• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for sandwich cookie fillings?

rajoress

Hello all,

I recently bought this great rectangular fluted cookie cutter which my mom said - "that would be great for sandwich cookies". So now I've been roped into making these for Jewish New Year (although they're not related to the holiday in any way!). So I've made the chocolate cookies (from Fran Bigelow's chocolate cookbook) but am stumped as to what to fill them with. All I could come up with was white chocolate ganache but I'm afraid that'll be too boring. We already have mint, nuts, apple and honey desserts so trying to think of something different. Anyone have any ideas for sandwich cookie fillings?

Thanks!

Ruth

I like cherries with chocolate. Perhaps simply a cherry marmalade? If you had not already baked them I would have suggested a small hole in the top cookies - just large enough to have a cherry centered in it.

I know you've already got mint - but I'm of the conviction that mint & chocolate together are integral to the stability of the universe. I'd pipe mint filling into those cookies in a heartbeat.

What about something coffee flavored in between?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

This may sound boring, but a combination of sweetened cream cheese lightened with whipped cream is great in chocolate sandwich cookies. Like the best version ever of that 60's icebox cake with Famous chocolate wafers and whipped cream. I use the mixture for a brownie "cheesecake" sundae and students go crazy for it.

Peanut butter - in ganache form? or maybe just mixed with some confectioner's sugar to stiffen it a bit, roll the exposed edge in crushed peanuts?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Or, over in the "tuna" (prickly pear) thread, there are ideas for making a variety of tasty sweet treats. Assuming you're somewhere with a Mexican/Latin produce section, you could pick up some of those to mix in with one of your fillings. They'd not only taste and look great, they're certainly different enough to invite interesting conversation.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I made super tasty chocolate cookies once using cherry butter and a chocolate ganache for the filling. They were thumbprint style cookies rather than sandwich, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a sandwich cookie as long as you got the filling textures right. I would layer them, though, rather than mixing the cherry butter into the ganache - part of the enjoyment of the cookies I made was that I layered the two (cherry under the ganache) and as a result you got some mixing of the cherry flavor into everything, but you'd also get more of a taste of the pure cherry butter, which was very bright and fruity against the rich chocolate. I find sometimes when fruit flavors are just mixed in to the chocolate the end result is kind of muddy tasting.

I've also used a milk chocolate caramel frosting recipe that would probably be pretty good with chocolate cookies, if you're willing to go chocolate-and-more-chocolate with the flavors. (I've misplaced the recipe, but it was essentially a milk chocolate whipped ganache only before melting the chocolate into the cream, you caramelized some sugar and then combined that with the cream. To prevent it from being over the top sweet I usually tried to use a less sweet milk chocolate or had some spare dark chocolate on hand to mix in if the taste seemed to need a little more of a chocolate hit once the milk chocolate and caramel cream were combined.)

Spiced nectarine buttercream, seville marmelade reduction with a hint of dark chocolate ganache, mocha Royal icing, peanut gianduja, and cinnamon Royal are all very popular flavours here with my chocolate cookies....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Thanks all for your great and inspirational replies! I ran out of time (and energy after having to clean and cook also) so I made it easy on myself. I did whipped white chocolate ganache with a little raspberry puree added in (used for the first fruit course!) and whipped milk chocolate ganache with roasted ground coffee beans folded in. I was afraid the coffee beans would give a bitter crunch but because they were inside milk chocolate and between two chocolate cookies, the taste was amazing - no bitterness.

Thanks again!

Ruth

Thanks all for your great and inspirational replies! I ran out of time (and energy after having to cleaning carpets and cook also) so I made it easy on myself. I did whipped white chocolate ganache with a little raspberry puree added in (used for the first fruit course!) and whipped milk chocolate ganache with roasted ground coffee beans folded in. I was afraid the coffee beans would give a bitter crunch but because they were inside milk chocolate and between two chocolate cookies, the taste was amazing - no bitterness.

Thanks again!

Ruth

White chocolate and raspberry is just one of those timeless combinations that just work. I must admit that the coffee beans are intriguing, i think I'll give that one a try on the weekend and let you know how it turns out :rolleyes: