• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Char Broil Oil-less Big Easy Fryer

Dejah

For naan, I am working with a potter friend to make a "bib" to hang against the liner. The bib will have to be porous and un-glazed, of a special type of clay that will withstand high heat. I imagine it will be similar to a pizza stone except it will be curved to fit snug against the liner.

Yeah...I am an addict and I need a 12-step BEA program...

Deb - how about something like one of these if the size were right?

http://superiorclay.com/flue-liners.php

Kerry: Good idea! Will check the dimensions, talk with my potter friend and another friend who's also experimenting with his BE.. Might save a lot of messing about.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Need work on the temp control to produce crispier skin without drying out the meat. The results today had the right flavour, aroma, and texture, but I DO love crispy skin on Cantonese BBQ duck. :wub:

CantoneseBBQDuck1150.jpg

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night, I tried to replicate the kampung style of little fried fish we loved while visiting friends in Malaysia last spring. Instead of frying in about an inch of oil, I cooked these in The Big Easy.

My friend said they were a kind of mackerel, and I found "horse mackerel" in the Chinese grocery store. The fishies were rubbed with salt, turmeric, and a drizzle of olive oil. I strung them onto a skewer and cooked them for about 30 minutes on high.

We enjoyed the mackerel and wished we had the climate and the surroundings as well. The "sides" were leftover curry chicken from the weekend, blanched and sauteed gai lan, and jasmine rice.

However, I found the mackerel a bit fishy. These were frozen ones. I thought the turmeric would have solved that problem. The squeezes of lime helped. Any suggestions?

HorseMackerel1156.jpg

KampongMackerel&Chicken1160.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

everything is getting better and better.

would you be able to pull that duck out when it was 90 % done and add a glaze than pop it back in for that sort of thing?

The duck was blanched in honeyed water before I filled the cavity with brown bean sauce mixture. The honeyed water is what promotes the lovely colour. I think the shortfall on the "rendering and crisping up" of the skin was caused by not hanging the duck to air dry longer, and the too low cooking temp. Found 2 more ducks in the depths of my freezer, so there will be more experiments.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

would you be able to pull that duck out when it was 90 % done and add a glaze than pop it back in for that sort of thing?

The duck was blanched in honeyed water before I filled the cavity with brown bean sauce mixture. The honeyed water is what promotes the lovely colour. I think the shortfall on the "rendering and crisping up" of the skin was caused by not hanging the duck to air dry longer, and the too low cooking temp. Found 2 more ducks in the depths of my freezer, so there will be more experiments.

Dejah,

How are you able to control the temperature?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dejah,

How are you able to control the temperature?

Ann: It works the same way as a propane BBQ. Doesn't have a temperature gauge as it were, but I should just crank it up. The friend who introduced me to this baby is going to "enlarge" the holes and see if he can raise the temp. up even more! Not sure how I feel about that;-)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 weeks later...

Does it use propane at a similar rate as a BBQ or do you find yourself using it at a faster rate? Thanks. Anna

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

They also make a very similar unit to this that uses electricity instead of propane. It has 15 different temperature settings as well as a temperature probe you can put into the meat you are cooking so it was shut off when it reaches the correct temperature! It also has a smoker box built in so you can put in chips or pellets for smoking.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

So Kerry and I brought a Big Easy with us to Manitoulin Island. Enjoy our Excellent Adventures over here

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145862-excellent-adventures-on-manitoulin-continued/?p=1935972

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Hurray for Kerry and Anna! Hope you'll enjoy the Big Easy as much as I do.

Our temps have been around 10 C when I usually put protein into my Big Easy. So far, it's been about 75 minutes for a 3 lb. chicken at full heat. It'll be interesting to see how the unit operates in the Manitoba winter!

