• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alki Beach restaurants

I love going to Alki Beach. The fact that I'm just a few blocks away means that I go a lot. The view is great, and it's a lovely stretch of coast for a taking a walk. However it bothers me to no end that there are so few good restaurants down there. Most are mediocre, and could be so much better, considering the great location.

Another such mediocre restaurant opened up on Alki beach this week - The Bamboo Bar and Grill, which replaces the Chinese place that wasn't very good. It is owned by the same person who owns Pegasus Pizza on Alki, just down the street. I like Pegasus pizza very much, so I had high hopes for his new restaurant.

However after my recent lunch at Bamboo Bar & Grill, I'm sorry to report that it was just ok, nothing special. The place itself is kind of cute - done in bamboo w/ tiki torches that are fake but cute none the less. I can see this place maybe attracting a crowd of singles and young people who are looking for a place to drink & socialize rather than eat great food (along the lines of Dukes which is also on Alki now). The menu features a variety of appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, salads, and maybe a dozen or so entrees. I ordered the Philadelphia Steak Sandwich, which was slices of (underseasoned) grilled steak along with grilled red & green peppers, onions and melted provolone served on a french roll. Adequate, but not great. The fries that came with it were disappointing as they were thick processed fries, not hand cut, and not fried crisply, but had more the texture of baked. When I asked about the fries, I was told they were not hand cut because they didn't want them to seem like fast food or fish n chip fries. So in their minds they think they are serving upscale fries.:blink:

So that's the scoop on the newest restaurant to open on Alki.

Where do you like to go on Alki? Any other stories, good or bad, about restaurants you've been to along Alki Beach in West Seattle?

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Thanks for the review BH.

I'm a big fan of Pegasus but have never tried any of the other places on Alki. I particularly love the pizza with the fried pepperoni strips on it.

Would you consider La Rustica to be on Alki (probably not I imagine). I actually have never made it there but have heard great things.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Would you consider La Rustica to be on Alki (probably not I imagine).  I actually have never made it there but have heard great things.

tighe, La Rustica (4100 Beach Dr SW) is considered on Alki beach (but much further down the beach than the main part of Alki). The food there is very good upscale Italian cuisine. It's very popular neighborhood restaurant. I will see if I can link a sample menu.

• 2 years later...

I'm bringing this thread to the top to update and relate a couple of changes and upcoming changes for Alki beach (W. Seattle).

A new 48 room hotel is in the works for Alki Beach (right next to Dukes Restaurant on Alki). It will also include 2 new restaurants, a day spa and underground parking. 4 stories high. ugh. I don't think it (the hotel) fits with the neighborhood. I hope at least the 2 new restaurants will be good.

The Celtic Swell Pub and Restaurant has replaced the old Liberty deli (across the street from Liberty statue). I have not eaten there yet, but they have a very warm & inviting gas fireplace insisde, to go along with the Irish and pub menu. I think they are also open for breakfast on weekends.

The large grocery store on Alki Ave. that was not too long ago renovated has folded, as of a few weeks ago. I wonder what will happen with that large space?

A Thai restaurant has replaced the Italian place who was upstairs of what used to be Mamey's Cuban restaurant. Mameys has also gone out of business, and renovations are underway for a small Mexican restaurant in that space. I hope it's a taqueria!

Ohmygod! A hotel at Alki! How awful!!!!! I wonder what kind of hoops the owner had to jump through to get that approved. I've always thought a B&B would be cool, but that's just too much.

I've heard that another grocery store may go into the Alki Grocery space.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I live right up the hill from Alki Beach and am happy to report that the Celtic Swell is a good addition to the neighborhood. I've been in a handful of times and have had great service at the bar, as well as in the dining area. Haven't had a lot of the menu offerings but the meat pies are rather tasty, they make a delicious burger and fries, and I'm fond of the leek soup. Good selection of beers and whiskey and I've heard that the open mic night (Monday) brings in all sorts of weirdoes and their instrumets (I mean that as a compliment).

