• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

On 1/12/2020 at 7:30 AM, lindag said:

It's the blonde joke come to life.

And she gets the last laugh. On social media, I saw Popeye's Chicken, the restaurant chain, is giving her $10,000 worth of Popeye's chicken over the next year.:B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

17 hours ago, chefmd said:

I did this this morning, on my way back from taking the dog to the groomer. One should never grocery shop before breakfast.

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:05 PM, liuzhou said:

Lowes.png

I'm currently reading Monisha Bharadwaj's The Indian Cooking Course.  In her discussion of karahis (the Indian cooking vessel) Bharadwaj describes having seen karahis that can "hold 5-6 people".  I believe she means this literally.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.thumb.png.a6e69fcbd28c3da89a0a7bf43b49c358.png

• Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If that is somebody's idea of progress, Lord help us all! If it was something that could actually print out and make the different kinds of cheeses I would put my order in tomorrow for two of them

That's a gag gift box.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

“Trained scientists could parse Cooking with Paris for traces of self-awareness and come up none the wiser.”

I got as far as the Slivers but I couldn’t go any further. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We can laugh at Paris Hilton all we want. She is laughing all the way to the bank.

She earns $10 Million dollars every year. In addition, she raises hundreds thousands of $$$$ for children's causes.

P.H. salad dressing, P.H. frying pans, P.H. cook books ------------------- $$$$$$$$

P.H. kitchen gloves? P.H. high heels for the kitchen? People will buy anything.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

Based on personal experience, I'm not sure if this is funny, or tragic, or both!-

"Our special today is Olive Oil Poached Halibut on a Bed of Tagliatelle with an Orange-Arugula Salad." "That sounds good, I'll have the special." "I'm so sorry sir, but we're out of the special." "But if it's special, and you just opened, why did you offer me the special?"

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I fear this will be behind a paywall for non-subscribers, but I recommend this funny article by J.J. Goode in today's Washington Post:  As a cookbook writer, I just knew my children would be good eaters. Then they were born.

It's a funny essay about high expectations and low capitulation. Here's a small sample:

At some point, his rejection of my cooking became so inexorable that I considered skipping the ceremony of serving him food altogether. If I instead removed the plate from the microwave and dumped its contents directly into the trash, then maybe my wife and I could get him to bed 15 minutes earlier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown