• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bill Klapp

How Do You Feel About Buying and Using e-Cookbooks?

I too prefer hard copies.  I have a bunch on my Kindle, 99% of which I bought on sale for $1.99 and I flip through them when I buy them but I tend to not look at them ever again.  On the other hand, yesterday I was looking something up in my ice cream book put out by Bi-Rite Creamery and before I knew it a good half hour had passed.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I too prefer hard copies.  I have a bunch on my Kindle, 99% of which I bought on sale for $1.99 and I flip through them when I buy them but I tend to not look at them ever again.  On the other hand, yesterday I was looking something up in my ice cream book put out by Bi-Rite Creamery and before I knew it a good half hour had passed.

I find the same with cookbooks. I love reading most books on my e-reader, but with cookbooks, I definitely prefer an actual book. I really like to jump back and forth and that's a pain on an electronic device. And I want colour for the images so that limits me to smartphone, tablet or laptop and none of those are ideal either. 

Edited to add: I really still like having some Kindle cookbooks though, because I want the portability! But I wish my Kindle had colour and made it easier to browse around a cookbook's sections. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have no room for more physical books in my apartment.  I wish that could stop me.  However I am more apt to read a physical book, and far more likely to cook from it.

I have a dear friend who also prefers hardback books as opposed to ebooks. She has lined every room of her condo with book shelves and has stacks of books piled on almost every flat surface. She really could use an ereader but refuses. She also happens to be a member of BookCrossings.com (click)It's a web site that encourages readers to leave books for others to find. Sort of like a Johnny Appleseed to encourage people to read. Members can print out  bookplates/bookmarks and tuck them inside the book explaining to who ever finds the book that the book is free and that they can, in turn, leave the book somewhere for others to find when they're done reading it. There's more involved but it's a little too complicated to go into.

My friend was, at one time, the number 1 "read'em and leave 'em" BookCrossing members in the state of California. :hmmm: It was after seeing inside her condo that I made the decision to never buy hardback books again, if I could help it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver