• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Bill Klapp

How Do You Feel About Buying and Using e-Cookbooks?

79 posts in this topic

Thanks for the link.  I didn't know Modernist Cuisine at Home was available in that format.  But since I can get the book at the library almost any time I want, I think I shall pass on buying it.  I'd feel differently, I think, about the full MC.

On 8/29/2013 at 11:04 AM, annabelle said:

To me, hand-written notes are a charming aspect of used books. It tells me that the book has been loved and used enough by the previous owner to have been important enough to her to annotate. I have my great-grandmother's handwritten notes in her one and only cookbook that are my only link to her as a living woman. While my handwriting is not nearly as elegant, I can only hope my own children and future grandchildren will see this the same way in my heavily used and splattered books: I cared enough to cook meals to please my family.

This.  I've inherited hundreds of cookbooks, and many of my mother's and grandmothers' handwritten recipes. To preserve them, I've put them in a scrapbook, which I use from time to time. (Amongst those, I have recipes written on newspaper coupons and the back side of a flour bag. My Grandmas were classic.)  :)

And, I've nearly ruined the screens on enough electronic devices while trying to cook. The only things I really miss about it, and liked, was that I could enlarge the font on the computer, and do calculations for increasing the recipes...but  I don't have much in the way of counter space in my home-kitchen to set an IPad or any other computer while cooking.  Plus, with a hardcopy cookbook, I can set it on a bar stool next to my cooking station, and if I knock it over, no big deal. With an IPad, that doesn't go over so well. My favorite recipes are mostly handwritten out, and taped to the inside of various cupboard doors.

1 person likes this

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I travel enough and I have my family's curse of being a fast reader. For me, ebooks have huge benefits over paper books.

I don't bring my cookbooks into the kitchen. Instead, I copy the recipe onto a sheet of paper (or print a copy, if it's from an ebook), which I then use to cook from and make notes. If it's a keeper, I type it into my computer with my notes.

For those of you who like to cook from an iPad or other tablet, I'll just note here that touch screens work very nicely through a plastic ziplock bag.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

I've inherited hundreds of cookbooks, and many of my mother's and grandmothers' handwritten recipes. To preserve them, I've put them in a scrapbook, which I use from time to time.

Same here.

I keep the hard copies in a safe place.
I've recently started digitizing the irreplaceable stuff and archiving it on M-Discs (1000 year archival discs.)

I'll store those in a very safe place as well as distribute copies to family.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
2 people like this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist, contrarian and natural born skeptic who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!