• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

10 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

At least the commenter liked the result. I'm always equally amused and irritated when a commenter changes *everything* in a recipe, then gives it one star 'cause it didn't turn out properly. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

29 minutes ago, chromedome said:

At least the commenter liked the result. I'm always equally amused and irritated when a commenter changes *everything* in a recipe, then gives it one star 'cause it didn't turn out properly. 

Me too, 

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Something similar happened to me once at Costco.  I was waiting at the check out line and the woman behind me pointed to the case of wine in my cart and said, "Is that wine good"?  Feeling particularly cranky at the moment, I said, "No, I take it home and pour it down the drain".  I mean DUH!

I shouldn't have said that but I did..

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Haha 6

I went to Walmart to get jumbo eggs and I was able to get the only 2 packs of unbroken jumbos. I went to check out and three 20 yr olds were in front of me arguing over who was gonna put their groceries on whose Access card, I was thinking, "These mofos better not come to blows right here and break my Jumbo eggs, ill beat em up with my purse."

Luckily they didnt fight.

Do not F*** with my Jumbo eggs!

• Haha 6

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

*Making mental note to steer clear of the egg section when GR is there

Excellent, Shelby.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Misplaced Modifier strikes again! From the website of Fiamma Wood Fired Pizza in Westfield, NJ (bonus: amusing misspelling):

Feel free to bring your own alcohol to compliment our high quality menu which can be served chilled in an ice-cooler at request.

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

This wasn't meant to be funny. It's a genuine health notice from France, 1954.

For the non-Francophones, it says

I'll do my best.

What about the rhum?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I laughed pretty hard last year when I came across a food blogger who breathlessly described the pink Himalayan salt as "the purest you can buy," and then in the very next sentence went on to extoll the healthful qualities of its many trace minerals - otherwise known as impurities. Honestly, some of those people...

...and yeah, I do occasionally come across references to "freshly-ground" salt in recipes from food bloggers. 'Cause those million year-old crystals just aren't the same when you crush them up ahead of time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

From the late, great Dave Allen.

He was my favorite Comedian. People were scandalized that I would let my grandson watch him beginning when he was only 5. He loved Dave Allen so much that I just couldn't help it. to this day, He remembers all the skits and we laugh at them together all over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1