• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pastameshugana

The Food Photography Topic

107 posts in this topic

You're much too kind, Diana.  Lots of great advice on this thread.  I think there is possibly an older thread, but it's been a while.  I'll have to go look.

A simplification:  most good food photography consists of great light, good aesthetic sense and attention to detail (i.e., Simon_liver's point about "dirty plates" upthread).  Equipment may play a role in enhancing a photo; that being said, a crappy photo will be apparent regardless of whether you used a camera that cost thousands of dollars or a cheap cell phone.  Don't worry about the tool you're using.  It took me a while to have that epiphany.

PS.  If you look back on the blog far enough, you can see how my photography evolved over time.  It was pretty crappy when I first started.

2 people like this

The Spamwise Chronicles

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

Just testing, please ignore me. Hope this is an acceptable place to experiment. If not, please redirect me.

SD cardDSCI0011.JPG

Dropbox: download then upload

20170107_133638.jpg

Editing: cut and paste in download

20170107_133638.jpg

Well that didn't work...

Edited by Kerala (log)

@Kerala  

I think your Chicken needed to rotate 1`80 :

Ck.jpg

I used to drink that same Chabils , and use snow , when available as you have

TJ's ?  it used to be quite good many years ago @ 8.99   then it went up 2 bucks  ( here in MA ) and had

no chablis flavor at all !

2 people like this

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kerala

I think your Chicken needed to rotate 1`80 :

Thanks rotuts, that is what I was trying to do! Hate showing up my grossly inadequate abilities...

As for the Chablis, it's just a random old pic to see what happens when I try and post. Not Trader Joe's- I'm in the UK. Quick bit of googling reveals it's Maurice et Fils. I probably got it from Morrison's, currently at £12 a pop. Must have been on sale!

1 person likes this

A timely bump to an important topic.  As much as I have doubts about subscription software, this afternoon I upgraded my Photoshop from version 7 to what they call Creative Cloud.  Things are new and familiar all at the same time.

As I was uploading my dinner pictures I noticed the file sizes are now much larger.  Undoubtedly a setting somewhere.  Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

I do very much like the feature that I can now synch my iPad pictures without ever connecting the iPad to the computer(s).  This alone is a great improvement.

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As I was uploading my dinner pictures I noticed the file sizes are now much larger.  Undoubtedly a setting somewhere.  Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

It all depends on what you intend to do with the final image.

What file format are you using to save your pictures? If your images are for posting on the internet or sending in an email, then JPEG's will do. It's a compressed image file format that allows you to decrease the file size. Especially if you use the option "File>Save for Web". With that option, you can adjust the picture quality and see the file size change as you change the "Quality" setting. Make sure you are viewing the "Optimized" tab...the file size should be shown in the lower right corner of the user interface window. When you change the quality, the file size number will also change.

If you intend on printing out your images, then TIFF would be the better file format, even though the file size will be quite a bit larger when compared to JPEG's. TIFF is a printing format.

Note that TIFF's can now be saved with layers, which increases the final file size. If you don't need the layers, then make sure you don't check the "Layers" box at the bottom of the user interface/save window.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

I use .png for posting on the web, but I believe I've figured out the difference.  If I open the original image file as an object in Photoshop I get large files.  If instead I choose edit in Photoshop I get normal sized files.