• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Broom and Dust Pan

Shel_B

OK, I need a broom for my small kitchen. Don't laugh - it may be hard to believe, but I've never bought a broom before. Either my wife or housekeeper bought 'em, or I've used "legacy" brooms. So, what's a good brand or style to get for a small kitchen that has some narrow spaces to get into?

What about dust pans? Most that I've used are too thick or poorly designed, and end up leaving a line of debris that doesn't get swept into the pan. Any suggestions for a good one, one that works as it should?

Thanks!

... Shel

I have converted many to these kitchen brooms that are generally around $5 at Korean and Vietnamese markets. They are flexible and pick up fine things like flour very well. As to the dustpan, I find that to be more about technique.Sweep into dustpan, pull pan back a couple inches and sweep again as needed.

003.JPG

004.JPG

RubberMaid Dust pan with handle (Lowes, Home Depot)

Quickie Lobby Broom

I spent a year and a half using such items at Disney California Adventure as a daytime custodian (the guys in the whites) 10 years ago and I'll never go back to a long broom and "bend down to use it" dustpan again.

IMAG0194.jpg

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

RubberMaid Dust pan with handle (Lowes, Home Depot)

Quickie Lobby Broom

I spent a year and a half using such items at Disney California Adventure as a daytime custodian (the guys in the whites) 10 years ago and I'll never go back to a long broom and "bend down to use it" dustpan again.

attachicon.gifIMAG0194.jpg

I think I need one of these!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I recommend a good corn broom, they work good and will last for many years.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-334-authentic-corn-house-brooms.aspx

A good metal dust pan will best kiss the floor and accept dirt better than any plastic model.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1477-no-stoop-dustpans.aspx

I also recommend the Sh-mop brand wet and dust mops. The various mops are washable and reusable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sh-mop&sprefix=sh-mo%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ash-mop

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

As to the dustpan, I find that to be more about technique.Sweep into dustpan, pull pan back a couple inches and sweep again as needed

Another technique that works very well is after the the first sweep into the dustpan, turn the pan 90 degrees and set it at the end of the dust line...sweep the line into the pan and then sweep a few more times while sliding the the pan slowly backwards.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Cool broom Heidih.. curious if dust, lint holds on to the bristles like in most nylon brooms.

Paul

That is always my pet peeve, always removing the dust that clings to the end bristles.

Nut.. I use a vacuum on my wood floors it has a removable sucking handle.

Its good to have Morels

Cool broom Heidih.. curious if dust, lint holds on to the bristles like in most nylon brooms.

Hard to describe. It holds on but right at the bottom. I just run my hand lightly across the bottom and pull it off. The bristles are so fine that it does not get up into them

I lived away up north in Ely Minnesota for a time, and several of the older homes that I visited had solved that dustpan problem. A small section of kitchen baseboard was hinged, and opened to a small box (reached from the basement). Sweep the debris into the box, and go downstairs once in a while to empty it into the trash. Brilliant.

I keep trying to figure out how to fit one of those into my house.

• Like 1
sparrowgrass

I lived away up north in Ely Minnesota for a time, and several of the older homes that I visited had solved that dustpan problem. A small section of kitchen baseboard was hinged, and opened to a small box (reached from the basement). Sweep the debris into the box, and go downstairs once in a while to empty it into the trash. Brilliant.

I keep trying to figure out how to fit one of those into my house.

This is a magic idea which should be revisited. I guess the whole-house vacuums do something like that where you can have the little opening you can sweep stuff into? But a box of some kind seems like it'd be way easier to retrofit and a lot cheaper. :)

How large was the box?

Shel_B, you frustrate me; you live diagonally opposite in the country from me! I can buy the broom-dust pan combo at Publix all day for less than $10.00. Problem is, Publix is reagonal to the Southeast! Then again, you've got Trader Joe's ... %)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I never saw the box, but the opening in the baseboard was a bit wider than a normal broom and maybe 2 or 3 inches high. I guess the size of the box would depend on how much room you had at the point in the basement, and how often you planned on emptying it. (I have an old dirt floored cellar--maybe I will skip the box :laugh: )

sparrowgrass

I never saw the box, but the opening in the baseboard was a bit wider than a normal broom and maybe 2 or 3 inches high. I guess the size of the box would depend on how much room you had at the point in the basement, and how often you planned on emptying it. (I have an old dirt floored cellar--maybe I will skip the box :laugh: )

I'm moving soon - if I end up implementing this I shall report back. :)

• 7 months later...

One place that you can get brooms from is abatix.com.  They have a variety of brooms as well as dust pans that are priced affordably.  I know how frustrating it can be when a dust pan is too thick and nothing will go into it!  Here's a link to one of the brooms from abatix: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=LAGRCP6374&catlist=255" LOBBY DUST PAN BROOM]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all! Well, I am here to tell you that I will never go back to "normal" brooms, since I've been using rubber-bristled ones the past couple of years. I have a couple of sizes, and I just finished sweeping outside, and nothing grabs the fir needles like the rubber broom. I have an extra head not attached to the handle, and when I want to crouch down and sweep into the large dustpan, I'm amazed at the way the rubber bristles seem to catch everything. You can also clean it easily if you need to, by simply hosing it off. It's good stuff! :-)