Plus, they offer a baked potato topped with Heinz vegetarian baked beans!

For those of you that don't like a hazy pub, the Celtic Swell does not allow smoking until after 10pm. They seem to do a good amount of business for dinner and the one time I've been there for lunch was fairly busy.

Lots of good looking Irish men seem to hang out at this joint, if that's your thing. The owner also seems to be present and is a friendly sort.

lemony

Ohmygod! A hotel at Alki! How awful!!!!!  I wonder what kind of hoops the owner had to jump through to get that approved. I've always thought a B&B would be cool, but that's just too much.

I've heard that another grocery store may go into the Alki Grocery space.

I attended the Alki Community Council meeting and learned that area is not zoned for hotels, but the owner is trying to get it rezoned...so the hotel is not a done deal yet. If the hotel including 2 restaurants doesn't go up, condos will go up in that space.

Also, in the future, parking down at Alki may get more difficult, because some in the neighborhood are trying to get the parking rezoned with time limits in the residential area in afternoons and evenings for non residents... still in the works as well. That could possibly affect anyone planning on dining in the Alki beach area for more than 2 hours as parking near restaurants will become even tighter than it already is. We'll have to see what happens.

I had lunch yesterday at Siam' Pura, upstairs with a window table and excellent view of the beach. I ordered from the lunch menu, Bangkok Beef (thin slices of beef stir fried w/ mushrooms, onions, green onions and sesame seeds) and a small cup of chicken w/coconut milk, galangal, mushrooms soup that was excellent. Neither dish had heat though, and I don't know if that was my fault for not asking for 2 stars or I didn't read the menu closely enough. But the quality of ingredients and flavor (especially the soup) was excellent. I look forward to returning.

When I looked up the planning on the City of Seattle site, it didn't mention a hotel, either. Hope it doesn't happen.

And as a frequent visitor I hope that the parking restriction doesn't happen! I understand that it's a pain for everyone to park, though...

A friend and I had drinks and apps at the Celtic Swell and while we will go back, we weren't impressed. The sausage rolls were vastly undercooked, resulting in raw pastry, and the Calamari was ok, if nothing to write home about. But, like I said, we'll be back to try the entrees. It is nice to have a pub on the beach!

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

When I looked up the planning on the City of Seattle site, it didn't mention a hotel, either. Hope it doesn't happen.

Project #2404965 , 2536 ALKI AVE SW, in Design Review, but no permit yet. The land is currently occupied by a Pizza by the Slice place that I didn't even realize was there, as well as Alki Mail Dispatch, which is moving, & Surf Boutique...and next to Dukes Restaurant.

I had an occasion to eat at Spuds earlier this month. The fries were great, the fried prawns had improved from my last visit, but I'm still not that keen on the coating they use.

I used to be a loyal Spud-er, but don't care for their food now that Ivar's owns it.

Sunfish is pretty good, though.

A Thai restaurant has replaced the Italian place who was upstairs of what used to be Mamey's Cuban restaurant.  Mameys has also gone out of business, and renovations are underway for a small Mexican restaurant in that space.  I hope it's a taqueria!

A co-worker asked about what I think is the Italian place that BH mentions here. Beach Cafe? She said that it closed very abruptly. She had been dining there for years, liked the food, liked the owner, and is curious about what happened. Anyone have details?

Hungry Monkey May 2009

had dinner at celtic swell on friday. very family oriented place...packed at 8pm, we got the last table.

food was not great, but ok. i had bangers & mash with a side of putridly grey over-boiled broccoli and rob had shepherd's pie.

the mash was totally unseasoned and the salad oddly (and under) dressed. rob (the brit) thought it all very authentic...but agreed that that wasn't really a compliment. would return for a pint after a walk on the beach in winter and maybe a snack, but not for meal.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Alki Hotel article

Here's an article on that Alki Hotel in the Seattle Times today. What a dreadful idea!