• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Sherry

Beusho

I've recently tried some recipes with sherry with some great results

What is the opinion on storing this stuff? Freezer, refrigerator and how long will it keep after opening?

Thanks for any advice!

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

Well, it really depends on the type of sherry you're talking about. As a general rule, the lighter in color they are and/or drier they are, the more careful you should be in storing them cold and the sooner you should drink them once opened. Finos and Manzanillas, you probably have a week. Things like Amontillado, probably 2.

Once you get into oxidatively made sherries (Oloroso, Pedro Ximinez, Moscatel), you're looking at months or years without significant change. I've had bottles of completely black Pedro Ximinez open for a year - they just don't fall apart.

Thanks,

Zachary

Edited by Zachary (log)

Thanks Zachary, you obviously know your sherry. I was just looking for a simple dry sherry for cooking, was thinking: Lustau Palo Cortado Península Sherry or Taylor Dry Sherry. The lustau is a little darker but I don't know anything about the categorization of sherry, not a big drinker, is there any way to categorize them so I'd know a good way to store them if I didn't know all the details of sherry making, basically I just like the flavors after most of the alcohol has evaporated. Thanks again!

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

Hmm.... I would guess that the Lustau is about 4x as expensive as the Taylor. If the cost is not an issue, use the Lustau. It's definitely better, both for drinking and cooking. I'd think you could have that open for a month with no problem.

Thanks,

Zachary

Agree with Zachary. You can,however, extend the life quite a bit by using the little vacuum stoppers to pump out most of the air.

Especially true if you're only cooking, not drinking.

For cooking I'd go with the Taylor.