• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pastameshugana

The Food Photography Topic

101 posts in this topic

You're much too kind, Diana.  Lots of great advice on this thread.  I think there is possibly an older thread, but it's been a while.  I'll have to go look.

A simplification:  most good food photography consists of great light, good aesthetic sense and attention to detail (i.e., Simon_liver's point about "dirty plates" upthread).  Equipment may play a role in enhancing a photo; that being said, a crappy photo will be apparent regardless of whether you used a camera that cost thousands of dollars or a cheap cell phone.  Don't worry about the tool you're using.  It took me a while to have that epiphany.

PS.  If you look back on the blog far enough, you can see how my photography evolved over time.  It was pretty crappy when I first started.

1 person likes this

The Spamwise Chronicles

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters