• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramen Burgers

Shelby

Anyone tried one? Are the noodles crunchy on the outside, but soft in the middle? It looks terribly messy.

I live in the sticks, so I won't be eating one unless I make one myself.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-ramen-burger-la-first-taste-20130907,0,5235977.story

Edited by Shelby (log)

A guy I work with was talking about this and has decided to play with the idea at home. Supposedly, today he's going to do the same thing but use Kraft Dinner instead of ramen. He says he's going to do them up to munch on while watching football today. I'm waiting for it to show up on Facebook. I don't see me trying either one but, if I did, I'd definitely go with the ramen over the KD.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You might as well try it. If you're anything like me, if it's got this much hold on your mind, you won't be happy until you do. At least it's not an expensive experiment. I might even talk myself into it just for fun. Minus the egg. I don't like egg on my burger. That recipe you linked is going to be a large version though, most of the homemade versions I've read about only use one pack of the noodles for the "bun".

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I did, in fact, make these last night, but due to some aesthetic issues ( they looked awful!), I chose not to take photos. I'm working on the method even as we speak, and as soon as I make them look the way I want them, You'll all see them!

I used beef noodles for the bun, and a beef and pork mixture for the patty. I also topped it with a bok choy/ yellow pepper slaw.

My biggest issue was simply sizing. The "buns" looked and tasted great, and I have to admit, I found the texture to be exceptional. I'll be using this process a lot, I think. While my burgers looked great on a regular bun, they were a bit small for the ramen disks that I made.

My second attempt will nail it, hopefully.

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Did you use egg for binding?

I can't wait to see your perfected burger :)

I did use eggs to bind things, but ironically they were more useful as a lubricant lol. After cooking and seasoning my noodles, they tried to seize up on me, but after the addition of the eggs, they loosened right up. I had to use a small bowl for molding purposes, so the "buns" came out larger than I wanted them, and also quite a bit thinner than they should've been, which I plan to rectify today with the purchase of something appropriately sized. I also par-froze the "buns", to minimize any unraveling of the noodles, which turned out to be a non-issue.

After my initial go at this, I can actually see doing this in a stick form, with a log-shaped burger, wrapped in noodles, then lightly pan fried until crispy.

I'll keep you informed of any developments...

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

You shouldn't need eggs. Just cook the noodles, drain, don't rinse, and place in oiled ring molds to cool. Then cook them in the ring molds and unmold them. They should be perfect.

I thought the same, but un-egged, the noodles go from slippery to gluey before you can say "holy shit, all my noodles are glued together" lol

Omit the egg if you like, but I rather liked the texture that they imparted.

• Like 1

Put the semi hydrated noodles (drained) in a colander and pour the eggs over top, let drain a little bit, then fry in a pan then bake till fully set

Perhaps you omitted some crucial step in your method...they need to be mixed, I think.

You shouldn't need eggs. Just cook the noodles, drain, don't rinse, and place in oiled ring molds to cool. Then cook them in the ring molds and unmold them. They should be perfect.

I thought the same, but un-egged, the noodles go from slippery to gluey before you can say "holy shit, all my noodles are glued together" lol

You are making a noodle cake, you want it to stick together. If you add egg you are making a spaghetti frittata, which is great, but it doesn't seem do be the goal of a noodle hamburger bun. The egg doesn't seem to serve any purpose in this, really, unless it is for flavor. The whole thing seems kind of unseemly, in my opinion.

Edited by sigma (log)

David Hensley, on 09 Sept 2013 - 22:28, said:

GlorifiedRice, on 09 Sept 2013 - 21:29, said:

Put the semi hydrated noodles (drained) in a colander and pour the eggs over top, let drain a little bit, then fry in a pan then bake till fully set

Perhaps you omitted some crucial step in your method...they need to be mixed, I think.

Nope Ive made them 4 times, always perfect. Mixing it makes the noodles lose their shape, the trick isnt to have it be an omelet, but just a binder.

You can use Maruchan square ramen and just soak it in hot water to slightly rehydrate then carefully put into a colander to drain, then coat with egg while still in the colander. If you mix it the shape is messed up

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

sigma, on 09 Sept 2013 - 22:56, said:

David Hensley, on 09 Sept 2013 - 17:02, said:

sigma, on 09 Sept 2013 - 14:23, said:

Except it falls apart if you pick it up

You are making a noodle cake, you want it to stick together. If you add egg you are making a spaghetti frittata, which is great, but it doesn't seem do be the goal of a noodle hamburger bun. The egg doesn't seem to serve any purpose in this, really, unless it is for flavor. The whole thing seems kind of unseemly, in my opinion.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Paul Bacino, on 10 Sept 2013 - 08:01, said:

I keep waiting for some type of picture?

Cheers

Paul

Here I made a bun just now for YOU

http://i.imgur.com/dPtpbG2.jpg

Does it look like a Frittata?

No, cause thats why you pour the egg over the ramen in a colander and let the excess drip off, then fry on both sides and finish in the oven

http://i.imgur.com/3LbRjac.jpg

• Like 3

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I have no intention of making this thing, but am enjoying your efforts, all!

These "buns" look like rice cakes. I'm still wondering how a ramen burger can be eaten without a knife and fork and a plate, of course.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I have no intention of making this thing, but am enjoying your efforts, all!

These "buns" look like rice cakes. I'm still wondering how a ramen burger can be eaten without a knife and fork and a plate, of course.

Cause its flexible, and soft...like bread

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

So heres my instructions:

1) Boil some water

2) put a block of Ramen in a bowl and pour the water over it to submerge

3) poke at the top till you can feel its softening

4) drain it gently in a strainer or colander, discard water

5) without removing the ramen from the strainer pour whipped eggs or eggbeaters over the block trying to get all nooks and cranies

6) let the eggs drain for 30 secs

7) fry in a hot pan gently on both sides

8) bake for 10 mins at 350 to cook thru...trim up the square edges if you like

9) slice in half, put a burger on one side then sweet soy glaze and scallions, top with the other half and eat

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!