• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to pre-make mojitos?

MPruett

Ok... so a couple that my wife and I are friends with are having their entire house renovated, and it's causing them a bunch of stress.

We were thinking that we'd make them a "mojito kit" with some rum, simple syrup, limes, mint and a bottle of club soda, until it occurred to us that they may be lacking most of the stuff that makes a bar or kitchen.

So I got to wondering about how I could make some sort of mojito mix out of the same stuff that you'd make a normal mojito from, except not require any knives, cutting boards or muddlers.

I got to wondering about infusing the simple syrup or lime juice with mint, or maybe mixing everything but the club soda together, in hopes that the rum will keep it all from spoiling for a while.

Any experience with this kind of thing? Any ideas?

Mint and lime are notoriously bad ingredients for bottling drinks in this manner, I'm afraid! I'd strongly urge you to choose a different drink, as the Mojito really demands a la minute preparation and fresh ingredients. Drinks with largely shelf-stable ingredients -- Old Fashioneds, Manhattans, Negronis, Martinis, etc. -- can all be bottled to splendid effect; if you're insistent on something fizzy, you could make a base and add soda to it. And if citrus is required, lean lemon instead of lime, which goes south within hours.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts