• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

FWIW, I have done the same sort of thing with physical books via scanning a recipe into a PDF file and then using OCR to capture the text.  If you have the right tools available, it is surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it.  As you might imagine, I have come to the point where I generally prefer e-books to physical books.  There are many reasons for that, but one of them is that "piles" of  un- or under- read e-books just don't weigh on me the way that piles of physical books do.

Yes, I prefer PDF ebooks.

I store recipes in Gmail, Google Drive and Google Keep—easily searched/sorted via keywords and tags/labels.

Adobe Scan: PDF Scanner, OCR

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

FWIW, I have done the same sort of thing with physical books via scanning a recipe into a PDF file and then using OCR to capture the text.  If you have the right tools available, it is surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it.  As you might imagine, I have come to the point where I generally prefer e-books to physical books.  There are many reasons for that, but one of them is that "piles" of  un- or under- read e-books just don't weigh on me the way that piles of physical books do.

I store recipes in Gmail, Google Drive and Google Keep easily searched/sorted via keywords and tags/labels.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I store recipes in Gmail, Google Drive and Google Keep easily searched via keywords and tags/labels.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I store recipes in Gmail, Google Drive and Google Keep easily searched keywords and tags/labels.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

I store recipes in Gmail, Google Drive and Google Keep easily searched keywords and tags/labels.