• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don't Wash Your Raw Chicken

Shel_B

2 hours ago, pbear said:

My $0.02's worth.  But that's all anyone can do on a topic like this.

Given the packaging you describe, opening in the sink makes sense.  While the chicken is there, you might as well rinse it.  FWIW, I generally rinse whole chickens but not parts.  And disagree with those who say it serves no purpose.  Obviously rinsing doesn't remove all bacteria, but it reduces the load somewhat.  That's why we shower before going into the community pool.

Main thing is you want to work with a cutting board on the counter, preferably one with a groove around the edge to contain drips.  Of course, you should have separate boards for foods which will be cooked vs. those which will not.  (Sometimes called boards for raw and cooked, but that's not quite the distinction.)  Personally, I wear a disposable glove on my non-knife hand when handling meat, raw so I can toss the germs and cooked so I don't get germs on it.  Excellent hand washing technique will serve both purposes, but gloves are easier and faster.  IMHO, these two things - separate boards and hand hygiene - are what really matters.  Not rinsing only got a lot of press because it was novel.

If you want to be especially safe, sanitize everyting when you're done.  I don't bother.  Rather, I just wash up.

I'm with you.  Good hand washing technique, separate cutting boards and proper cleanup are prudent. If I must treat my food as if it were nuclear waste I'll find something else to eat. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog