and learned a lot about what to look for.

So, first, has anyone used these and what do you think of them?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/long-handled-mesh-strainers-set-of-3/1013280096

If not these, what other strainers should I consider? What about design aspects and features ... are there any things I should think about? Thanks!

... Shel

I have multiple sizes of these - http://www.amazon.com/CIA-Masters-Collection-4-Inch-Strainer/dp/B000HVBES4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379351878&sr=8-1&keywords=cia+strainers

I absolutely love them. They are fine enough for everything and work great with stocks (I also use a strainer cloth when straining stocks for added refinement).

If I could go back in time, I may only buy reall good chinois' in different sizes. Now I am eventually going to buy chinois' but also have my bowl strainers. That is a lot of strainers. Might want to look into chinois and be aware of the size. Some look small online but then in person are massive and impractical.

Good luck!

For whatever reason the all-metal strainers have never lasted for the long haul (35 years of marriage). We finally bought a 6" Oxo bowl strainer at Target and it has lasted.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have multiple sizes of these - http://www.amazon.com/CIA-Masters-Collection-4-Inch-Strainer/dp/B000HVBES4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379351878&sr=8-1&keywords=cia+strainers

I absolutely love them. They are fine enough for everything and work great with stocks (I also use a strainer cloth when straining stocks for added refinement).

If I could go back in time, I may only buy reall good chinois' in different sizes. Now I am eventually going to buy chinois' but also have my bowl strainers. That is a lot of strainers. Might want to look into chinois and be aware of the size. Some look small online but then in person are massive and impractical.

Thanks for your input. I saw those and was somewhat put off by the price. Why do you "love" them? The long handle rises above the bowl of the strainer, and I can imagine that trying to lay the strainer across a pot and have it sit flat may be difficult. One use of a strainer for me is to pour liquids through them into a waiting pot. Any thoughts on this design element?

I don't think I want a chinois at this point - maybe later on. Space is at a premium right now.

... Shel

For whatever reason the all-metal strainers have never lasted for the long haul (35 years of marriage). We finally bought a 6" Oxo bowl strainer at Target and it has lasted.

Do you have a link to that item? Can't seem to locate it ... maybe another description?

... Shel

My specific reason for liking this strainer, particularly regarding its lasting power, is that it cleans up way better in the dishwasher than the all-SS models I had in the past. Every though they were stainless there was something, I suspect regarding the drying cycle, where corrosion would develop where the mesh meets the frame. I have yet to see a hint of that with the Oxo. Just my experience...

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Is it stainless steel? Nothing in the description mentions that. I like that it's reinforced and that it has two hooks on the front. I imagine it would be pretty stable when resting on a pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Browne-Foodservice-9198-Medium-Strainer/dp/B000UBGE5E

I have a couple of these now and really like them.

... Shel

Thanks for your input. I saw those and was somewhat put off by the price. Why do you "love" them? The long handle rises above the bowl of the strainer, and I can imagine that trying to lay the strainer across a pot and have it sit flat may be difficult. One use of a strainer for me is to pour liquids through them into a waiting pot. Any thoughts on this design element?

I don't think I want a chinois at this point - maybe later on. Space is at a premium right now.

They are sturdy (I've actually pressed purees through them before I had a tamis and while I wouldn't recommend doing it often as eventually it would probably break, it worked great the few times I have done it.

I love the size of the mesh. It is very fine. I haven't seen a strainer with that fine of a mesh besides some chinois and my 60 mesh lab sieve. I always look when I'm at any store that carry strainers and I have yet to find one that fine. Even the all clad were not very fine. I am not sure of the size but it is probably 1mm tops (I'm at work right now so I can't measure, but I'd guess that it's even less than 1mm). Quinoa cannot get through. I find that the mesh is the most important thing I care about when choosing strainers and sieves (plus durability I guess). Putting soup through and ice cream bases always results in a great, strained, product.

The handle is comfortable and while it doesn't have hooks at the end to rest over the lip of a bowl or pot, it has an indented lip that works well. I guess that could be a negative aspect of it but it hasn't really created any problems for me. I haven't really noticed the handle keeping the strainer from laying flat on the bowl, but maybe it does. It hasn't made a difference at all though.

Yes they are expensive. I've slowly bought the smallest one for cocktails and lemon juices, etc. The middle size is useful for a lot of things and then I bought two big ones for stock and larger items/volumes. They also work great for big pot blanching as long you get the water level high enough. I don't have them in front of me but the mesh does not vary at all from large to small.

Hope this is helpful!

edit: throwing it in the dishwasher is always convenient too!

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

It looks stainless and seems to be the one to which gfweb is referring. I really like the double mesh and it's also very strong. Can't tell you how many strainers I've broken in a lifetime. Bought it at a restaurant supplier (Ontario).

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have one of these too. It is stainless and I like it lot. It is a reinforeced mesh, nice

It looks stainless and seems to be the one to which gfweb is referring. I really like the double mesh and it's also very strong. Can't tell you how many strainers I've broken in a lifetime. Bought it at a restaurant supplier (Ontario).

I went to the Browne Halco web site and discovered that there are two versions of this strainer. The one on Amazon has model number 9198, and is NOT stainless steel. However, there is a model S9198 that is stainless. Now, maybe Amazon is not showing the correct model number for what they are selling, but I'm not about to underwrite the cost of finding out. Also, at the Browne Halco site, the cost of the strainer is SUBSTANTIALLY lower - even with shipping it's lower than the Amazon price.

I'm going to get the stainless model at the Browne Halco site. Thanks for the pointer to the product.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

That looks like a really good design. Thanks for the pointers to the right source!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I like a perforated stainless steel China cap because of the large straining area and they're very easy to clean (no dishwasher here) but I'll use a mesh chinois if needed.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Today I received the strainer I ordered: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/s8198/p7109.aspx

It looks pretty good, although not exactly like the picture, but it does have the same part number, for whatever that's worth. The one I got has double hooks on the front edge, which is what I originally wanted, and a slightly different shaped handle. The reinforced, double mesh design looks like it will provide good service, although time will tell. However, the price was certainly good, the shipping price fair ... I'll let you know if there are any problems.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 7 months later...

Building your own sieve can actually be a pretty simple process, all you need is some wire mesh - www.bwire.com - and something to fold the mesh over.

As long as you are using some sturdy woven wire cloth - anything can be done!  This way you can customize exactly what you are working with - if you want larger openings - you can buy mesh with larger openings, and if you need a really big straining area - then get a bigger piece of mesh - its simple.

I always found the DIY aspect of the kitchen to be the best - and I really, especially do not buy things for my kitchen from overseas, their products are generally unreliable and almost disposable.

The BB&B ones look like a bargain. Hard to go wrong at that price.

Re: very fine strainers ... besides my fine chinois, which is used mostly for sauces, I get much more use out of a medium-mesh, cheap strainer. My regular fine-meshed strainer doesn't get used much. It's hard to get thicker purees through it and it's hard to clean.

For a very fine mesh, consider a superbag, or the much cheaper and equivalent industrial filter bags you can get online. They go as low as 20 microns (maybe even lower) and are reasonably easy to wash. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I just took delivery of three stainless strainers tonight from umamimart.  Two of the three are fine mesh.  I suspect the finest was designed for filtering powdered tea.  The third strainer, a hawthorne, is probably designed for filtering something else.  I have not yet tried them.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

How fine are your fine mesh strainers?  Can you see through them?  Any idea what size wire mesh?

Of the two I just got, one I can sort of see through and the other I pretty much cannot.  I have no idea what size mesh.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou