• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for refrigerator with an ice maker that makes clear ice

Soup

I've always understood that the only way to make clear ice is to first boil the water. Perhaps that's incorrect. But if it is correct, not sure how an ice-maker could make that happen.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

No such machine for the home refrigerator, as far as I know. Boiled water, filtered water, distilled water, cloudy just the same.

There are dedicated clear ice cube machines for the home, however. I think.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

No such machine for the home refrigerator, as far as I know. Boiled water, filtered water, distilled water, cloudy just the same.

There are dedicated clear ice cube machines for the home, however. I think.

dcarch

Turns out you're right... Here's one: http://www.compactappliance.com/EdgeStar-Portable-Stainless-Steel-Clear-Ice-Maker/IP211SS.html?cgid=Appliances-Ice_Makers-Clear_Cube_Ice_Makers

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Even Viking refrigerators do not produce clear ice. They do, however, sell a separate, freestanding ice machine which makes clear ice.

If clarity is your primary criteria for quality ice, the Viking -- and similar machines by Scottsman, KitchenAid, Whirlpool and Sub-Zero, as well as probably several others -- will do the trick. The problem is they make ice that is in all other respects, crappy. It's small, warm (for ice) and wet.

The TL/DR on that topic is that making good clear ice cubes at home is very difficult, and the best results don't come from machines.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Hi Soup,

When I had a RO/DI water filter I found that my generic fridge made clear ice. It was not 100% clear, but it was vastly better than what I saw before I installed it. You can get a filter setup for something like $200 off Ebay, and put it inline with your existing icemaker water line. You may find that this does the job; if not at least you will have tasty ice and drinking water.

I had originally installed the filter for the benefit of my reef aquarium, but the good ice and water was a nice side benefit.

Hi Soup,

When I had a RO/DI water filter I found that my generic fridge made clear ice. It was not 100% clear, but it was vastly better than what I saw before I installed it. You can get a filter setup for something like $200 off Ebay, and put it inline with your existing icemaker water line. You may find that this does the job; if not at least you will have tasty ice and drinking water.

I had originally installed the filter for the benefit of my reef aquarium, but the good ice and water was a nice side benefit.

That's interesting. There is no purer water than distilled water. I used distilled water and the ice cubes were still cloudy.

Ice is always crystal clear. The cloudiness are caused by tiny air bubbles, not so much impurities.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Impurities would provide nucleation sites for tiny air bubbles, perhaps--but you didn't have any better luck with DI water. Interesting. Good luck with your quest!

I did come up with a little gadget for the home refrigerator. It worked much better. I was almost there. Then the thing broke. I have not had the time to continue the project yet.

dcarch

Hi Soup,

That's interesting. There is no purer water than distilled water. I used distilled water and the ice cubes were still cloudy.

Ice is always crystal clear. The cloudiness are caused by tiny air bubbles, not so much impurities.

dcarch

actually there are ultrapure waters used in scientific applications purer than distilled.. google type 1 water or milli Q ... From what I understand there are processes now that produce ultra pure water that even surpasses those standards.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Hi Soup,

dcarch

actually there are ultrapure waters used in scientific applications purer than distilled.. google type 1 water or milli Q ... From what I understand there are processes now that produce ultra pure water that even surpasses those standards.

That is true. Distill water may have dissolved compounds which have lower boiling points than water.

dcarch