• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Jacob's Farmers' Market burns down

Anna N

Sad news today for the vendors and customers of this popular market.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/story/2013/09/02/waterloo-st-jacobs-fire.html

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I suspect that's going to be devastating to the economy of the area for a while. The broom maker in that building was one of the only ones in Ontario. A great place to get some broom straws to use as cake testers!

My daughter and her friend were planning a day excursion this month -- something they had promised themselves for years. Procrastination and all that......

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I suspect that's going to be devastating to the economy of the area for a while. The broom maker in that building was one of the only ones in Ontario. A great place to get some broom straws to use as cake testers!

downtown St. Jacobs will still have Hamel Brooms. the farmers market is actually a few kilometers away, on the edge of northern waterloo

my wife and I were at the market last thursday.. I heard on the news tonight that they are definitely rebuilding , and that the open air portion and other buildings will be open for this thursdays market.

For those that will be missing the inside vendors , most have stalls at the kitchener farmers market , downtown kitchener. both markets are owned and operated by the same company and have many of the same vendors

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow