• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Photography Topic

pastameshugana

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

As great as the cameras (and the pictures taken with them) may be in iPads, iPhones, Androids, etc. - in my opinion, they just can't match what a good, true camera can do. 

That very much depends what you mean by a 'true, good camera'. Many cell phone cameras are better than many dedicated cameras. You really would have to match price ranges.

My  cell phone camera is better than my Canon Eos 5D Mk IV in some situations. Not many, but some. And the Canon cost around 10 times what the cell phone cost.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@JoNorvelleWalker - have you tried or been able to transfer pix to your desktop using WiFi?  I tried today, and basically it's not supported any more - at least not on my A6000 with Sony software (play memories). Once I upgraded to OS 11.whatever (Big Sur), that was all she wrote.

Still can transfer to my iOtherstuff though (mobile works).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

@JoNorvelleWalker - have you tried or been able to transfer pix to your desktop using WiFi?  I tried today, and basically it's not supported any more - at least not on my A6000 with Sony software (play memories). Once I upgraded to OS 11.whatever (Big Sur), that was all she wrote.

Yes, took three days to set up, but is fast and works great.  My desktop, however, is Windows.  And I am not using the Sony software.  Nonetheless I'm pretty sure you could do the same with Apple.

What I did was install the Windows FTP server.  The FTP server is a component of Windows but is not installed by default.  I set up a user account for the camera and created a directory for the camera to upload pictures to.

On the camera I entered the IP address of the server (in other words the IP address of my desktop), the user name, and password.  (The camera was already set up on the WiFi network.)

Now to up load pictures I press the display button on the camera, then the Fn button (which in display mode is the image upload button).  The camera takes a moment to connect to WiFi, then I select my images to transfer.  When the ones I want are selected I press the menu button to begin the transfer.  When the transfer is complete the camera asks if I want to up load more images.  If not, the process is finished and the pictures are in the directory I specified.

Edit:  I forgot to mention, I also set up an FTP server on my iPad.  That works too.  The camera supports connections to three different FTP servers.  Sony has promised new firmware to increase the FTP server count to nine.

Now if I could only up load pictures to my Roomba...

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

While answering a chocolate question earlier this afternoon I revisited this image:

Filled03052019.png.65dfd944744f3253af8ea

It illustrates one of the shortcomings of iPad food photography.

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

While answering a chocolate question earlier this afternoon I revisited this image:

My phone does that, too. Shadow is smaller, but still.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have learned how to avoid this.

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And the method is?

Lighting that's not behind you.

Jo, what is that picture with the shadow?.  Its chocolate in something that's sitting on something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Lighting that's not behind you.

Jo, what is that picture with the shadow?.  Its chocolate in something that's sitting on something.

Well, yes, but sometimes circumstances dictate lighting that's behind you.

The picture is 1800 grams of chocolate sitting in something that's an egg mold, sitting in something that is a large roasting pan.

Egg03052019.png.d2047ae393e623f97c94a10c

• Like 2

Progress.  I now have figured out how to display the camera viewfinder on my iPad Pro.  I don't have problem with camera shake, however last night's hand held dinner was out of focus.  It is easy enough to focus with the lens wide open, but once the lens is stopped down for depth of field it is almost impossible to refocus accurately.

This calls for a tripod obviously, and I will give the tripod another shot.  I've ordered some extension tubes and the extension tubes may help.

• Like 1

Reading Joanie Simon's Picture Perfect Food:  Master the Art of Food Photography.  Love how amazon delivers at midnight on publication day.

• Like 2

The off-script wedding photograph has to be my favourite.   

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 12:31 PM, weinoo said:

On 4/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, took three days to set up, but is fast and works great.  My desktop, however, is Windows.  And I am not using the Sony software.  Nonetheless I'm pretty sure you could do the same with Apple.

What I did was install the Windows FTP server.  The FTP server is a component of Windows but is not installed by default.  I set up a user account for the camera and created a directory for the camera to upload pictures to.

On the camera I entered the IP address of the server (in other words the IP address of my desktop), the user name, and password.  (The camera was already set up on the WiFi network.)

Now to up load pictures I press the display button on the camera, then the Fn button (which in display mode is the image upload button).  The camera takes a moment to connect to WiFi, then I select my images to transfer.  When the ones I want are selected I press the menu button to begin the transfer.  When the transfer is complete the camera asks if I want to up load more images.  If not, the process is finished and the pictures are in the directory I specified.

Edit:  I forgot to mention, I also set up an FTP server on my iPad.  That works too.  The camera supports connections to three different FTP servers.  Sony has promised new firmware to increase the FTP server count to nine.

Now if I could only up load pictures to my Roomba...

Not sure I am talking about the same problem/situation but with iphone, every photo I take is automatically transferred to both laptop and desktop, iPhoto folder on toolbar.   Click on it and select photo(s) in order to pull them to screen.  

eGullet member #80.

46 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Not sure I am talking about the same problem/situation but with iphone,

Right, but we're both talking about SONY digital cameras with WiFI/bluetooth.

Transferring photos from my iPhone is not a problem.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@blue_dolphin could you share your camera technique for this shot from the breakfast thread?

IMG_3996.jpeg

The camera I am using is just a point and shoot (9 year old Canon PowerShot G15) so pointing and shooting is pretty much the extent of my technique! 

At this time of year, I have nice indirect lighting from a south-facing window and I routinely underexpose by 1/3 stop to provide some wiggle room before I blow out the highlights. 

For this photo, I used the default f/5.6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a detail from last night's dry aged ribeye:

http://tribade.org/Food/Detail07102021.jpg

Note the unpleasant mostly crescent shaped highlights.  I've been struggling with this problem for some while.  Food photographed in the kitchen has its own set of lighting issues but at least no weird highlights like these.

Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here is a detail from last night's dry aged ribeye:

http://tribade.org/Food/Detail07102021.jpg

Note the unpleasant mostly crescent shaped highlights.  I've been struggling with this problem for some while.  Food photographed in the kitchen has its own set of lighting issues but at least no weird highlights like these.

Any suggestions?

Looks fine to me...is there a naked bulb somewhere?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Looks fine to me...is there a naked bulb somewhere?

There is an overhead fixture with three clear glass halogen bulbs.  The fixture has a frosted glass bowl shaped diffuser, however the diffuser has a decorative pattern of non-frosted glass.  I think the non-frosted glass is responsible for the unwanted highlights.  Because of the heat involved I hesitate to stick in some random diffusing substance.

• Like 1