• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

dcarch

Brisket or Corned Beef after the SV is a marvel to behold and eat. esp. if you then smoke it a little.

other wise, :blink:

You often hear people say, "I made brisket, and it was falling apart tender". To me falling apart is not really tender, you still have to slice thin across grain to make it chewable.

Sous vide, really low and really slow, can in fact make the meat fiber tender, and you don't have to slice across the grain to make it chewable.

I did a side by side test. Sous vided corned beef had 5% less shrinkage, which means juicier and more tender meat, and it also means the meat is 5% cheaper.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

conventionally, those "traditionally cooked" fibers were dried and saved for shoe laces.

no one admits this but its true! but its handed down generation to generation. they last forever it seems as nothing alive would eat them.

:huh:

what temps do you SV CB and B?

my notes on the CB suggest 142.5 ( ie less than 145 my first attempt, but more than 140 ) 24 hrs then smoke 1 - 2 hrs at 130.

I now look forward to St.P's day sales and hope to have a shelve or 2 empty in the freezer for the Output.

Edited by rotuts (log)

conventionally, those "traditionally cooked" fibers were dried and saved for shoe laces.

no one admits this but its true! but its handed down generation to generation. they last forever it seems as nothing alive would eat them.

:huh:

what temps do you SV CB and B?

my notes on the CB suggest 142.5 ( ie less than 145 my first attempt, but more than 140 ) 24 hrs then smoke 1 - 2 hrs at 130.

I now look forward to St.P's day sales and hope to have a shelve or 2 empty in the freezer for the Output.

As I remember, CB 135F, B 131F.

Yes, I have a special smoker, which has an ultrasonic humidifier. I can smoke at low temperature for a long long time without having the meat turn to jerky.

dcarch

Shana tova! Just wondering about the gribenes. . did you leave them chunky or grind them up? (From the picture I'd guess they were ground in there. . but the texture of chunkier pieces could be good.)

We made about 80 pounds of chopped liver this year, but it was not so fancy. :wink:

Shana tova! Just wondering about the gribenes. . did you leave them chunky or grind them up? (From the picture I'd guess they were ground in there. . but the texture of chunkier pieces could be good.)

We made about 80 pounds of chopped liver this year, but it was not so fancy. :wink:

Hi, I used the gribenes kind of chunky like bacon bits to sprinkle on top. I put the gribenes and the coffee grinder in the freeze to help make it crispier and easier to chop to small bits.

Wow, 80 lbs!

dcarch