• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rolling puff pastry

Rana

Hello everyone,

Ok I have been trying to make croissant dough (puff pastry) just like the ones I see in videos and books. I CANNOT seem to be able to roll the dough thin enough. It remains really thick. If I apply more pressure in order to press down it tears right away. And YES and temperature of the butter and the dough is cold (not freezingly cold).

My question is do you think the reason is the dough itself? I use the standard dough I always make: flour, milk, water, yeast, salt and sugar.

You have several options to explore here...

I'd recommend letting it warm up a bit, as your yeast wakes up and provides you some lift, it'll soften the dough, and you should be able to roll it much more easily.

Another option, is to beat your dough. Starting at the center, gently, but firmly use you rolling pin to flatten the dough with a series of well placed smacks, always maintaining an even thickness.

Hope it helps.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Here is a link to a pictorial recipe for making croissants du buerre.

http://lacuisinedannie.20minutes.fr/recette-croissants-facon-boulangerie-355.html.

Google will do a pretty good job of translating this for you.

I don't know if this recipe differs much from the USA ones, but it has the virtue of being authentic.

Hope it helps.