• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keith_W

Food funnies

Thank you, @liuzhou. That is a great "Useless information" post.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Found on FB:

image.png.f7a638de4783fe205851719ae01f1bf0.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My GF actually sent me that one, because it made a nice intersection with my existing interest in rocketry and space exploration. My best friend since childhood is actually in aerospace, and played a significant role in the current OSIRIS-REx mission.

• Like 3

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well, it's not a successful mission until they've actually taken their samples and brought 'em back to earth. But yeah, getting there is - as they say - half the fun. Or the stress, if you're in the telemetry, navigation and guidance systems end of things (he is).

From my refrigerator filter cartridge package so still food related!

95BB27BE-C9AE-4F89-8BD6-39B736B873CC.thumb.jpeg.c6e69dfb1d0ce6b31186092beab9d687.jpeg

Let’s not mince words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I dunno, I've changed enough diapers to believe that a filter cartridge might just be an excellent idea. :P

• Haha 3

Balaclava is a renowned British beverage commemorating the Crimean War Battle of Balaclava.  Or rather one of two different beverages commemorating the Crimean War Battle of Balaclava.  More than once I have enjoyed balaclava for dessert.  When I don't have to get up the next day.

In truth given the choice following my dinner I would prefer a well made balaclava to any baklava.  Thin Red Line and all of that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sent to me from Facebook

37E9DFB8-F042-40C0-8492-9EBF266688CA.thumb.jpeg.7ed59d547c82fe03e36c45c4b81fe49f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.png.f8225b4cf07346e8108bd7e390a0a830.png

• Haha 7

I think  @Kerry Beal and I ought to be able to lay claim to this one: Squid pro quo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Sherman's Lagoon had one of my favorite food-related strips, which alas I can't find online.

Sherman asks Ernest (IIRC), "Have you ever eaten something you haven't tasted in years, and it just brings back all kinds of memories you've forgotten?"
Ernest: "It's a well-known phenomenon. In fact the great French novelist, Marcel Proust, wrote a whole series of novels about it."
Sherman, incredulous: "Boogers?"

• Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, MelissaH said:

I'm not sure whether to be amused, sad, or horrified!

reminds me of the Great Molasses Flood of Boston....

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, dcarch said:

It has been a while since i posted a cartoon.

dcarch1839413864_squidswissarmyknife.thumb.JPG.b219e832410c29e8967826c1c86de3dc.JPG

WOW!  John would love that......especially if there were a leatherman incorporated as well.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's half an hour long, but the first seven of so minutes are definitely food related and there are sporadic references thereafter. Michael Crawford as Frank Spencer, one of British comedy's classics. Pure slapstick.

NB. He never used stuntmen. All his stunts he did himself.

This is only marginally food-related but the number of puns in this LA Times report entertained me: CHP nabs motorist who hatched plan to avoid tolls using sticker from chicken wing package

A motorist ran afoul of the law this week when he used a sticker from a pound of teriyaki chicken wings he had purchased at Safeway to cover his license plate to avoid paying a freeway toll in Marin County, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The tricky move was enough to ruffle some feathers at the CHP, which posted photos of the sticker on the license plate to its Facebook page, saying the incident falls in the “we couldn’t even make this up” category.

• Haha 4