• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best bread in town ?

I bought a loaf at the Dahlia Bakery yesterday -tiny, expensive and delicious. I really love their house loaf - you can really taste the wheatiness of the flour, but $3 for what is basically a large roll is ridiculous. I like Le Fournil's baguettes, but they don't blow me away. Amazing value for money though. The La Brea bread you get around town isn't bad, I suppose, but it also doesn't knock my socks off.

So whose bread do you like best ?

- S

I don't know where they get it, but I really like the bread they serve at Brasa. Really chewy with a nice crust that isn't too thick. Anybody know if they bake it themselves?

Interestingly enough, I was told that Brasa gets their bread from the Dahlia Bakery mentioned above. :smile:

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

The bread they serve at Tango is SOOO good! It has cornmeal in it. It has more of a cake-like texture than the more chewy, sourdough type one normally sees around here. Next time, I will ask where they get it.

I also love the Sicilian flatbread from Macrina. It's heavy on the olive oil and rosemary.

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I vote for Panzanella at 12th and Union. Great chewy Italian style bread....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Hey, there's more to this board then Seattle... in my town, nobody beats Ken's Artisan Bakery. He doesn't mess around much with frou frou ingredients that can hide mistakes. A close second is Grand Central which is in Seattle too. I like it that you can buy a really good loaf of bread at the grocery store. Lot's of people here love Pearl but I'm not one of their fans. Lately, we think our house has the best bread in town.

regards,

trillium

Lot's of people here love Pearl but I'm not one of their fans.  

I had some of the Pearl bakery's baguette a while ago, and thought it was phenomenal. Certainly the best baguette I've eaten.

As for home made bread - yup, I've been doing some of that too, but as much as I love it, I don't have the energy to maintain a sourdough starter. Bigas etc I don't mind, but sourdough - too much work !

- S

• 3 weeks later...