Yesterday when we had our Thanksgiving turkey, it was chilly and really windy - 30 40 km wind. I sheltered the Big Easy between the BBQ and the house. The turkey was 7.45 KG, injected with Creole marinade and coated with the dry rub (commercial combo that came with a scary syringe!) At full heat, it was done to perfection in 3 hours. The skin was a gorgeous mahogany, crispy, and the meat was tender and juicy. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the bird as it came out of the oven. S-i-l was too quick with the cleaver while I was hustling around getting the rest of the meal onto the table. So here's a picture of the cut-up bird.

CarvedTurkey1466.jpg

For tonight, I made another Cantonese BBQ duck as requested by the kids. After the duck was done, I added skewers of mini-sweet bell peppers and little taters. These don't seem to go with this kind of duck, but the s-i-l also made his specialty - oven BBQ ribs with his own rub and sauce.

6.1Duck1510.jpg

5.1MiniPeppers1511.jpg

I augmented the veg. with fried green tomatoes from 2 plants in my pallet garden

5FriedGreenTomatoes1534.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah,

Are those skewers part of the accessory set for the Big Easy and if so, where did you find them? Kerry and I have searched and searched with no success. Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

Dejah,

Are those skewers part of the accessory set for the Big Easy and if so, where did you find them? Kerry and I have searched and searched with no success. Thanks.

You can find all kinds of metal skewers on eBay.

A suggestion:

Many foods will slide down hanging skewers vertically. You can use these paper clips to clip on the tips of the skewers. I have seen these clips in stainless steel (may be just chrome plated).

dcarch

http://myitchyfingers.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/clip1.jpg

Yeah thanks. We know about Amazon but it is not a particularly great way for us Canadians to shop! We were hoping to find these locally or in Buffalo.

My 2004 eG Blog

Dejah,

You can find all kinds of metal skewers on eBay.

A suggestion:

Many foods will slide down hanging skewers vertically. You can use these paper clips to clip on the tips of the skewers. I have seen these clips in stainless steel (may be just chrome plated).

dcarch

http://myitchyfingers.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/clip1.jpg

Thanks. That's a good tip. As for eBay......skewers of the right length ought to be easily available without paying often exhorbitant shipping costs that make eBay shopping a bit of a joke.

My 2004 eG Blog

how about Home dept? there might be one near Buff. :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-Big-Easy-16-000-BTU-Oilless-Propane-Gas-Outdoor-Turkey-Fryer-12101480/100655049#.UlvwWhx1POg

you would have to see if they have the complete line of Acc. there as this seems to vary. with a planned trip, you might be able to order ahead to have delived at the store.

best of luck!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-The-Big-Easy-Chrome-Cooking-Rack-4984315P/100659428#.Ulvw2xx1POg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-The-Big-Easy-Chrome-Plated-Steel-Oil-Less-Fryer-Leg-Rack-2248975P/202018247#.UlvxGBx1POg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-The-Big-Easy-Kabob-Holder-9918789P/202018248#.UlvxQBx1POg

they seem to have a "buy online, ship to store" Ive seen some of these at my HD.

Edited by rotuts (log)

how about Home dept? there might be one near Buff. :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-Big-Easy-16-000-BTU-Oilless-Propane-Gas-Outdoor-Turkey-Fryer-12101480/100655049#.UlvwWhx1POg

you would have to see if they have the complete line of Acc. there as this seems to vary. with a planned trip, you might be able to order ahead to have delived at the store.

best of luck!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-The-Big-Easy-Chrome-Cooking-Rack-4984315P/100659428#.Ulvw2xx1POg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-The-Big-Easy-Chrome-Plated-Steel-Oil-Less-Fryer-Leg-Rack-2248975P/202018247#.UlvxGBx1POg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-The-Big-Easy-Kabob-Holder-9918789P/202018248#.UlvxQBx1POg

they seem to have a "buy online, ship to store" Ive seen some of these at my HD.

