• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best no-sugar chocolates?

SpaghettiWestern

Found some Choco-Rite (both dark and milk, made with erythritol) today at Walgreens - in the diabetic testing area. Not exactly boxed in such a way as to seem like a nice 'gift' (sort of clinical packaging) so I will stop by TJs for sure along the road somewhere. Has anyone tried these? 

Chocrites DELICIOUS. They even have TRUFFLES on Amazon and a Chocolate Beverage

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 months later...

Any updates?  :wink:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I saw that product line (as well as others,)  some time ago, at the Netrition website....it does look promising.

I'm,  mostly,  keen on finding/creating a good, basic, homemade bar recipe/formula.

There's a promising recipe in Karen Barnaby's book "Low-Carb Gourmet" which intend to try some time some, but, alas, I know almost nothing about "real" chocolatiering.  :wacko:

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

FWIW, the ingredients in Karen Barnaby's dark chocolate bar recipe are ...pure cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate (Callebaut, Valhrona, or Scharffen Berger,) whipping cream, Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin*, sea salt, pure vanilla extract and some whey protein isolate.

A different quantity of some of the ingredients for the "milk chocolate bar" variation.

*I would be experimenting with various sweeteners in lieu of what's called for in the recipe.

I am still hunting for decent no/low sugar chocolates for that friend of mine (although I did get her some TJs bars last time I was in the south). The other day, I bought a few boxes and bags of Russell Stover ones (some filled) for her at WalGreens. I suspect there will be more about with the holidays coming. No idea how good these are and I am not going to try them though.

• 5 weeks later...

I'll just throw this out there- if anyone wants to give it a whirl.   I have a couple dear friends who are on very strict, sugar-free diets.  Neither can have refined sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc.  And, all the sugar alcohols seem annoy them something awful. Since I had used coconut sugar before for other applications and knew it was fairly healthy, I decided to see if that was something they'd be allowed to have. Turns out, it doesn't cause fluctuation in blood sugar like refined sugar, and their doctors said they are allowed to have it in small amounts.

So, to make a treat for them, I lightly roasted some almonds and let them cool. Tempered some Guittard Oban Wafers (no sugar), and panned (by hand) the almonds. While drying, I tossed the coated almonds in a mixture of cocoa powder, spices, and coconut sugar. The coconut sugar is a bit coarse, so I zizzed it to create more of a powder and then sifted the mix together. Turns out, it is a fabulous little treat that falls within their dietary restrictions.

Just a thought....

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Sugar is sugar..

It is okay for people with diabetes to use coconut palm sugar as a sweetener, but they should not treat it any differently than regular sugar. It provides just as many calories and carbohydrates as regular sugar: about 15 calories and 4 grams of carbohydrate per teaspoon. So, you still need to account for it when planning meals.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/coconut-palm-sugar.html

• Like 2

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 2 weeks later...

Do diabetics tolerate coconut sugar? Eatingevolved's coconut butter cups are bomb. They're noticeably low in sugar, but that's not a detriment. They're just food-like, savory, and satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

Sugar is sugar no matter the source.  Including all those carbs that the body transforms into sugars.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

So here we go - 400 grams cocoa mass, 1.6 grams of stevia ( working on the equivalent of a 70% cocoa bar). 

IMG_1620.jpg.8dd916903c4842333c7c12384c3

IMG_1621.jpg.4bf929066505319dd1cb0a3964a

IMG_1622.jpg.c05761c71d924d8bfbec1dabbcd

IMG_1624.jpg.01593517dfbc4ec411d382078f1

Melted, added stevia, cooled and tempered using the EZtemper. Looks like normal chocolate - tastes rather vile. Initially you get only the bitterness of unsweetened chocolate - followed way too much later by the saccharine sweetness of the stevia. So failed experiment - wonder if the organic folks at the cafe in Dunnville will go for it? I made a bunch of little samples as well. Might be worth a try.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would imagine one that is sweetened with all-natural, non-sugar Stevia would be the healthiest chocolate, since that is pretty much the only non-artificial sugar-free sweetener.

I just buy the all-natural peanut butter with the cocoa/cocoa butter added in (the sole ingredients in dark chocolate that make it healthy to consume), and snack on it by the spoonful. It is pure win, and one of the healthiest things that you can eat daily.

For healthy and tasty "chocolate milk", I just take a mixture of all-natural, unsweetened almond + coconut milk, and stir in some all-natural, cold-processed, non-sugar (Stevia) sweetened cocoa whey protein. Another pure win, healthy "chocolate" item.

Kerry, thanks for trying that experiment even if the results were not what one would hope they might be. I think, if diabetics (like my neighbour who I am always trying to find these no-sugar chocolates for) would just start slowly trying unsweetened chocolate they would come to love it and to shun anything with a sweet taste. I know I started eating small bits of 70 and then 80 then 85 and then 95% and now find that 70% is way too sweet for my tastes.

I am not diabetic but I truly cannot stand the taste of any fake sweetener or even the natural 'lo carb' ones like stevia, etc.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2