• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, but the defence isn't very funny.

Sorry.  I didn't bother to read it.  Pumpkin spice is not any part of my life, except if I were to make a pumpkin pie.  Our dogs have canned pumpkin every now and then but without spice of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It reminds me a little bit of a sign I saw in a butcher shop here in Costa Rica. Bistek de cerdo. Translation, pork beef steak. And trying to explain the absurdity of it to the butcher was like trying to explain it to the animal that it came from.

I'm fairly sure your butcher must have a distant cousin here in China.  I see aburdities like this so often.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/2/2019 at 5:28 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

Wow, does that ever bring back memories! My mother-in-law was, without any doubt, the world's worst cook. When her refrigerator got full she would pull everything out, dump it in a pot, cover it with water and boil it for about an hour. That was soup for 3 or 4 days depending on how many leftovers she had. My father-in-law ate at our house whenever he could.

That brought to mind Ruth Reichl's mother's "Everything Stew"  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/may/12/foodanddrink.shopping3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

That brought to mind Ruth Reichl's mother's "Everything Stew"  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/may/12/foodanddrink.shopping3

A really great article. Thank you, I enjoyed that. I won't say that my mother-in-law's food was actually dangerous but it certainly was stomach-turning. Another of her favorite tricks was to save bacon grease in great big tins in her pantry and that was what she used to make pies, cookies and cakes. Everyone that knew her was either on a diet or too full when they got to her house to eat  any kind of sweet.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Punctuation (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have no idea where this is, it just showed up on my Facebook page. But wherever or whatever it is, I think I'll pass.

FB_IMG_1567706471136.jpg

Someone Photoshopped the "butter flavor" variety for an easy joke. That's the Loblaw "No Name" brand, sold in our largest grocery store chain, and I can assure you that the label has been tampered with.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Someone Photoshopped the "butter flavor" variety for an easy joke. That's the Loblaw "No Name" brand, sold in our largest grocery store chain, and I can assure you that the label has been tampered with.

Thank God, I thought that it might be something that came from Costa Rica.

Re: everything stew. Mama used to keep a half-gallon container in the freezer in which would go odds and ends of veggies left over from dinner. When the bucket got full, it was time for vegetable soup. 

I cheat. I make vegetable soup with leftovers from pot roast, and add a bag of frozen mixed veggies.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.png.b3a834c9a81df094331e5d74efda2c09.png

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.png.4345859672c2f52554505a29ba6773c9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, demiglace said:
From Twitter
my 3 year old kept saying she “wants a spirit guest & needs a spirit guest” and “has a spirit guest” and like 4 exorcisms later, i realized she was just talking about asparagus.

Better than my son's 'sparrow juice'.

• Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Good grief...I just got spammed by Foodnetwork.ca, offering me a recipe for "No-Bake Pumpkin Spice Latte Pretzel Pie." I can't help thinking this is the best place for that kind of communication. :P

Seriously, do they have an algorithm that aggregates fads and popular ingredients out of Google Zeitgeist, and then sends the results to somebody to cobble into a recipe?

• Haha 5