• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you have a drink that Smokes? Participate in this month's Mixol

elanabean

For this month's Mixology Monday, we are focusing on SMOKE as a theme:

They say where there’s smoke, there’s fire– it isn’t necessarily true if we’re down to the smoldering embers, but, well, they say it anyway. In our case, where there was fire, now there’s smoke, and it’s time to stoke your enthusiasm for the next challenge. Smoke has been everywhere this past year… For me, smoke is also a transitional element: it symbolizes the last summer bonfires, sitting around the fire pit making s’mores, and the start of the fragrant crackles from the fireplace announcing that fall is coming. For September’s theme, I’d like to see how you interpret smoke. With your liquor or ingredients? Your glassware? Will you whip out a chemistry set to transform your cocktail into ghostly vapors? Do you own a home smoker, still in the box, that’s never been used? Well then, you’re welcome. Unpack those ideas and let’s set off a couple smoke alarms this month for MxMo.

If you would like to participate and don't have a blog or website, you can post on this thread. If you do, here's the full post for instructions!

Hope you can join us!

• 3 weeks later...

Elana posted the roundup for this month's challenge on her blog.

After making a few excellent things with Laphroaig last week, I could not resist trying Fred Yarm's entry, the Copper Creel (Laphroaig, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, curaçao, Drambuie). Smoky with a slightly metallic taste, orange and honey.

10011655814_61a80c4bcd_z.jpg