• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

The husband-proof grocery list 

Here.

It's not just husbands who need a grocery list such as this. I speak from experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Here.

It's not just husbands who need a grocery list such as this. I speak from experience. 

That's a hoot.  I would add one thing.  I would includes a drawing of what two looks like II and what 4 looks like IIII so that when I ask for 2 smoked picnic shoulder as I did last week, he doesn't come home with four.

That still wouldn't work with my son-in-law. His M.O. is to just shrug and fill the cart with stuff he likes (and they can't afford) and then say "I couldn't find the things that were on the list."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Here.

Amusing, but certainly not new. Here is one by the artist Michelangelo (1475-1564) for his semi-literate servant.

Picture1.thumb.jpg.fccc52b0fe19bb7d3fbee4ab6c2451a0.jpg

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

You're On Fire -- They Might Be Giants' more-than-worthy successor to Peter Gabriel's classic dancing chickens.

(Anyone else here a TMBG fan?)

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

How to resist a band that writes lines like "say I'm the only bee in your bonnet"?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

How to resist a band that writes lines like "say I'm the only bee in your bonnet"?

Or "Triangle man, Triangle man/Triangle man hates particle man/They have a fight, Triangle wins/Triangle man"

Or "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Here's what they look (and sound) like: NPR Tiny Desk Concert   At the Kennedy Center 

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Today's Foxtrot: PIZZA as an acronym

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Today's Foxtrot: PIZZA as an acronym

So, I wonder what S.T.E.A.K and L.O.B.S.T.E.R stands for!

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

So, I wonder what S.T.E.A.K and L.O.B.S.T.E.R stands for!

Steamed Tofu, Eggplant, And Kale

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Side salad

• Like 1

I think this is legitimate for our thread, since it addresses at least the "drink" side of food and drink...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/drunk-man-arrested-claims-he-time-travelled-to-warn-of-aliens-1.3619979

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One more for everyone's delectation: 

Authentic Chicken Parmigiana

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

One more for everyone's delectation: 

Authentic Chicken Parmigiana

Cute. I liked the "Alternate Ending."

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

I think this is legitimate for our thread, since it addresses at least the "drink" side of food and drink...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/drunk-man-arrested-claims-he-time-travelled-to-warn-of-aliens-1.3619979

I'll see your aliens and raise you one wombat.

Mr Stringer said alcohol had played a big part in Cradock's life. However, defence lawyer Michael Vesty said alcohol was not a problem that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/5/2017 at 2:30 PM, Alex said:

Side salad

Complete with terrible looking slices of styromate and brown lettuce. I guess it's funny in a way, but not if you're the paying customer who receives this pathetic excuse for a salad. Wish they had said where it was from so people would know to eat somewhere else. :) Or maybe they just concocted it for amusement?

> ^ . . ^ <

43 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Complete with terrible looking slices of styromate and brown lettuce. I guess it's funny in a way, but not if you're the paying customer who receives this pathetic excuse for a salad. Wish they had said where it was from so people would know to eat somewhere else. :) Or maybe they just concocted it for amusement?

You do realise that The Onion is a satire site?

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

You do realise that The Onion is a satire site?

TftC is in good company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Zucchini: Is there anything it can't do?

A German man feared a monster courgette he found in his garden was an unexploded World War Two bomb and called the police.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4