Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Keith_W

Food funnies

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

 

I'm sure you were referring to today's comic. However, the generic xkcd link brings up only the current one. You need to append the comic's sequential number to make it a permanent link -- like this: http://xkcd.com/1774/ -- this info is just below the Previous, Random, and Next buttons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about groan-worthy company names or advertising slogans?

 

One of my personal favourites comes from Bernardin, a Canadian manufacturer of Mason jars and related accessories. Their slogan? 

 

"Because you can."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While looking at cookbooks in thrift stores this week a most bizarre fictional title came to mind: The Cannibal's Treasury of Recipes - Good Eating From Head to Toe.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Porthos said:

While looking at cookbooks in thrift stores this week a most bizarre fictional title came to mind: The Cannibal's Treasury of Recipes - Good Eating From Head to Toe.

 

On that subject, I've occasionally mused that a humanitarian sounds like a very specialised type of carnivore.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over in the Kitchen Gadgets thread, @Anna N shared a gadget that enables one to make hot dog-shaped burgers.  I got a greater chuckle from the "Customers .....also bought" items, which led me to a whole line of bacon-related products:

Bacon Body Washir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00GBPB9U

Bacon-flavored Toothpasteir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B004MBNK5

Bacon dental flossir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001BYO4I (waxed, though one might think that unnecessary for bacon!)

Bacon bandaidsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B000SSV8A (sterile, no less :D)

Bacon lip balmir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002SIFQU

 

The products are also helpfully combined into:

Deluxe bacon grooming kitir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00G2GSS4

Extreme bacon grooming kitir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00GSY0TW

and others!

 

Edited to add, I don't think this is new and has probably been cited here before but it did give me a good chuckle so I figured I could share again.


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Over in the Kitchen Gadgets thread, @Anna N shared a gadget that enables one to make hot dog-shaped burgers.  I got a greater chuckle from the "Customers .....also bought" items, which led me to a whole line of bacon-related products:

Bacon Body Washir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00GBPB9U

Bacon-flavored Toothpasteir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B004MBNK5

Bacon dental flossir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B001BYO4I (waxed, though one might think that unnecessary for bacon!)

Bacon bandaidsir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B000SSV8A (sterile, no less :D)

Bacon lip balmir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B002SIFQU

 

The products are also helpfully combined into:

Deluxe bacon grooming kitir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00G2GSS4

Extreme bacon grooming kitir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00GSY0TW

and others!

 

Edited to add, I don't think this is new and has probably been cited here before but it did give me a good chuckle so I figured I could share again.

 

Words fail me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst part of finding all that bacon stuff is that yesterday was my bacon-loving brother's birthday.  If only I'd seen it a few days earlier!  Oh well, there's always next year.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R.I.P. Jack Ziegler, long-time cartoonist for The New Yorker. Here's one of his food-related cartoons, one with which I strongly identify.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alex said:

R.I.P. Jack Ziegler, long-time cartoonist for The New Yorker. Here's one of his food-related cartoons, one with which I strongly identify.

LOL In Calais, ME, there is a hotel restaurant called "Ceasar's," and it raises my hackles every time I drive past it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This  doesn't pretend to be serious just yet. But heating/cooking your dinner in the washing machine while doing a load of "smalls"?  Hmmm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a serious recipe for foil sealed salmon cooked in an empty dishwasher, and I actually knew a couple who did this for a dinner party, and they reported good results. I think this was somewhere around 1999 before sou vide took off for home cooks.

 

I fell down a rabbit hole over on the Responses to Guest Reviews thread where Kerry linked to an Eater article where a restaurateur responds civilly and quite logically to a diner's bad review on Yelp about changing their take-out policy, and wound up here and at this link

 

Don't click on the links if you seriously want to learn anything about cooking except how not to do it. I did find them amusing, though. :D Fried mozza sticks that look perfectly normal but aren't. Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dishwasher salmon came from a show called "The Surreal Gourmet," which ran on Food TV Canada back in the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The dishwasher salmon came from a show called "The Surreal Gourmet," which ran on Food TV Canada back in the day. 

 

Might be, but these folks were software developers who lived in Washington, DC area, and at that time, I doubt they had access to Food TV Canada. Everyone was on the internet by then, so it could have spread that way. Is this the guy you're talking about? My friends prepared a whole salmon in an empty dishwasher with no soap. They double sealed it in heavy duty aluminum foil. This linked video depicts an individual portion put in a dishwasher with dirty dishes and, presumably, soap. I remember reading a recipe a while ago that said to run the dishwasher through a cycle first to clean out soap residue and preheat it, then add your sealed packet of salmon and run it without soap.

 

Seems to be popular for the novelty element, especially when everyone is drinking, but I've never done it.

 

The scary thing is that on that link there are other videos dealing with dishwasher cooked lasagna and chicken. :o I did not fall down that rabbit hole, because to me, part of the appeal of lasagna is the nature that only dry heat can bring out and I don't think the dishwasher can achieve high enough temps to cook chix to a safe temp. Funny that people play with these ideas, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

There is a serious recipe for foil sealed salmon cooked in an empty dishwasher

 

There are several.Here is but one - scroll down a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

 

Might be, but these folks were software developers who lived in Washington, DC area, and at that time, I doubt they had access to Food TV Canada. Everyone was on the internet by then, so it could have spread that way. Is this the guy you're talking about?

Yeah, that's him. IIRC he was a record producer or something, when he wasn't hauling his toastermobile around the countryside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chromedome said:

The dishwasher salmon came from a show called "The Surreal Gourmet," which ran on Food TV Canada back in the day. 

Dishwasher salmon was around long before the Surreal Gourmet. I recall my folks doing it for a dinner party when I was a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×