Thanks, rotuts, but we did try all of the usual suspects in both Buffalo and the GTA.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna: The horizontal skewer is from 2 packets of 4 that I got from Superstore a couple of years ago. They are just barely short enough able to go in horizontally. The vertical ones I just got from Walmart or Superstore. I also found some "twisted" ones, thinking they would keep vegetables from sliding off, but I can't find them in my kitchen! The vertical ones are lighter and longer. I can bend the ends to fit horizontally when used to hang the poultry, but I don't remember WHY I use the lighter ones! :rolleyes:

That's a good tip on the paper clips, dcarch! I have lots of them in my desk. I found potatoes stay on well, and these never budged on the skewers. I have also used potato at the end of veg skewers to keep everything from falling off. The mini peppers work better than chunks of peppers, but they are often too expensive. :angry: This weekend, a bag, which filled the above skewers plus 5 more were for $2.98!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Anna: The horizontal skewer is from 2 packets of 4 that I got from Superstore a couple of years ago. They are just barely short enough able to go in horizontally. The vertical ones I just got from Walmart or Superstore. I also found some "twisted" ones, thinking they would keep vegetables from sliding off, but I can't find them in my kitchen! The vertical ones are lighter and longer. I can bend the ends to fit horizontally when used to hang the poultry, but I don't remember WHY I use the lighter ones! :rolleyes:

That's a good tip on the paper clips, dcarch! I have lots of them in my desk. I found potatoes stay on well, and these never budged on the skewers. I have also used potato at the end of veg skewers to keep everything from falling off. The mini peppers work better than chunks of peppers, but they are often too expensive. :angry: This weekend, a bag, which filled the above skewers plus 5 more were for $2.98!

Thanks, Dejah. Perhaps because we were at the end of BBQ season skewers seem in short supply.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Dejah,

The Pekin duck you see in the photo was a bargain at $2/lb! Kerry and I would love to turn said duck into Cantonese duck in the Big Easy and wait with bated breath for your advice.

My 2004 eG Blog

Congrats, Anna and Kerry! Beautiful looking duck you got there. :smile:

My BBQ duck is pretty basic - learned from watching my Mom. Not sure what ingredients you'd have up on the island, but...

I blanch the duck in big pot of hot water, about 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup of vinegar. Hang it up by the armpits and let it dry for a few hours.

Mix a marinade with 3 - 4 tbsp of brown bean sauce, 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine, 1tbsp sugar, 2 tsp 5-spice powder or one whole star anise, 3 - 4 green onions - whole, a couple cloves of chopped garlic, a few slices of fresh ginger, and a piece of dried orange peel. Mix everything together and fill the cavity when the duck is dry to touch. Suture close the openings - neck and butt. I am sure Kerry would do a splendid job on that!

If you don't have brown bean sauce, you can use a mixture of hoisin and oyster sauce with star anise with all the "greenery".

I pierced the skin on the fattest parts, then stuck it in the cage. I cooked it on high from the beginning, but I think next time, cook at 3/4 heat with the lid on, then pull off the lid and finish cooking at full heat for the last 30 minutes or so. My duck was done in about 2 hours...Must start keeping notes!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Onto beef in the Big Easy. Couldn't really tell the time as my propane tank ran out 25 minutes into the cooking. :angry: Probably because of the 2 chickens I did just before that for a couple of our wonderful neighbors.

Made a run to Walmart down the street and picked up the second tank I had been planning to do. Forever the procrastinator, but I'll never change.

So, I think I pulled the roast at 140F on the instant read, but it was already 7:45 pm, and it was dark.

The meat smelled wonderful as it was cooking, with only Montreal Steak Spice coating the roast. Also did some skewers of mini-bell peppers and potatoes. All turned out well! Made green peppercorn gravy with some of the dripping and a package mix but with fresh green peppercorns. Didn't really need the gravy. Saved most of it for the leftovers tomorrow.

3BeefBigEasy1593.jpg

4BeefBigEasy594.jpg

5BeefBigEasy1596.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com