• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
TeakettleSlim

Caramel apples-- caramel now, fancification later?

We're planning to have an Apple Festoon party as part of our autumnal celebrations. The idea is that guests will come and dip/decorate their own caramel apples. We did this a few years ago and discovered some problems with the plan-- namely, the period of refrigeration between dipping and rolling it in stuff, and then again before going home with it.

This year I thought we might try dipping them in caramel ahead of time, and then having guests just roll them in stuff. Or maybe have chocolate available for dipping, if they want to wait.

But how to re-soften outside of caramel so nuts and whatnot will stick? Seems like popping them in the oven would make the caramel slide off. Hit it briefly with a hair dryer? Anyone have any ideas? There must be a way to streamline this.

So your problem is that it takes too long for the caramel to cool and solidify? If you remelt the outside, won't you have the same issues again?

Well, I was hoping there was a way to just rewarm it enough for stuff to adhere to the outside without necessarily heating it all to the temperature it is when initially dipped.

You could try hitting them with a blowtorch, carefully. That said, you'd want to be the one doing it and lock the torch up when not in use.

Another idea might be to dip them and refrigerate, then have some warm caramel in a plastic squirt bottle (think mustard and ketchup picnic bottles) sitting in a pan of simmering water. Drizzle on the extra caramel then roll. It won't give 100% coverage, but, it should work.

You can do it with the chocolate, but, you'll want to monitor the temperature carefully so it doesn't go out of temper.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By thepastryincident
      This recipe is a great starter for people getting used to working with chocolate. I use Abuelita Mexican chocolate to add a bit of spice and crunchy. Super delicious and easy to make. 

http://www.thepastryincident.com/hotcocoatruffles.html

Xoxo
      The Pastry Incident

• By CCB
      I used my homemade toffee in a cookie recipe hoping that the toffee will add a crunch to the cookie... it didn't turn out well as the toffee melted and didn't keep its hardened crunch form. How can I prevent my toffee from melting in my cookie recipe?
    • By anonymouse
      I've been working with the Boiron purée recipe tables (chocolate and PdF, ice cream) - some good successes.  However the document is very terse and I wondered whether anyone who is experienced with these formulae might clarify what the expected result is:

- "Fruit ganaches" and "Fruit and caramel ganaches".  I think these are supposed to produce a ganache for cutting and enrobing, although when I tried it came out far too soft to be dipped???

- "Ganaches to be combined with fruit pastes" - I think these are to be layered above PdF and enrobed - is that right?

- "Chocolate molded sweets" - Are these intended to be served as is, ie moulded without a layer of couverture going into the mould first? However the instructions talk about pouring into a frame.

- "Fruity delight" - looks like a fairly light dessert to go into a parfait glass.  Has anyone done these and how do they turn out?  How do they compare to the sabayon-based ones in the Boiron ice cream book?

I'm going to start working through some of the ice creams next week and it will be interesting to see how these turn out.

Thanks for any advice.

• By danielle_j
      Hello and Happy Holidays!  I own an ice cream company and am looking for some information about equipment to use for scaling large batches of caramel.  Right now, we cook sugar over electric heat in an approx. 6 qt. stainless steel pot.  Once the caramel is at the correct color and temp (more on that below), we add our dairy to the hot mixture.  Obviously, this is not a viable option for producing large batches.

I'm familiar with confectionary equipment from Savage, but don't have the budget for an automated piece.  Does anyone have experience with using just one of their copper or stainless steel kettles over a regular sized burner on electric heat? We've tried to use a single larger flat bottom pot sitting in the middle of all 4 burners on the stove to make a large batch of caramel, but it doesn't heat evenly.  I'm wondering if the rounded bottom of the kettle helps the entire pot cook evenly -- would we be able to set the kettle right on the burner; or, have to use it in a double boiler setting?

Additionally, any recommendations for thermometers that work well with caramel would be welcomed.  We've used digital probes and candy thermometers, but on numerous occasions, the color and smell of the caramel that we associate with "doneness" is a dramatically different temperature for each batch.

I came across a similar post on this topic from 2016, but aside from a recommendation for a large piece of equipment from Savage, there wasn't any other feedback.  Hoping to get some good input that will bridge the gap between extremely small batches and mass production.
    • By Paul Bacino
      I want to make some candied mint leaves for a dessert. Would you blanch them first to set the color ? Dry them, coat in egg wash. Coat with confectioners sugar or super
      fine sugar ? Dry in oven at a low temp or on the counter? How long will they last?
      I will be serving this with a lemon panna cotta with a blueberry or blk berry sauce.
      Paul