• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morello Cherries From Germany

weinoo

I was just gifted a jar of Morello cherries. They are a brand called Landsberg, and are from Germany.

The ingredients are sour cherries, water and sugar.

I read through a thread or two about making cocktail cherries and it doesn't seem as if these are a good candidate for that.

So - has anyone used these? What are some good uses for them?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are the cherries sweet-sour like cherry jam? Use as a topping on breakfast pancakes or waffles. If the cherries are too sour on their own, sprinkle on some confectioners' sugar or other sweetener.

Or use as a topping on ice cream. Maybe vanilla or chocolate ice cream sundaes with the cherries, chocolate chips or shaved chocolate, chopped toasted almonds and whipped cream.

1+ on the black forest cake Idea.

finding a decent recipe might be a challenge though.. I personally would stay away from any that use maraschino cherries or pie filling. Just my opinion but those things should never come near a real black forest cake and run if there is any mention of boxed cake mix. lol

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I do not know that particular brand, but most European sour cherry varieties are some species of the French griotte (called "amarene" in Italy), and are marked more by a reasonably intense, round, full, delightful cherry flavor, rather than the level of tartness usually found in pie cherries in the U.S. I planted a bunch of cherry trees of all varieties here over a decade ago, and the Morellos, when fully ripe, are possessed of enough sweetness to be eaten right from the tree. (Of course, I climbed my grandfather's pie cherry tree when I was a kid and ate pie cherries, so it could be just me.) They are also used widely for producing sour cherry syrups, which can be mixed with club soda to make a refreshing drink or used in any number of cooking applications. I like the pancake and ice cream ideas. The classic amarene gelato in Italy is made with your jarred gift.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com